iOS 6.1: What you'd like to see.

mglivesey

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
The ability to adjust the screen brightness in multitasking (replace the volume slider, we've already got the side buttons for that).

The option to hide the stock apps that you don't use, ie; Stocks, Newsstand, Passbooks etc.

Also, it'd be nice to add contacts to groups & edit contact groups in the Contacts App, rather than having to log into iCloud.com every time you add a new contact.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
About Maps which most users have posted - Apple does not need to push us an update. They can remotely fix a lot of issues so asking for a better map app does not make sense. I would rephrase it that Apple works much harder to fix the issue before the next OS update.

eatmorespam

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Here are some minor things that I'd love to see in an upcoming iOS. I won't mention the big things, like a less buggy App Store, widgets, etc., just some small things that would fill in the cracks. Most of my suggestions pertain to iPad, since that's the iOS device I use the most.

- More flexibility and wider scope of text size adjustment -
Especially for my mother, who has a hard time reading the tiny icon labels. The text size adjustment in the accessibility options is rather limited in scope, affecting only a few parts of the built-in apps. Magnification is available, I know, but its not the easiest to use. This is more of an issue on non-retina iPad, because the lower resolution makes the text that much harder to read.

- Improved split keyboard for iPad -
In particular, it would be great if it were possible to dock a split keyboard. This would especially useful in landscape mode. It never made sense to me why one would want a split keyboard in landscape mode floating vertically in the middle of the screen, effectively blocking most of the display.

- Better support for Apple wireless keyboard -
Specifically, it would be awesome to be able to have the external keyboard access the Home button, task bar, and other iPad specific functions. I know this is possible via external keyboards, because it can be done with Logitech's and Zagg's keyboards. Also, it would be great to have a way to enable keyboard shortcuts to do bold, italic, etc., in apps like Pages.

- Better sorting index for multiple languages -
Most people probably never encounter this issue, but anyone who has things like contacts in more than one language will know what I'm talking about. Basically, say, if your primary language is English, when scrolling through a list, you'll see A B C etc., on the right side, followed by the # sign under which all of the entries in the non-English language are categorized. Annoying if you have a lot of entries in that section!

- Stay in Safari when making a home screen bookmark -
It's awesome that the new App Store now doesn't kick you out to the home screen when you install a new App, but Safari still kicks you to the home screen when you create a new home screen bookmark. Safari should be like the App Store.

- Be able to change home screen bookmark icons -
Although many websites now set the icon that shows up when you make a home screen bookmark, many still do not, this means your home screen bookmark icons are generally quite enigmatic, as many web pages look very similar when shrunk down to the size of an icon. If you zoom in to, say, the site logo when creating the home screen bookmark, you'll get a better icon, but every time you load that bookmark, it will load zoomed in. Not very usable.

- Ability to add ratings to music from apps other than stock Music app -
Maybe it's possible to do this? But none of the four or five music apps I've used have any option to rate the music in your library. Some have the ability to show any existing rating, but none let you change the rating.

- Ability to put Newsstand in a folder!!! Or, just get rid of it -
I'm pretty sure this is impossible the way that Newsstand is built (it seems to be a built-in folder) but still it would be great if it could be done. Or just get rid if the Newsstand app / folder altogether and treat magazines the same as any other app.

Alright, that's my list so far. Probably a lot of stuff most of you never noticed (because you're not in situations to notice them!), and probably don't really care about. But definitely stuff that matters to me.

- jyc23

IoannisTs

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
What Apple should change on iOS
Which would not effect the
hole iOS experience and philosophy

-Lock screen
Options to reach commonly used apps from the lock screen
-Keyboard
Long press > Numbers and symbols
Upper keyboard line with ( !, ?,etc ) or input of ( photos, video )
Swipe
Change fonts
Suggestions for possible words
Long press of space button > continuous space until user stops
-Notification Center
Widgets to switch on or off basic settings ( toggle switch :Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, etc )
Access music (play/pause/etc) from notification center
Widgets from applications like notes or mail
Google search bar for faster web searches
When launching the notification center reveal from the top to bottom (not from bottom to top )
Pause app while launching the notification center only when fully launched
When notification shown, there should be something to click in order to show the os that you got the message ( not waiting for you to see the message you so two seconds ago ! )
-Bluetooth
Use mouse with Bluetooth ( why only keyboard )
To be able to send images/videos to other non-iPhone devices
-Phone
Better phone UI ( not the same IOS 1.0 line based UI from 2007 )
Customization all of groups such as favorites ,recents, contacts, etc
-Camera
The ability to lock photos you don't want others to look at
An entirely redesigned UI
The ability to shoot panoramas
The ability to change the image resolution
Make the shoot button on the iPhone the same as on the iPad
-Home Screen
Launch the multitasking bar by dragging up from the bottom.
Put apps where ever you want in the screen ( in a line or like a square )
The ability to lock apps you don't want others to look at.
Allow the app developers to make the applications live
* what I am trying to Say with live apps is that, for example the weather applications will indicate the weather in it's location or the clock app . And for 3rd party apps such as news apps like CNN or email as sparrow or clock or Eurosport or whatever
Touch and slide down an app to reveal notifications for that app
When searching the device there should be an ability to make mathematical calculations
-Safari
When you want to watch a video you should be able to watch it without taking fullscreen
Add Home page
All settings should be reachable from the app ( why should I have to go to settings to delete my history ? )
Search bar should be the same for URL and google ( as it is in chrome and safari in mountain lion )
Colour should change from blue to grey
Full screen for portrait mode too
Downloader in safari ( why are there 3rd party apps with downloaders and safari does not have it )
-Email
Rapidly redesigned UI
faster email download and sending
-Multitasking
When in landscape mode multitasking should orientate in landscape ( as it does on the iPad or if only rotating in portrait, it should rotate the apps not the multitasking bar )
-Siri
I should be given the opportunity to download all of this gigabytes of audio in order to have Siri off-line so that I have Siri wherever I want not only when connected to Wi-Fi or 3G
Siri should be faster
Siri should be able to search the web ( not launch Safari )
It should know more for people for example if you ask how tall Einstein or a Obama is, it should answer( not only for Lebron James )
Siri to be able to increase the volume
Siri to be able to turn toggles on/off ( - "Turn wifi on"
- "Ok" )
-Extras
I should have the choice to make sparrow my email client and chrome my internet client
Every app should have it's settings in it (not letting the user go to setting and change them and than go again back to the app)
Faster way to search the web from home screen
Faster on/off switch in applications
*When you are in Navigon and want to go to your friend who lives in the town near by and you don't know how to go there you launch the maps app and you find that your location settings are turned off . So your iPhone asks you wetherto go straight to settings or cancel .The problem is that I just don't want to go to settings to turn on my location settings this is what I want to do ! So apple should give me the option to turn on the location settings ( not go to settings so that i turn them on ) or cancel .
Reveal message and phone icon on the status bar when you have a missed message or call .
Mute button from the iPhone should be optional to mute/rotation lock ( as it is on the iPad )
Orientation lock should lock your orientation if it is landscape not only portrait mode .
Auto-update for apps
New sharing menu should be able to support apps ( like google+ )

isaac65

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Would love to see arrows in the keyboard so I can place the cursor exactly where I need it instead of being a bit I hit or miss.

Has my vote.

Hahaha, this is exactly why Apple doesn't ask their customers what they want. Really? Arrows?
To quote Henry Ford: "If I asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse".
Next you're going to ask for the iPad Smart Cover to include a keyboard. The whole point of a tablet is you don't use a hard keyboard! If you want a hard keyboard, don't buy an iPad, buy a damn laptop!

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Along with the new "VIP" mailbox how about an "unread" mailbox. Along with the option to attach a file while composing a message.

Agreed in the unread mail view.

But you can attach a file now while composing (well photo or video at least). Tap and hold. You'll see the select/select all/paste and an arrow. Click arrow and you'll get "insert photo or video" option.

Would be nice to be able to add other files of that's what you mean. A file manager app would be good.

One of my requests for 6.1... Background uploading of files to Dropbox.

lytefall

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Fix/improve the maps. In my city it shows a golf course that's been a parking lot and commercial development since 1999, and in another part of the city it shows that an entire subdivision is in the middle of the cities largest park when in actuality it's on the other side of the river from the park. Not a big deal for me because I know where I am going here but makes me wonder if its even worth using when I am somewhere unfamiliar and need it to actually find my way around.

Also fix whatever is causing the keyboard shortcuts not to work. I have tried every fix out there and they are still non functional

I have also been having issues with calls going directly to VM or dropping calls 30 sec into a conversation since the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chocky319

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
The ability to change the location of the notification bar like the dock in OS X
Would love to pull up from the bottom or slide from the side
No rhyme intended:)

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
1. Kill all app's switch ( when i swipe right on the fast app switcher)
2. An improved Maps app
3. maybe a redesigned calendar and contacts app
4. Sending big attachments in emails....

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Any guesses of when we'll see the first iOS 6 update?? Seems like it could use one. Wifi seems to disconnect all too often.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to be able to have the Notification center as the locked page. Just to hit the home button and see my notification page, without having to unlock and swipe down.

Not a big deal, but I think that would be nice to see all the informations quickly.

Agree. Would it kill Apple to rip off an old idea (goodness knows they've done it before) and just give us the ability to have a 'Today' page on the lock screen?

WinCE did it, Palm did it, RIM did it. Really, Apple? You can't 'improve' a really good idea?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Lots of great suggestions! My personal top 3 would be:

1. Allow the photos app to be non-dependent on iTunes. I would like to be able to create new albums, hide albums, sort pics, name them, delete them, move them, etc all from within the app unlike now where albums added via iTunes cannot be edited within the app, new albums created in the app are somewhat temporary, pics added to said albums remain in the camera roll as well, etc.

2. Quick Reply option for texts the way Bite SMS allows.

3. Quick toggles in the notifications drop down.

gbattaglia02

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think Maps will improve. I haven't had any issues with my use. I was even in morocco recently and they worked on wifi. Would like to see them improved with transit and street view. wifi needs to be debugged. like to see the notes app ability to scribble a note and add a picture. lastly weather. If the app is on the phone i don't want to download a seperate app for features that should be standard like weather alerts and dopler radar. Big need in Oklahoma.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox