Review: TacTio Health by Tactio Software (universal binary)

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/target-weight-fat-step-bp/id477774973?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]TacTio Healt[/URL]h, by Tactio Software
$9.99 ****

Pros:

? Goes beyond a simple diet/weight tracking app
? Easy to view on the iPad (did not examine iPhone screen)

Cons:

? Not much value added

I am on a weight loss kick, and have downloaded a few weight loss programs. In addition to those, I decided to take a look at Tactio Health, which is described as an ?executive ehealth tracking system?. It is a universal binary, but I only looked at the iPad version.

At first when I downloaded it, I thought it was primarily a weight loss/tracking app. However, the app is also designed to allow you to track your general health, provide overall health tips, and allow you to estimate risks based on things like blood pressure, weight, and cholesterol. As with any health app, I include the caveat that any health concerns or changes should be discussed with a human doctor and this app will not replace a doctor.

With the app, when you start up, you begin by entering various health data ? birthday, weight, height, ethnicity. It even asks you things like how many vegetable servings you eat per day! You can then begin by computing your various indices and risk values ? body mass, risk of diabetes, risk of metabolic syndromes, risk of cardio vascular disease. Of course, these are all calculated by routine formulas, so you need to take them with a grain of salt.

There are also screens so that you can enter things like your blood pressure, cholesterol levels (both HDL and LDL), triglycerides, glucose levels, and pulse rate. This is a nice feature, because you can track these values over time, to find out if they are changing for the worse. You can also track activity level indicated by workouts or the number of steps you take each day). You can keep track of weight changes as well, and even set weight change goals. This is not a dieting app, however, and you don?t enter daily food amounts or anything like that. There are even ways to link of with electronic health monitors, including scales, blood pressure monitors, and activity monitors.

On any of the screens with actual health data, the information is all color coded ? green is good, yellow is slightly bad, and orange and red are a concern. On the main screen there is a dashboard with you overall values, so you can get a quick glance. While I can see the importance of tracking health data, especially in circumstances where you need to due to poor health or disease, for someone who isn?t in a risk group the value of this app seems limited. This app seems clearly aimed an health enthusiasts or people who need to track health concerns.

However, other than tracking data, that is all the app really does. There are hints that pop up about ways to improve various health aspects, but there didn?t seem to be much of value added from the app ? other than the ease of having your health data in one location.

All in all, for people that want to track a variety of health indicators or risk predictors (due to choice or necessity) this app can be a very useful tool.
You can input a wide range of health data (not just weight) and observe trends in your health patterns over time. For a casual health enthusiast, this is probably a good app to have, but for someone who is looking for a more specific app (such as for weight loss) this app will not be very helpful. It is a universal binary, so you can use it on the go with your iPhone as well. At $9.99, it isn?t cheap, but it can be an important tool for people who need it. Four out of five stars.

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. Please comment on these reviews. All opinions expressed in this review are precisely that ? opinions. You may agree or disagree. If you own the app, tell me what your opinion is. If the review prompted you to buy (or not buy) the app, let me know why. If you want more information about the app, go ahead and ask.

*To all who are awaiting reviews ? I apologize about the lack of reviews recently, but I hope to post a steady stream of app reviews of the next few weeks. If you have contact me regarding an app review, I will try to get back to you as soon as possible. Please note that contacting me (even sending a promo code) does not guarantee a review. If you have not heard from me within the next week or so, please send me another PM*