Dropbox vs. Google Drive vs. Whatever?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I am considering Google Drive but saw there were others out there. I have an iPhone 5. Is one better than another as far as service ans what can you really do with this? I appreciate the help.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am considering Google Drive but saw there were others out there. I have an iPhone 5. Is one better than another as far as service ans what can you really do with this? I appreciate the help.

They are all cloud based storage so it will depend on your particular storage needs, ease of use and cost, if applicable. Dropbox is popular because it's easy to use, has cross-platform support and it's reliable. Still, read a view reviews and decide which is the best option for you.

05GT

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Dropbox still remains the cloud leader. I also use Box but they have file size limits. But I have 500GB of storage with them.

anon(2353369)

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
They are all cloud based storage so it will depend on your particular storage needs, ease of use and cost, if applicable. Dropbox is popular because it's easy to use, has cross-platform support and it's reliable. Still, read a view reviews and decide which is the best option for you.

What is the pros and cons for DropBox, I keep seeing that on my App Store from my iPhone 5?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It looks to me that dropbox ends up savings files to your iPhone thus taking up space, that's not good. the whole idea is to store it somewhere and be able to access it without storing locally and taking up space. Am I missing something?

05GT

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that with the app on my MBA. Took a lot of HDD space. I never bothered to check out the IP5 app data usage.

anon(596177)

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I use google drive. If you already have a gmail account then it's easy to get google drive storage space, just a matter of signing in. You get 5 gigs free, it's cross platform, and heres the part i like: on a desktop all of your google drive its sync onto any computer you have it installed on in a folder labeled google drive. on a mobile platform it's all cloud storage unless you opt to save something "for offline use" you can share docs in your google drive for public use or via web link for download as well if you choose, I think it's great and I don't need anymore than 5 gigs, however if ur a power user google give u an option for additional space for a fee.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Dropbox is great, very easy to use, on pretty much any platform and it hooks in to so many apps like 1Password and the like. It allows you to put pretty much any file in there and acts like a container instead of trying to organize things for you. It does keep things local the point of that is so you have access to your files whether you have an internet connection or not. There is nothing more frustrating than wanting to work on a file during a time when for some reason you just don't have a connection. It is also a form of backup, so that if things disappear out of the cloud as long as you haven't synced you still have a copy you can move and then sync back to the cloud.
iCloud is pretty good but it's very restricted and you have very little control over what is in it. Google Drive is OK but I found it really convoluted to figure out how to use it to put your files in and get them out. Microsoft's SkyDrive is really cool and with 25GB it has a ton of space but in the end after using all of those I found Dropbox to be the easiest to use.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
To me, that's a deal breaker. It;s all about the cloud, not local storage.

What exactly is drop box storing on your device. I have over 160 gigs on my and the app only takes up 34 mb on my iPhone. You have to make sure you're not storing it locally.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Dropbox. Kind of like Evernote vs competitors. Lots of third party support and get bonus storage by referring people :)

Speaking of Evernote, the upcoming version 5 looks good from the photos I've seen. I'll be glad when it is finally updated.

Last edited:

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I use Google Drive.
I moved all of my Doc to Google Drive, Photos to Picasa, my music to Google Play.
Everything is accessible from my iPhone and iPad.
I also use the The native Notes app for a few docs.
The one issue I have is accessing the spreadsheet app on Google Drive. Didn't like the way it played with my iPad. So I have a few frequently used spreadsheets on Apple's Numbers.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods