They really are improving maps

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm all for a nice UI and what not but I prefer for the application to get me from point A to B. I will be driving across country in 2013 and not sure I trust Maps to get me there without getting lost. I might stick with TomTom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm all for a nice UI and what not but I prefer for the application to get me from point A to B. I will be driving across country in 2013 and not sure I trust Maps to get me there without getting lost. I might stick with TomTom.

Doesn't Apple uses Tom Tom for the Map data?? I would suggest Navigon as a back up.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That was proven to be a rumor, and now the earliest you should hope to see an app from Google is the end of the year. Having said that I wouldn't count on it being any more than a wrapper for the mobile site. They have proven time and time again they are unable to write a decent app for iOS.

I have to disagree that your comment about Google writing good IOS apps are not true. If Apple did not want to come up with their own brand new standalone native app for Maps which I beleive will be great once the kinks are worked out and people keep sending in found errors by way of the the reporting link in the app, It will be a grwat app. If they did not make this decision they would have kept Googles map App since they had a 5 year contract on it.

Exactly. Why can't they just place the navigation from Androids and gear it for iOS?

It is not as easy as taking an Android based scripting and rewrite it to match IOS. It is a completly different platform and has to work in conjunction with the OS for Apple and not Android.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't Apple uses Tom Tom for the Map data?? I would suggest Navigon as a back up.

I think so but my tomtom app is WAY better then Maps. Never got me lost and POI are where they should be

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That was proven to be a rumor, and now the earliest you should hope to see an app from Google is the end of the year. Having said that I wouldn't count on it being any more than a wrapper for the mobile site. They have proven time and time again they are unable to write a decent app for iOS.

Exactly. Why can't they just place the navigation from Androids and gear it for iOS?

The Maps that Google put on Android are nothing like what they ever were on iOS. The iOS6 stock Maps app is not bad for their first go - and it will only get better. I prefer Navigon.

I prefer Navigon myself as well but giving the short ammount of time that the Native Apple maps has been out it is not as bad as people say and as long as we keep reporting mistakes we find by reporting them to Apple via the reporting link within the app i truly think this app will really be a great app but it is up to us to work with Apple in taking control of this.

How many times can we say that Apple gives us the ability to have a proactive approach along with them to help make an app better. I love it and will do my share to help Apple with anything they ask help with.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I prefer Navigon myself as well but giving the short ammount of time that the Native Apple maps has been out it is not as bad as people say and as long as we keep reporting mistakes we find by reporting them to Apple via the reporting link within the app i truly think this app will really be a great app but it is up to us to work with Apple in taking control of this.

How many times can we say that Apple gives us the ability to have a proactive approach along with them to help make an app better. I love it and will do my share to help Apple with anything they ask help with.

I'm not bashing the app. I use it everyday and sometimes just because. I've reported probably 50-75 errors to help them out. I was just saying not sure I trust it for cross country yet.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Lol how did Google do it with not just maps but Google EARTH lol

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

They have almost 7,000 employees on maps alone and a multi-year head start, that's how. When google first started, their maps were complete garbage.

rbattist

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Over the last couple of years, I have been amazed at how quickly Google has updated their maps for new and/or rerouted roads. How do they get this information updated so quickly?

In contrast, My 2012 BMW navigation update still doesn't have roads that were opened back in 2010. If Apple relies on TomTom or other GPS providers how are they ever going to keep up?

Last edited:

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Over the last couple of years, I have been amazed at how quickly Google has updated their maps for new and/or rerouted roads. How do they get this information updated so quickly?

In contrast, My 2012 BMW navigation update still doesn't have roads that were opened back in 2010. If Apple relies on TomTom or other GPS providers how are they ever going to keep up?

Google updates their maps via 4 ways.

