Tapatalk 2 App

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The tapatalk HD for iPad is that more like tap1 or tap2? I didn't splurge for the HD when it came out since the 1 was universal.

I didn't either. After comparing the regular version with the HD version, I didn't see a compelling reason to get it.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded tapatalk2, and it seems very nice. It will take some time getting used to. I can't figure out how to get it in landscape mode to reply to messages or post something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

There is currently no landscape support, they are working on it.

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Granted 4 bucks isn't a lot of money at all, I just paid for the Tapatalk app a few months ago. And barely use it. So I'll pass

delta7

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Nice app but I'm sure I cannot multiquote on the IOS version like I did on the android version a while back.

Waiting for them to add this feature.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Nice app but I'm sure I cannot multiquote on the IOS version like I did on the android version a while back.

Waiting for them to add this feature.

Nope, read my review the best you can do is copy one post and quote another, I'm still waiting on multi quote as well.

getdamned

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hah! I was actually making a tongue-in-cheek comment that given the avarice of the Tapatalk dev's? charging ppl several dollars for the app, then once users buy it they try and tack on a extra $8-$10 of in-app purchases for full functionality or features that should NOT be additional charges once I've just paid for the app. A whopping $5 for color schemes?! Give me a break.

And for those who want to make the argument about how can a developer provide free lifetime updates and survive? Millions of dev's do it every single day! In fact, the minute fraction of dev's who try and charge for major version updates are dwarfed by those who do not and will not. It's not a matter of "everyone does it"; that's simply not true.

Second, as far as necessity for income; do you realize how many potential NEW customers are out there who have not yet bought the app-- and the features added to the new major update may just be the impetus that pushes those potential customers over into paying for the app.

Adding features and functionality is of benefit to those who have already purchased the app, obviously, but these same updates and features benefit the developer by attracting previously indifferent or unconvinced consumers to finally take the plunge. To re-charge paid customers is something more attributed to major software companies. Is it a double standard that Microsoft or Apple can charge for new versions/updates to their software, but small-time dev's can't?

I'm not saying what anyone can or can't choose to do with their products; I just think considering the generally accepted nature of iOS apps, this is an aberrance rather than the norm, by far. Why can Microsoft or Apple get away with it without second thought? These are major companies that spend millions in R&D, QA, have hundreds or thousands of employees on their payrolls; they pay royalties and licensing fees, they have a physical presence, they have so many more expenses to recoup vs. a $99 developer's license.

Sure, the developer's time spend coding and testing their apps, providing support to end-users, I can appreciate.

My only poignant point is that when dev's appear to be acting egregiously in their respect and handling of the very customer base that has helped get them to the point they are at now, customers feel shafted and I just know that personally, I see the developer(s) of this app to be consumed in penny pinching, "squeeze every dime from them" attitudes, unparalleled by so few other dev's. I say this from personal experience, as I have well over $1,000 (probably over $1,500) in paid apps-- so I have no qualms about supporting software developers... I just have problems with feeding outright avarice.

Also, consider that client purchases of this app are NOT the only buck being made off of this software. They're also charging on the other end-- at the forum/board software integration level.

They're milking every angle possible... and that's their right; I just won't support it any longer. I'm sure a great tear-jerker to them... but I guarantee I'm not the only one with this perspective.

Finally, I'm a software developer, myself; and I have several friends who are iOS developers... and they are in-line with the way I see things: It's their right, but it's not necessarily right. These developers (a handful of which, have extremely impressive and well-developed products) have realized other ways to capitalize on their successful apps, without screwing their customer base (the ppl that have ultimately enabled their great success)... or at the very least not imparting a feeling of indignation that results in the isolation and loss of previously supportive customers.

The key is not to re-establish a customer base (in so far as the adoption of a unique software, including a "spin-off / major overhaul" of existing software which is sold as a distinct product)-- the key is maintaining existing customers (this will help in many ways, including the facilitation of the mass adoption/acceptance of your software as a "standard", by default; by spreading positive word and recommendation of your product, etc etc).

But... as said, in reality, they could give two turds about losing me and my support... which is fine. That's life, and all they're doing is exploiting the benefits of capitalism. If it's working for them, they're on some level a success. Some may even say "shrewd" or "savvy"... "resourceful".

But I feel as long as I accept and acknowledge their right to handle the marketing and sale of their software as they choose; I should have an equal right to contest and express my thoughts regarding those same practices.

I realize why I had abandoned this app for ages. I had a bad impression of their "sell them the full version, or at least what they thought to be... then nail them with another $10 of in-app purchases post-sale to gain features that should have been included as a gratuity for purchasing their product and supporting them.

Again, I'm a programmer myself. I cannot fathom charging an additional $5, AFTER someone has purchased my software, to enable something as asinine as the ability to change colors. The reality is, the code/time/effort required to implement this is insignificant in comparison to the rest of this app; plus it is code that can be recycled/reused. Simply code the function to alter the color properties of the controls, then after that, it's merely a matter of passing arguments/parameters to that same function for each scheme. Reusable code, no extra effort, but an extra 99? a pop! To me, that's nickel and dime'ing the consumer with flagrant overpricing of denied basic features.

That's when I developed my distaste for this way of business, surely long before v2 was even a concept design.

So, to reiterate my point-- I'm not claiming they have no right or reasoning to do this. I'm not dictating concrete terms and conditions; merely expressing contempt for the way this app has appeared to be a classic bait-and-switch trap, from the early days; and IMO, continues to be just that-- this being a prime example of just that.

For every app that does this, there are inherently tens of thousands who do NOT dump previously paid users upon even a series of major upgrades.

It's not a necessary evil. It's necessarily evil, perhaps... but if my thoughts are taken as unfounded-- the empirical evidence backing my statements is out there, plain to see.

Not only from practical observation of trends and patterns of business ethics and approaches, but from personal experience as a programmer; but more importantly, from the experiences of relevant, proven successes in the context of iOS app development. When their peers disagree with these business ethics and practices; I must consider that I'm not merely a single dissenting opinion in a vast sea of approvals.

Any constructive arguments or counter-examples, I am open to considering. I'm not infallible; nor am I full of unwarranted and unsubstantiated derogatory claims. Remember? I paid for the original app, and grew to loathe not the software, but the socio-economic manipulation tactics hiding behind the scenes. If you're going to respond, please at least make an attempt at a logical or reasonable rebuttal, as it will give your ideas a sense of validity and relevance? which will only help to serve your interests and make you seem to be offering a rational argument. If I'm the fool here, please explain to me where I fall short in my points, and offer practical examples to support your thoughts. I can respect an educated, sensible retort-- "your stupid, l00zer, Lolz!?!" is unconvincing. My mind is open to your suggestions and thoughts. Please share.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Tapatalk had the users help with Tapatalk 2, I know, I was one of them. But I'm done stressing the point that v2 is NOT an update to v1 but it is a SEPARATE APP. Now, they don't get away with the plugins fully, there are 3rd party apps for that. But I understand the disdain for paying for color schemes, I have not bought them, I don't need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods