Hey everyone,

As I am aware apps that you exit but leave in the background are normally frozen and don't update, but I'm curious does the Mail app and Facebook app update if left in the background (that multitasking bar)? I have my Mail setting 'Push' to off and 'Fetch' to manually and even within the 'Advanced' menu I have every individual email account set to manual and I still see new email notifications come through without having the app opened. The only way I won't get these notification is to make sure the Mail app is removed from the background. This seems to be true too with the Facebook app. If I am logged into Facebook but have exited to the homescreen I will still get notified of updates for as long as the app stays in the background.
    08-12-2012 10:10 PM
    I'm not sure why Mail would be checking email if fetch is set to manual. I was under the impression that, even if running in the background, email would not be checked unless you manually open the app. You sure it's not set to every 15 minutes or something?

Regarding Facebook, you should be getting notification whether or not the app is running in the background. Facebook notifications are push and the app does not have to be open or running in the background to receive them. This is true of al apps and push notifications.

...not that Facebook notifications are actually reliable, anyway.
    08-13-2012 12:37 AM
    I have my phone set to gray out apps in the switcher that are not active. Mail is one that doesn't sleep but remains active in the background.

However, since you have it set to fetch maybe you should have a look at the mail settings under notifications.

Sent from an iPhone4s with Tapatalk
    08-13-2012 12:50 AM
    The few apps that I know of that are always running are Phone, messages, mail. Everything else uses push notifications to give you updates.

If Mail is set to manual it will only check for new e-mails when the app is open (active window).
    08-13-2012 12:32 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions! @Leanna, I'm absolutely sure I have everything set to manual, I attached a screenshot of my settings in Mail. Regarding Facebook, I don't always get notifications pushed to my phone, it's very spotty. Sometime I'll need to open the app and sometimes it does get pushed. @Sherlock, your apps are greyed out in the switcher if their not active? Is that a tweak from Cydia? I always thought all apps in the switcher that are not opened are all inactive.
    Last edited by kfan12; 08-15-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    08-15-2012 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD