iPhone 5/iOS 6/App Store Glitch or iPhone malfunction?

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
So needless to say that my iPhone has had some issues.
First was the fact that it rattles like no other. I was told by the Genius bar that this was normal. Okay
Next (i was only able to replicate this twice) my phone make a clicking noise like an indentation on the screen when I pressed the 1 or Q button on the on screen keyboard. I could also do it out of the keyboard. I took it back to the Apple store and had them take it apart to see if everything was okay. They said everything looked fine.

This is the third thing that has come to my attention. This happened when I very first got the phone and logged into the App Store to download a bunch of my old apps back onto the device. I tried to take a screenshot of it from the device, but the screen flashing wipes the data glitch across the screen away. It also disappears when the screen dims out. I was able to capture it on film this time though and I'm not exactly sure what to do. Do you think this is a hardware malfunction or a software? I can't always replicate it which was the biggest reason why I was unable to swap my device out on my second trip to the Apple store. I think a video is ample proof though.

The video isn't the greatest quality, but my Vita was the only thing lying around within reach that had a camera besides my iPhone.

Here is the video
iPhone 5 App Store Glitch - YouTube

EDIT: Guess I should have done a little more research it appears this has happened to quite a few other people.

dj2big

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have no rattle I believe you have. Lemon exchange it ASAP or get SquareTrade warranty added before your end of the first 30 days

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
You should have gotten your phone exchanged for the issues you have in the first place. Did you try a different store or apple support?

There are two Apple stores in Salt Lake City, I'm not quite sure where the second one is.
Needless to say I'm becoming a little weary of driving a half hour just to be told no. I'm just going to call Apple support this time.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
You can tell the genius - it might be OK for him/her but not for you. Ask him to walk over to the units on display and replicate the issue on an iPhone sitting there. It should have been replaced the first time around... mine doesn't do that and I would have got it replaced/returned...

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
The "rattling" is "normal". It shouldn't be much, and from what I understand it's part of the camera assembly. I can hear the rattling if I try to make it rattle, but that's it. Some people have had loose power or volume buttons, even a loose battery...but that's more than just a little rattle.

The glitch you're showing in the screen is well documented ( on the web )...From what I've found, Apple is looking into it...hopefully there will be a 6.0.1 release before long that addresses that and some other issues. The mechanism that displays those alerts was rewritten with 6.0, so there's probably just some bug that will get squashed :)

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
The "rattling" is "normal". It shouldn't be much, and from what I understand it's part of the camera assembly. I can hear the rattling if I try to make it rattle, but that's it. Some people have had loose power or volume buttons, even a loose battery...but that's more than just a little rattle.

The glitch you're showing in the screen is well documented ( on the web )...From what I've found, Apple is looking into it...hopefully there will be a 6.0.1 release before long that addresses that and some other issues. The mechanism that displays those alerts was rewritten with 6.0, so there's probably just some bug that will get squashed :)

Well I've known about the camera lens rattle I've had it in my 4 and 4S, but this is different. I can literally tap any part of my phone and I'll hear a rattle, even if I mask my camera with my fingers which usually dulls out the sounds a little bit, but it doesn't on mine. I tried to show them this at the Apple store but he was adamant that it was just the camera. He took it apart and secured the screws or so he said, but mine still rattles worse than my roommates or any other iPhone 5 I've gotten to test this out on.

I figured this was a glitch with iOS. I googled it after I posted the video, which should have been the other way around, but I was hoping that someone may have exchanged this or had Apple tell them it was a software glitch.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I don't have that rattle that I know of but I sure do have that App Store glitch at times. Hard to replicate, just happens randomly. Haven't decided whether it's a screen issue or OS issue myself. Next time I'm near an Apple store I'm gonna mention it.

xxDruMMer BoYxx

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Well...I've never had that issue with the App Store...I've had it on the top area when I open a folder to go to the Apple Store app. I switched the iphone 5 at the store. All I did us showed them a video on YouTube of someone else's phone doing it. I had no screenshot or anything. It was a rare case that he switched it off, he said, but that they normally need proof. It's a hit or miss if you need to exchange it. I'd like to end the comment by saying I haven't experience the issue again...but I have. :( I'm too lazy to go back an exchange it because I don't want to find out another iphone has it too...also, because I'm certain that its a software thing. Waiting for the next update.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I may just wait for iOS 6.0.1 or 6.1 whatever comes out first and see what happens. Depending on how long the waiting time is on that.

It really seems like it would be a software glitch, but it's only happening on the 5 as far as I'm aware.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen