Are people actually sabotaging Apple maps?

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I know that iOS6 maps have been absolutely terrible for some people, but I never really ran into a problem until now. I've searched for directions to Sudbury, Ontario several times and always had it take me to the right place. Now, suddenly the location of Sudbury has completely changed on the map. It's placed literally in the middle of nowhere. I dug a bit deeper and it looks like there has been a second "Sudbury, Ontario, Canada" added to the maps.

Could people actually actively sabotage Apple maps by falsely reporting cities in the wrong locations?

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I dont think Apple is gonna change the location of a city based only on customer reports, it should take way more than that, it's probably a bug, report the issue..

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Possibly, but I don't think Apple needs any help in sabotaging the product.

Relying on 3rd Party cartographers (not just TomTom, take a look at the long list of sources in 'Data from > Others) and then parsing all this info hurriedly into an app by what can only assume was using unpaid interns locked in a hallway closet somewhere in Cupertino has taken its toll.

Google has had a dedicated team of some 7000 people, plus all the Google cars / boats / backpackers working over several years - and still they're correcting stuff through feedback, new photos and recent cartography. But they've made the effort - unlike Apple. Apple is relying on its user-base to fix its screwup - small wonder then if miffed users start to take revenge into their own hands.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Possibly, but I don't think Apple needs any help in sabotaging the product.

Relying on 3rd Party cartographers (not just TomTom, take a look at the long list of sources in 'Data from > Others) and then parsing all this info hurriedly into an app by what can only assume was using unpaid interns locked in a hallway closet somewhere in Cupertino has taken its toll.

Google has had a dedicated team of some 7000 people, plus all the Google cars / boats / backpackers working over several years - and still they're correcting stuff through feedback, new photos and recent cartography. But they've made the effort - unlike Apple. Apple is relying on its user-base to fix its screwup - small wonder then if miffed users start to take revenge into their own hands.

Assume all you want... it's an absurdly naive notion. Apple not making an effort? Sorry, I'm not buying that load of used oats.

Maps never was as bad as it was portrayed - much was made about the kind of errors that plague every maker of maps - and require ongoing corrections of data that will never end.

Last edited:

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I dont think Apple is gonna change the location of a city based only on customer reports, it should take way more than that, it's probably a bug, report the issue..

Yup, I used the report feature to send a report to apple. I just thought it was weird that it was correct a week ago, but now it's wrong...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...snipped... Apple is relying on its user-base to fix its screwup - small wonder then if miffed users start to take revenge into their own hands.

Knowing Apple enthusiasts like I do, they want things perfect and when things are not, they will do whatever it takes to make it perfect and therefore, insinuating that miffed users (I'm assuming you mean Apple product users) may be taking revenge into their own hands is way off base and not indicative of the typical Apple product user, in my opinion....;)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

obviously you need to be reminded that this is Apples first go around with maps. was Google maps perfect when it was released? nope.

let's wait a while before we troll that avenue

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
obviously you need to be reminded that this is Apples first go around with maps. was Google maps perfect when it was released? nope....

Point taken. But Apple had over a year left with its contract with Google - a year that they clearly could have used before releasing their Maps to make a passing effort to get it right. Instead, they've rushed yet another product, clearly still in Beta, and embedded it into the iOS.

If they really want their users to clean up their messes (or participate in Beta programs) then these products should be left to users to install in a special category in the App Store.

No one ever forced early adoptees of Google Maps to embed it into their computers, removing a successful program in the process...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
i read somewhere (on here, perhaps) that the issue was with yelp and the quality of their data messing up the maps data...

I can confirm issues with Yelp data being overlaid on the Maps... My hometown in Iowa shows an eatery in my neighborhood - a residential area - that does not exist here, but does in a town with the same name in South Dakota... I submitted a correction with both Yelp and Apple Maps reporting error system.

localhost8080

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm issues with Yelp data being overlaid on the Maps... My hometown in Iowa shows an eatery in my neighborhood - a residential area - that does not exist here, but does in a town with the same name in South Dakota... I submitted a correction with both Yelp and Apple Maps reporting error system.

cool :) hopefully it gets sorted out quickly :)