This Is What Apple Is Doing About The Complaints On The New Mapping App

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
THis Is What Apple Is Doing About The Complaints On THe New Mapping App

I have used it a couple times now and it has been spot on so I don't have complaints but I think apples proactive approach is what makes apple better than others .. They are investing in there own app and admitting it has issues and trying to speed up the process to fix it for the customer .. 40 hours a week per store and I doubt any apple emp makes min wage .. So that could be 30 grand a year per store min
Sounds like they take customer feedback serious good for them

FRoStYisGoD

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: THis Is What Apple Is Doing About The Complaints On THe New Mapping App

I personally haven't had any problems with the new maps, maybe 1 or 2 things here and there it doesn't pick up, but nothing that would make me hate it or stop useing apple maps at all. I've had a few problems with google maps to so it evens it out I guess, side nothing is ever perfect.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry. You all have good points. For some people it's an issue, others, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter to me. But at least it's acknowledged.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

It's not our job to fix their problem. Neither is it the employees that work at the retail stores, those poor souls. If you're going to defend Apple, at least stick to the topic at hand and please, please avoid making it about ME. Am I the only one that's looking at Apple Maps? LOOK AT IT. It doesn't even deserve half the press it's getting it's so abysmal, why does anyone care about it anymore? It's going to take years to fix. YEARS.

My friend you have a very diluted attitude and way of thinking about Apple and What Tim Cook the CEO has already acknowledged that they are doing to fix the Native Map App on IOS 6 first of all. Secondly there is a reason what Apple put a Report Problem link within the app as well as everything else they are doing.

Nobody is making anything about YOU I assure you. I believe that if you read the majority of the posts and not just the ones you want ans think people are picking on you, You might form a different opinion on what is going on here and I see no idication of going off topic except to answer this post. Try being a part of the Solution and not add to being a part of the Problem. Thank you for your post.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

People that are avoiding iOS 6 because of the mapping system are being ridiculous...what are you sticking too? The native map system on iOS 5? lmfao...

I would have to agree, Sean. iOS 6 is a worthy update, in my opinion, and to avoid it altogether because of the mapping system is pitiful. If people were to comb the forums, they would find numerous posts about people using MapQuest, TomTom, Garmin, Waze and other 3rd party apps to help them get from point A to point B so it doesn't make sense to avoid or discard iOS 6 because Apple's own mapping system does not compare at this time. Heck, I still have Waze installed just in case and I will keep it installed until I feel that Apple's mapping system is as great or greater than its competitors, but hey, that's Just Me, D...;)

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I would have to agree, Sean. iOS 6 is a worthy update, in my opinion, and to avoid it altogether because of the mapping system is pitiful. If people were to comb the forums, they would find numerous post about people using MapQuest, TomTom, Garmin, Waze and other 3rd party apps to help them get from point A to point B so it doesn't make sense to avoid or discard iOS 6 because Apple's own mapping system does not compare at this time. Heck, I still have Waze installed, just in case and I will keep it installed until I feel that Apple's mapping system is as great or greater than its competitors, but hey, that's Just Me, D...;)

Once again agreed... I use Mapquest right now with voice guided turn by turn and will continue to until Apple gets their Map App together although it is not as bad as people make it to be and if you read the links I have posted on the stance Apple is going through with it's employees in the stores and everything else they are doing, It will be handled in short order which means most likely another software update very soon. Everyone hang in there.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site

It will be handled in short order which means most likely another software update very soon.

They don't need to update the software. The app works fine. It's the data that's being fed to the app that's the problem. They have to fix the data stored in their servers that's pushed to the device every time the app is used.

As an aside, I use Apple maps daily and I've noticed a marked reduction in data usage when using maps. I looked around the web and found that most are saying that the new maps uses about 80% less data than the old version. Another reason Apple switched to their own solution was because Google was reserving vector graphics for Android only, and using raster graphics for iOS. The benefits of using vector graphics are many. First, it uses less data, 2nd, it's resolution independent, so scaling back and forth is faster and smoother, 3rd, it allows more data to be downloaded to use when offline. It seems Apple maps can store street level data for much larger areas than the former maps could.

