Need app for Excel, Word and PDFs

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to theiPad3 and am needing an app that I can use to open, edit and save Office docs that are sent in emails as attachments. I also need to be able to print them out. Which apps are best for this?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You might have better luck searching the App store. But a quick search here in the forums suggests a few apps including Docs 2 Go.

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Alli i will do that. I know I can go to Google (kch50428 reply) and do a search but I prefer asking here for more personal hands on reviews of apps.

manutd7

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I use Quick Office HD for Excel, Word, and Power point docs. For PDF, you should be able to open this fine on the iPad. To highlight and write notes on PDFs I use Notability. I am not sure about editing PDFs with any of these.
For printing, this all depends on your printer and set-up. I use Printer Pro and/or Epson's own app for printing to my home, wi-fi enabled printer.

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion about Quick Office HD and Notability. I will definitely do some research on them. My printer is old, so I've decided to get a printer with AirPrint capabilities so printing shouldn't be an issue.

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Karen....I do need to edit and print the docs. I did look at Quick Office and Docs2Go but am seeing that there are some issues with iOS6, Google Docs/Drive and printing.........I think I will wait for some of those bugs to get fixed before buying one of the apps. Thanks again for your suggestions. Very much appreciated.........

zunex

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Quick Office. It's kinda expensive, but believe me you'll never regret buying it.

Edit: Oops I forgot, I also use PDF Max for reading ebooks, it's free & of good quality app thogh.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to theiPad3 and am needing an app that I can use to open, edit and save Office docs that are sent in emails as attachments. I also need to be able to print them out. Which apps are best for this?

The two biggest (ie, most known) are Documents To Go and QuickOffice. I have both. Documents To go makes desktop syncing a snap with its desktop sync client, and I have never lost a file with it. It does support reading and writing files to some cloud storage sites such as Google Docs/Drive, Dropbox, etc. This is a rudimentary function, and does not really (or at least readily) support the actual transfer of files between cloud and device. However, I am having major problems with some Excel files in D2G, it does not support some data functions that call data from other sheets in the workbook. QuickOffice does not have that problem.

However, QuickOffice does not sync with anything. Rather, it depends on cloud services such as Google Docs/Drive, Dropbox, etc. And this is fully integrated, you can copy/move files between cloud and device, and even between cloud services if you configure more than one. QuickOffice has no problems with those same Excel files, and it has, imo, a better editing UI. However, and to me this is a fatal flaw, it has corrupted several of my document and spreadsheet files so badly, I had to recover from backups and rebuild the new data. Once is a fluke, twice is an accident, three times is a program flaw.

I now use Apple's Numbers for my Excel files on the iPad and just deal with the fact that it can only save out to xls and not xlsx and I am considering doing the same thing for Word documents with Apple's Pages.

Rumor has it, though I haven't heard anything in the past couple of months, that Microsoft is working on an iOS version of their mobile Office suite. It's in their interest to do so.

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Your comments and reviews of these apps (as well others who have commented) have helped greatly. At this point I've not decided on which app to get because all seem to have issues that I'm just not ready to deal with. Hopefully updates will be coming out soon that improve all to the point that they are worth considering. Thanks again.

subuipad

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Dear Original poster

Hi

I see this thread is a little old

Have you taken a decision on which office app to buy ?

I am looking for free apps

I do NOT need editing. However I need offline reading for PDF , XL , doc and ppt

Thanks

Subu

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2