Hi

My sister shot some video of me on her iphone 5 yesterday which I grabbed off her phone via usb file copy and then synced the movie to my iPhone 5 using iTunes

I would like to edit the video in imovie on my iPhone 5, but the catch appears to be that imovie will only allow for videos recorded directly on the device to be edited

Is there a way to get imovie on my iPhone to look at movies that I have in my iphone video roll and not just look at movies that have been recorded natively on my device?
    03-30-2013 06:03 AM
    You know how you can email a photo and then save that photo directly to your camera roll (as though it were taken with your iPhone)? Maybe try that with the video.
    03-30-2013 09:48 AM
    You know how you can email a photo and then save that photo directly to your camera roll (as though it were taken with your iPhone)? Maybe try that with the video.
    Thanks for the tip Alli

I'll give that a go and see if it works. The .mov file is 500Mb so may take a while to do the round trip via email

Thinking about it, I'm now wondering if the same trick will also work if I save the video to my camera roll from Dropbox, if at all possible
    03-31-2013 04:45 AM
    Dunno, but worth the try. Let us know. I'm sure the question will pop up again!
    03-31-2013 09:59 AM
    Due to the size of the video file (577Mb), emailing the file to myself as an attachment was not an option

I tried the following

uploaded the 577Mb video file to Dropbox and and then "sent" the file to myself via email
    uploaded the 577Mb video file to Google Docs and then "sent" the file to myself via email

None of the above methods appears to allow for the 577Mb video file to be sent as an attachment via email, only as a link

In the end I did the following using two apps that I already had on my iPhone:

Uploaded the video file via an SMB share on my laptop to GoodReader on my iPhone
    From GoodReader open the file in iDownloads+
    From iDownloads+ copy the video file to my iPhone Camera Roll
    Once the video file is in the iPhone Camera Roll then iMovie will recognise it for adding to an iMovie project

This worked for me, but I'd like to think there is an easier way to do this...

For now, all's well that ends well

Thanks for the tips and guidance
    Last edited by Acapulco Rolf; 04-01-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    04-01-2013 11:02 AM
    Glad you got it done...sorry it took so many steps. It is a shame there's not an easier way. If I hear of anything, I'll be sure to post here.
    04-01-2013 08:55 PM