Lightingguy55

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

They don't need to update the software. The app works fine. It's the data that's being fed to the app that's the problem. They have to fix the data stored in their servers that's pushed to the device every time the app is used.

Well,, not it's not quiet that simple. All the app is, is a shortcut to the cloud based map server. None of the actual maps are resident on the device, which requires either a WiFi or cellular connection to download and display the maps.

There are really 2 parts to the mapping system. 1) A graphic display (the Map) linked to GPS coordinates. All this does is find where you are and shows it on a display. That graphical display data comes from the server, or can be downloaded as a map set. Google lets you cache a set of maps for use in the event that cell or WiFi data is non-existent. Stand-alone GPS devices have the graphical map set resident on the device, so no cell connection required.

Then there's 2) The data the map links to, based on the GPS coordinates and/or current view of the graphical map. That data can be something as simple as a street address, or be considerably more complicated and can be a huge volume of data based on the search criteria. This has always been where Google has shined, having started as a web search engine, thus their data base is vast.

The stand-alone GPS devices have been struggling with the competition from real-time data searches linked to a GPS device (Google, Apple, Mapquest, Bing, etc..) , as they have no way to push updates of the data to the users. Thus they do updates via computer link and downloads to the devices. TomTom is much the same as Magellan and Garmin in that they use a separate company to generate the map and search databases, that then get sent to the users and subscribers. There are folks in the field constantly checking and resolving reported errors, as well as simply tracking changes in the landscape - new housing developments, road additions, etc.. This all gets added to the data base.

What has me puzzled is that Apple seemingly used the TomTom map data base, as well as Yelp for search engine data, plus other companies ?. So my puzzlement has been, if the Apple map data base is full of holes, why isn't TomTom's data base also full of problems ?. As example, one of the "easy" map data queries is address. This is a very basic search and one would think that at the very basic level for a computer map, the addresses would be correct. They are not and that's a big issue. Forget finding a Starbucks. If the map thinks my address is 4 towns over then there's a basic and fundamental problem that makes me think that there's a lot more going on with the Apple map "system" that is not going to be an easy fix.

Thus I think it's going to be a long wait.

Last edited:

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
THis Is What Apple Is Doing About The Complaints On THe New Mapping App

I've used it to go to Miami, Fortlauderdale and Tampa ( from Naples ), spot on all the time..

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Google really gave them no choice, as they refused to support turn by turn on iOS. Apple had to go on their own and its going to take a little time for them to fully recover.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely right! Apple Maps has no local transit recommendations. Altogether, a very inadequate start by apple company.
It is not Apple's place to provide public transit mapping baked into the iOS or in the Maps app. It is the responsibility of each public transit service to serve their customers with apps that can be integrated into the Maps app... like is happening. Just go to the AppStore and see the plethora of 3rd party apps that are now available for various public transit systems.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Well, I've been using Apple maps all around Guangdong China and it's great, much better than the previous Google powered maps. I get stuck in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, with a cabbie who has no idea where to go, and I make it back every time. There are very few missing streets and I can find just about anything, whereas previously, POI was terrible. I'm also on a limited data plan, 650MB/month and I haven't gone over yet like I did last month on the 19th, even though I've been using it a lot more. I suspect, once I return to the US, it won't be as good except the turn-by-turn thing.

---------- Post Merged at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Well, I've been using Apple maps all around Guangdong China and it's great, much better than the previous Google powered maps. I get stuck in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, with a cabbie who has no idea where to go, and I make it back every time. There are very few missing streets and I can find just about anything, whereas previously, POI was terrible. I'm also on a limited data plan, 650MB/month and I haven't gone over yet like I did last month on the 19th, even though I've been using it a lot more. I suspect, once I return to the US, it won't be as good except the turn-by-turn thing.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73