Hi my mom and I are on Verizon. My mom has an iPhone 5. I have an unlocked and rooted Galaxy Nexus and can WiFi tether my computer no problem using it. I want my mom to be able to do it, too using her iPhone 5. Is that possible without jailbreaking her phone or would it require jailbreaking?
    03-30-2013 06:58 PM
    No jailbreak needed...

Is your mom on a Verizon 'ShareEverything' plan?

If so - tethering is included in that plan - and all tethering falls under the plan limit - whatever that is... to set it up, Open the Settings app, and go to 'Personal Hotspot'... turn it on.

If not on a ShareEverything plan, tethering can be added to the plan - 2GB per month for $29.99 I think...
    03-30-2013 07:18 PM
    If not on a ShareEverything plan, tethering can be added to the plan - 2GB per month for $29.99 I think...
    yeah, but on the GNex I can do it without adding it to the plan by using an app. The FCC fined Verizon for trying to block these apps from the Google Playstore because a condition of their block C spectrum license prohibits them from interfering with how subscribers use their data. Anyhow, you don't have to pay them to do it if an app will do it and if they try to stop you, they are running afoul of the FCC's rulings and the terms of their block C license. This only applies to Verizon 4G LTE phones because of how much of the block C spectrum they licensed. I don't know about ATT.

It may not be possible on the iPhone without jailbreaking but I have seen apps that will work if you jailbreak the iPhone. I was just wondering if there are any that don't require jailbreaking. And if not, what are the best apps to use if you jailbreak.
    03-30-2013 07:26 PM
    It all hinges on the plan you're on... if there's any grandfathered "unlimited" data on the line your mom's phone is on - tethering can only be added for $29.99 for 2GB use per month... if on a usage based data plan, or you're on SharedEverything, then tethering should be included, and you should be able to set up as noted above... if those settings are not there, look under Settings>> General>> Cellular and see if there's anything there about tethering.

As far as jailbreak goes... if you're on iOS 6.1.3 - there's no jailbreak for that as of now... but two of the popular jailbreak apps are MyWI and PDAnet.
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    03-30-2013 07:45 PM
    if those settings are not there, look under Settings>> General>> Cellular and see if there's anything there about tethering.
    Thanks, it is there but looks like they want you to pay.

As far as jailbreak goes... if you're on iOS 6.1.3 - there's no jailbreak for that as of now... but two of the popular jailbreak apps are MyWI and PDAnet.
    Thanks. jailbreaking an iPhone is like rooting an android, right? Or is it like unlocking the bootloader? Or both?
    03-30-2013 07:49 PM
    Check out iMore's jailbreak How-to & tips: Jailbreak | iMore.com
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    03-30-2013 08:03 PM