1. They have partners from whom they license data. They do this for countries where they do not have a large presence. China is an example of this.
2. They send out cars with cameras and GPS to take photos of pretty much all major metropolitan areas and suburban areas.
3. They use satellite imagery to help them make corrections if needed.
4. They use crowd sourcing to help them keep up with POI and rapid changes to roads

Apple has Tom Tom as their partner, who generally does a very good job in the areas they have a large presence. They have other partners of course. I believe in China, they have partnered with a company called Gaode. They also use satellite imagery to make corrections to major roads and large POI. Finally, they also use crowd sourcing to help them correct POI, addresses, and incorrect street information. Crowd sourcing really has been the difference for Google in making their maps as good as it is. You have to remember, they've had as many as almost 400 million iOS users, and probably at least that many Android users moving around and helping them make corrections for the past 4 years. Give Apple some time, some data, and Apple's maps will improve in short order. One thing Apple will still lack though, is Street View, since that would require Apple to send out cars to literally take photos.

Last edited:

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Google updates their maps via 4 ways.

1. They have partners from whom they license data. They do this for countries where they do not have a large presence. China is an example of this.
2. They send out cars with cameras and GPS to take photos of pretty much all major metropolitan areas and suburban areas.
3. They use satellite imagery to help them make corrections if needed.
4. They use crowd sourcing to help them keep up with POI and rapid changes to roads

Apple has Tom Tom as their partner, who generally does a very good job in the areas they have a large presence. They have other partners of course. I believe in China, they have partnered with a company called Gaode. They also use satellite imagery to make corrections to major roads and large POI. Finally, they also use crowd sourcing to help them correct POI, addresses, and incorrect street information. Crowd sourcing really has been the difference for Google in making their maps as good as it is. You have to remember, they've had as many as almost 400 million iOS users, and probably at least that many Android users moving around and helping them make corrections for the past 4 years. Give Apple some time, some data, and Apple's maps will improve in short order. One thing Apple will still lack though, is Street View, since that would require Apple to send out cars to literally take photos.

Apple should take a page out of Nokia's books and strike deals with FedEx and UPS to use their trucks as data collectors. Probably the easiest and fastest way to keep data up to date.

mellimel2212

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
They have almost 7,000 employees on maps alone and a multi-year head start, that's how. When google first started, their maps were complete garbage.

Head start smead start lol apple is the richest american company and has the money and resources to have made a better maps than that if Google not to mention TomTom and multiple 3rd party apps (new and old)did it they could've done it also. Maybe if they spent that court time on maps than they could lol :D. Sorry had do say it

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Head start smead start lol apple is the richest american company and has the money and resources to have made a better maps than that if Google not to mention TomTom and multiple 3rd party apps (new and old)did it they could've done it also. Maybe if they spent that court time on maps than they could lol :D. Sorry had do say it

You apparently have zero understanding of how mapping works. When google started their maps stunk. They were absolutely awful. The only remedy is time to gather data. No amount of money will help that happen quickly.

Now, why don't you take your fandroid self back to android central.

mellimel2212

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
So I guess tom tom and all the others sucked too huh man please thats just u making excuses for apple. All I'm saying is no map system Google tom tom ect sucked the way apple maps did PERIOD

mellimel2212

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Never a phandroid just got common sense and aware of tech iOS or android I've used the 4 4s and 5 so I'm not just talking out my anal here

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
It's funny but... the biggest critics of Apple maps seem to be from people who don't have iPhones. I don't get it. That's like complaining about Acuras because you drive a Lexus.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's funny but... the biggest critics of Apple maps seem to be from people who don't have iPhones. I don't get it. That's like complaining about Acuras because you drive a Lexus.

Especially the Maps app. Which has been no worse in performance than my Garmin Nuvi765t.

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Where I am at, I love the Maps app. And I'm in Northwest Indiana.

I've found no errors and it works well for me.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
So I guess tom tom and all the others sucked too huh man please thats just u making excuses for apple. All I'm saying is no map system Google tom tom ect sucked the way apple maps did PERIOD

You obviously didn't use google maps when it first started. It was as bad as apples effort, and actually worse in many many ways.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my crappy white android device rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Uh, yeah, it did. Google maps was a putrid pile of dog poo when it first launched. The big difference was that there wasn’t anything to compare it to in those days.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative