I use Bento Database in iPhone and iPad.
    Data transfer can basically done by sending a CSV file as an E-Mail attachment to the destination device. To import the data you can use the 'Open in' command from within the E-Mail client.
    But as you might know iOS has still a bug regarding the apps list of 'Open in' (not all apps supporting the desired file format are listed in the apps menu).

So does anyone know how to transfer the CSV file to Bento without buying and installing FileMaker on a MAC?

Thanks in advance.
    03-30-2013 06:57 AM
    I use Bento Database in iPhone and iPad.
    Okay.
    Data transfer can basically done by sending a CSV file as an E-Mail attachment to the destination device. To import the data you can use the 'Open in' command from within the E-Mail client.
    Understood
    But as you might know iOS has still a bug regarding the apps list of 'Open in' (not all apps supporting the desired file format are listed in the apps menu).
    Why is it a 'bug'? Couldn't it be a limitation of certain apps?

So does anyone know how to transfer the CSV file to Bento without buying and installing FileMaker on a MAC?

Thanks in advance.
    According to THIS, you can. My suggestion is this: If the app does not appear in the 'open in' options then do an iCloud and/or iTunes backup, uninstall the app and then re-install it.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    03-30-2013 03:30 PM
    Thanks JustMe'd for your reply.

Please read this

http://www.iphonejd.com/iphone_jd/20...n-in-menu.html

What you suggested I did already but the Bento still does not appear in the apps list.
    Suggestions in the above mentioned link are unacceptable because deleting other apps is going along with deleting the data. Anyway I tried it by deleting 4 apps. Bento still didn't appear in the apps list.

I think you are wrong when you say that there is a limitation in iOS 6.x.
    On iPhone in some cases 18 apps are displayed. After deleting 4 of them the situaution didn't change. On iPad up to 27 apps ate displayed. So there may be a limit but obviously not with a number of apps less than 27 on iPad or 18 on iPhone.

On my pint of view it's definitely a bug in iOS.

If I understand you right, there is no other possibility to import in Bento.
    03-30-2013 03:43 PM
    Thanks JustMe'd for your reply.

Please read this

iPhone / iPad Tip: Missing apps in "Open In..." menu - iPhone J.D.
    Okay, I'll read it momentarily.

What you suggested I did already but the Bento still does not appear in the apps list.
    Suggestions in the above mentioned link are unacceptable because deleting other apps is going along with deleting the data. Anyway I tried it by deleting 4 apps. Bento still didn't appear in the apps list.
    Oh okay. I'm sorry it didn't for you.

I think you are wrong when you say that there is a limitation in iOS 6.x.
    On iPhone in some cases 18 apps are displayed. After deleting 4 of them the situaution didn't change. On iPad up to 27 apps ate displayed. So there may be a limit but obviously not with a number of apps less than 27 on iPad or 18 on iPhone.

On my pint of view it's definitely a bug in iOS.
    You could very well be right, and I didn't say it wasn't a bug. I asked "why is it a bug?" and "couldn't it be the limitations of certain apps?"

If I understand you right, there is no other possibility to import in Bento.
    The only option I found was that listed in the link I provided aside from syncing with Filemaker Pro in which you stated, "without having to buy and install..."
    03-30-2013 04:04 PM
    Thanks JustMe'D for your efforts.

I think the limitation is not going along with an app but with iOS.
    Developers register their app during installation for handling special file types like PDF, PPTX, etc.
    In my case it's the file type CSV and their are only a few apps like Tap Forms, Numbers, and Bento installed for which this file type is registered.

So I cannot see that there is a limitation for the number of apps regarding to special file types. PDFs for example ate accessible by more than 10 apps on my device.

I suppose it's a kind of RANDOM BUG which was supposed to be fixed with iOS 6.
    But it's still there and Apple doesn't talk about this bug.

The reason why I don't want to install FileMaker on a computer is that I expect the minimum functionality of an app designed for mobile devices. And that is: syncing with other devices and access to cloud storages. Big disadvantages for Bento!

So I wait for an awesome version of iOS 7 (8, 9, ...).

Thanks a lot and Happy Easter.
    03-30-2013 04:19 PM
    Okay, I'll read it momentarily.

Oh okay. I'm sorry it didn't for you.

You could very well be right, and I didn't say it wasn't a bug. I asked "why is it a bug?" and "couldn't it be the limitations of certain apps?"

The only option I found was that listed in the link I provided aside from syncing with Filemaker Pro in which you stated, "without having to buy and install..."
    Thanks for the assist 'D in trying to help and looking at this for me. Hope you and the family have a good Easter.
    03-30-2013 08:09 PM
    [Moderator Note] Moved to Apps & Games Section
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 04-01-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Clarrification
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-30-2013 08:16 PM
    Thanks JustMe'D for your efforts.

I think the limitation is not going along with an app but with iOS.
    Developers register their app during installation for handling special file types like PDF, PPTX, etc.
    In my case it's the file type CSV and their are only a few apps like Tap Forms, Numbers, and Bento installed for which this file type is registered.

So I cannot see that there is a limitation for the number of apps regarding to special file types. PDFs for example ate accessible by more than 10 apps on my device.

I suppose it's a kind of RANDOM BUG which was supposed to be fixed with iOS 6.
    But it's still there and Apple doesn't talk about this bug.

The reason why I don't want to install FileMaker on a computer is that I expect the minimum functionality of an app designed for mobile devices. And that is: syncing with other devices and access to cloud storages. Big disadvantages for Bento!

So I wait for an awesome version of iOS 7 (8, 9, ...).

Thanks a lot and Happy Easter.
    Thanks for the assist 'D in trying to help and looking at this for me. Hope you and the family have a good Easter.
    You're both very welcome, and happy Easter to you and your family. Take care...
    03-30-2013 08:21 PM
    The app has to provide the "hook" to allow registration for "open in." You might want to email support at Bento and ask them when they'll have an update to support this.
    03-31-2013 10:12 AM
    iNotes4You:

Where did the CSV originate? When you open Mail and tap (not tap-hold) the CSV file, does it open? If so, what application does it open? If it doesn't open, it should display the file and the file type.

I've noticed that CSV files created by Excel on a Windows machine will show up in Mail with an Excel logo under iOS 6. When you tap on it, even though the extension was .csv, it appears as .xls with the file type as "Microsoft Excel 97-2004 worksheet". Strangely, the file will import into Bento under iOS 5.

The only way I have found to make this work under iOS 6 is to use a public server, as it appears to strip out the Excel information. For example, if you put the CSV file in Dropbox, you can then open Dropbox on the iOS device, tap-hold the file and "Open in Bento" will appear, and the file will import.

TSGal
    FileMaker, Inc.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-03-2013 10:30 AM
    iNotes4You:

Where did the CSV originate? When you open Mail and tap (not tap-hold) the CSV file, does it open? If so, what application does it open? If it doesn't open, it should display the file and the file type.

I've noticed that CSV files created by Excel on a Windows machine will show up in Mail with an Excel logo under iOS 6. When you tap on it, even though the extension was .csv, it appears as .xls with the file type as "Microsoft Excel 97-2004 worksheet". Strangely, the file will import into Bento under iOS 5.

The only way I have found to make this work under iOS 6 is to use a public server, as it appears to strip out the Excel information. For example, if you put the CSV file in Dropbox, you can then open Dropbox on the iOS device, tap-hold the file and "Open in Bento" will appear, and the file will import.

TSGal
    FileMaker, Inc.
    Thanks for your reply.
    The CSV was generated in two ways:
    1 by Microsoft Access
    2 by Tap Forms mobile database app

and alternatively accessible

1 from an E-Mail (Open in for attachment)
    2 from Dropbox (Open in for file on cloud)

I looked at the file and their are definitely no other informations included than the pure data.

None if these actions opened Bento.
    Bento is not in the 'Open in' app menu.

Reinstalling Bento didn't solve the problem.
    So I think it's the iOS bug which prevents Bento importing the file. On my iPad it works. For any CSV file Bento is shown in the app list.

The main problem is that you cannot solve this problem by going an alternate way like transfer via iTunes FileSharing or importing a backup created on one device on another device. I cannot really understand why there is just one option implemented in Bento. So if you don't have a PC installation you cannot use the app when having the above mentioned problem.

This is a big disadvantage.
    04-03-2013 01:49 PM