Am I the only person that actually like the new Maps?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I used it to get to my new polling place this morning and it worked flawlessly. I'm still very pleased with Apple maps.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Since I've been in China since the release of iOS6 maps, my opinion is a bit skewed compared to others. Over here, Apple maps is much better than the previous Google powered one. The difference is really night and day, or I'd say about 3 years. It feels like Google maps stopped updating about 3 years ago.

Zedi Master

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You must be a lucky one. The map for my neighborhood looks... Okay.

But when I zoom in it all goes to h*ll. According to Apple, I live somewhere in the middle of 5 different streets with exactly the same name! Let me assure you, in the real world each street does have its own name. One of which is the repeated name. But only one!

This behavior has not changed since day one.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I like The new maps. I don't use maps a ton, and when I have so far it was mostly for fun and to see if it got me there accurately. It has been perfect so far for me. Once when I actually needed it I wasn't paying attention and took a wrong turn and it rerouted me quickly and accurately. Not to mention the user interface is very nice.

In the past I have had Google maps steer me wrong once or twice, so that is not perfect either.

ransonju

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Works fine for me. I like the turn-by-turn (when comparing to old google maps). I don't need transit information so that doesn't bother me.

tifftam84

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I acutally like maps as well. But it does have its issues. Once it never finised navigating me to my destination it just trailed off before i made it completely there. and another time it took me to completely the wrong location, even though it was reading the correct address and the pin was dropped in the right place.

ThomasJL

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I give it a thumbs-up. It works, it's faster, and I think it's more intuitive & nicer looking that the old google app was.

I don't use it in the car though, I have an old Tom-Tom for the car. But otherwise I use Apple maps quite a bit.

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
For those people using navigon or any other 3rd party app, when you are navigating somewhere, does the lock screen show your current location and next turn like apple maps does? I noticed mapquest doesn't do that. I like that about apple maps.

Also I think I noticed someone saying they use an external GPS with their device. What advantage is there over using the device's GPS?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Also I think I noticed someone saying they use an external GPS with their device. What advantage is there over using the device's GPS?
If you have a wifi only iPad, you must use an external device for GPS apps to work as wifi devices do not have autonomous GPS receivers in them.

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I like it too. I have retired my motionX GPS App that has served me so well. I like the fact that I can tell Siri to navigate me when I am in the car w/o pressing any buttons.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Nope, sorry - I don't much care for Apple Maps.

Yes, yes - there are bugs / significant cartography issues that will get worked out - eventually - and, yes, Google Maps in their early days had issues too. But Google never forced you to install it on an OS, overwriting a mature and functioning program. And Google now has years (and thousands of people) over the Apple Map app.

Recently, Apple has made quite a name for embedding unwanted / Beta products into their iOS - and its simply not on. If they want users to fix their bugs or try Beta products, leave them for user-install in a Category of the App Store.

And, as we're now stuck with Apple Maps, at least let users choose the Layers that are available. My local map is awash in, I'm guessing, Yelp icons (often to businesses that no longer exist) and its really very cluttered. Allow me to choose the info I want on my map app.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Nope, sorry - I don't much care for Apple Maps. <snip> And, as we're now stuck with Apple Maps...

You're not "stuck" with anything... there's this entire section in the AppStore called "Navigation".... go there. Find the app that satisfies your every want and need. Take the energy you have to whine about how Apple has failed you and use it to find something that doesn't fail you.

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I've used Maps quite a bit and haven't had any problems at all in my area. I use Waze more, though, and wish that Apple would incorporate some of its features.

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I just upgraded to a 4S with iOS6 and the 2 times I have used in and around Houston, TX, it has taken me to the correct intersection and then proceeded to direct me once in the opposite direction (left turn where it should have been a right) and another beyond the location on the right to an incorrectly placed pin (even though the street address was correct). I sent an error update from within the app for the incorrect pin but how do you tell them it made you take a wrong turn?

I do like the interface and ease of use as well as the navigation UI is simple yet good...they really need to move at the speed of lightening to eradicate such bugs so that people can use this as their daily driver so to say.

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
You're not "stuck" with anything... there's this entire section in the AppStore called "Navigation".... go there. Find the app that satisfies your every want and need. Take the energy you have to whine about how Apple has failed you and use it to find something that doesn't fail you.

Because of course, criticism against the glorious Apple corporation is not allowed! He is referring to the fact that it is embedded in the OS, you cannot change it as the default maps app and all apps that use location based services use it, and you can't change that. It's great that you love it, but for all the people that are having serious issues, it would be great to be able to embed one of those other maps apps you recommended into the OS. Just putting it in a folder means you can't see the app itself - not that it's not still used.

Last edited:

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
You're not "stuck" with anything... there's this entire section in the AppStore called "Navigation".... go there....

Trust me. I followed Tim Cook's direction and went there.

As underlined by Reconaddict (above), the fact is that Apple Maps remains the default and any map link in other iOS app will open in Apple Maps, not in the downloaded alternative. Its just an additional step I grant you, but please don't dismiss my 'whine' when Apple fobs off Beta software - and worse, embeds it as default - on users and then asks them to help them fix it.

Tim was right. And he fired folks who disagreed. When will the Macoyltes accept it?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2