App to record online audio?

ealvin

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there an app you'd recommend that would allow me to record and save any kind of online audio so I can record radio shows? Free would be great but may not be possible. All of my searching only showed apps for recording offline audio like lectures, etc.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
save any kind of online audio? Hmm, I think there are Voice Recorder app, but not such a app to record online radio shows, this is illegal.

ealvin

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. FYI, is is not illegal to record off of the radio. I was in the radio biz for a long time and I can assure you that it is perfectly fine to do this. If it weren't, do you think we'd be allowed to have DVR and VCRs, which is essentially the TV equivalent?

Any other ideas for an app for this?

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. FYI, is is not illegal to record off of the radio. I was in the radio biz for a long time and I can assure you that it is perfectly fine to do this. If it weren't, do you think we'd be allowed to have DVR and VCRs, which is essentially the TV equivalent?

Any other ideas for an app for this?

I hear what you're saying, it's the same complaint I've had for years. I can walk into a .99 store and buy a cheap $3 AM radio and listen to the baseball game every night for free but when I download the same AM radio app like TuneIn and I am able to listen to the AM station for free but as soon as the game comes on it gets turned off and I'm blocked from it. I understand the licensing fees and all but c'mon man.

If there was an app to record off the radio then it would have to be designed to work only within radio apps that you want to record from. You wouldn't be allowed to record music from say YouTube then be able to move that song to a playlist.

ealvin

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but that's not correct either. You're allowed to record YouTube and there are Windows programs (apps) that will do that. It's all legal. Again, it's the same argument as the DVR example. How is recording YouTube any different that recording a TV show/movie? It's not, and is allowed for your personal consumption.

The game issue you mentioned is probably related to the rights holder's rights to the broadcast. The team may not allow the distribution online, only via the radio signal. They license the play-by-play for the local market only. There may be national rights holders, or the local station may have that right and choose to monetize the Internet stream by charging online listeners for the privileged of hearing the broadcast.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but that's not correct either. You're allowed to record YouTube and there are Windows programs (apps) that will do that. It's all legal. Again, it's the same argument as the DVR example. How is recording YouTube any different that recording a TV show/movie? It's not, and is allowed for your personal consumption.

The game issue you mentioned is probably related to the rights holder's rights to the broadcast. The team may not allow the distribution online, only via the radio signal. They license the play-by-play for the local market only. There may be national rights holders, or the local station may have that right and choose to monetize the Internet stream by charging online listeners for the privileged of hearing the broadcast.

What apps will record YouTube audio?

Gerald McRaney

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
You can go with "radio tracker" to record online audio. If you're looking for an inexpensive way to build up your music library, then this helps to save your money.

ealvin

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your suggestion.

For clarification, what I'll be recordeing on my iPad would typically be from Internet talk shows or online radio rebroadcasts (I record my mp3s on Windows). Given that "there's an app for that," it's surprising that this challenge has been so difficult to achieve. I've searched the web, asked a couple of Genius Bar guys, etc. -- to no avail.

Hopefully, someone will come up with a solution. :)

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/06/utahy4e8.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:

ealvin

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I know of TuneIn. I forgot about the record capability but of course one would be limited to the stations that are affiliated with the app. That would eliminate recording from SiriusXM as well.

I'll check this out but still looking for more generic sources. Thanks again.

19blondie9

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Tunein radio Pro has a record function. I love it because it also has a rewind feature so if you get distracted you can replay what you just heard. It has a sleep timer, record timer, and probably something else I'm forgetting to. Mention. Bummer is that one station I listen to for talk moved to iheart radio which is an inferior radio app as far as features are concerned. They finally added a sleep timer a few months ago. Tunein radio pro is excellent! I have both these apps because some stations I like are only on iheart.

Rich Finch

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the app you are looking for has been around a few years and I have been using it. It is called ooTunes. It has an alarm, snooze, plays and records. The record function will actually record LONGER than the 8 hours that was mentioned on the other app. I know as I have recorded 10+ hours just a week or so ago. It actually makes a temporary recording every time you use it and will store those for up to about 10 recordings, but you can permanently save them in the app so you can keep them longer. The alarm will also play songs from your downloaded music that is on your iPad. While the alarm is set, you can also push the clock symbol and the screen goes black and shows just the time, so the room is not as bright so you can sleep. It is a GREAT app, the only downside is if your radio station is broadcast through it, but I have found most of the ones I have wanted are.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if there were two issues at play here: 1) that due to Apple's restrictions on inter-app sharing it might be difficult for an app to record something happening in another app, and 2) that just because it's legal doesn't mean a developer has to make it easy. Most streaming services would likely prefer you didn't record/save their content, but instead consume it in-app. Related to this: inter-app saving could be easily broken by an update to one of the two. If they aren't from the same developer that could lead to issues.

mapstream

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
You can go with "Mappstream" to record online audio. This will definitely help you.

[URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mappstream/id735066334?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mappstream/id735066334?mt=8[/URL]

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal