iPhone 4S is the best smartphone you can buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Sure, that Samsung S3 looks bigger and thinner. Has some better internals. (it better, it takes better to run android). But it runs an old android version. It boasts over 50 preinstalled bloatware apps & a skin that aren't exactly from Google. You deal with carriers. You need insurance. Apple's stuff is pretty much off limits (facetime, imessage, etc). Backup/restore isn't as seamless. You may get another update..someday, you may not. Resale isn't as great. Support stinks.

I'm sure for some, an android is a better choice. Just like public schools might be better choices for some.

1) It runs Android 4.0.4 out of the box, the newest version of Android available on a phone....so you're wrong there.

2) On my Verizon S3, I've got MAYBE 10 bloatware apps at the most...all of which can be disabled without rooting, so again, you're wrong.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
And many people have also replied that some Android super phones surpass iPhone in many ways. I would appreciate if you guys can elaborate.

For me,

The bigger screen of my S3 makes it WAY easier on my eyes when watching videos or reading text....as does the text reflow in Boat Browser, that re-wraps the text to fit the screen no matter how far you zoom in. (iPhone has never done this, and NO the reader option is nowhere near as nice)

LTE is a no brainer...sure the next iPhone will have it, but for this argument that doesn't really matter. If i can get 60-70mbps, have a huge HD screen, AND have a battery that easily lasts 12-18 hours with (in my definition) moderate-heavy usage, then I'm a happy camper.

Those are the main reasons I chose to leave my iPhone behind, things that "surpass the iPhone" as you say. Other things that are, in my experience, on par with the 4S are the camera, voice quality, quality of apps (that I use), and overall user experience/reliablity. So, again, FOR ME, there is absolutely no reason to still be using an iPhone.

Also, I'm increasingly getting fed up with Apple's "if you can't beat em, sue em" philosophy...quit suing every other phone manufacturer because they sell also sell a phone that is rectangular, has a bezel, and has a touchscreen and spend that effort on coming up with something NEW an innovative instead of making the SAME phone but slightly taller to accommodate a marginally larger screen. By that philosophy, I guess my Samsung TV was a rip-off of a Sony TV that was made first...stupid.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
For me,

The bigger screen of my S3 makes it WAY easier on my eyes when watching videos or reading text....as does the text reflow in Boat Browser, that re-wraps the text to fit the screen no matter how far you zoom in. (iPhone has never done this, and NO the reader option is nowhere near as nice)

LTE is a no brainer...sure the next iPhone will have it, but for this argument that doesn't really matter. If i can get 60-70mbps, have a huge HD screen, AND have a battery that easily lasts 12-18 hours with (in my definition) moderate-heavy usage, then I'm a happy camper.

Those are the main reasons I chose to leave my iPhone behind, things that "surpass the iPhone" as you say. Other things that are, in my experience, on par with the 4S are the camera, voice quality, quality of apps (that I use), and overall user experience/reliablity. So, again, FOR ME, there is absolutely no reason to still be using an iPhone.

Also, I'm increasingly getting fed up with Apple's "if you can't beat em, sue em" philosophy...quit suing every other phone manufacturer because they sell also sell a phone that is rectangular, has a bezel, and has a touchscreen and spend that effort on coming up with something NEW an innovative instead of making the SAME phone but slightly taller to accommodate a marginally larger screen. By that philosophy, I guess my Samsung TV was a rip-off of a Sony TV that was made first...stupid.

Since you wanted to point out what cardfan was "wrong" about...let's start with this post...

- The camera. It's not in the same league...it's not a terrible camera like you would find on pretty much every other android device, but the GS3's camera is just not as good as the 4S's...it's on par with the iPhone 4's at best.

- Reliability...are you joking? The reliability of this phone is based on the reliability of the firmware it's running, and there hasn't been an android firmware out long enough in a reliable state to consider any of the phones reliable.

- 12-18 hours of battery usage under moderate load...sorry, it just isn't true.

...and to speak on your issue with Apple suing everyone, in case you've forgotten, Samsung threw the first punch years ago, filing motions against Apple which can be traced back to exact days...Apple in turn threw their legal team at the issue and told them to go to town. In the end, it's the story of grabbing a bull by the horns, you better be prepared for what happens next. Having this attitude of negativity towards Apple because of this is foolish and misdirected...what would you do if payed your buddy to build car hoods for a new car you just designed and put on the market, then your buddy threatens you with legal issues after taking that same hood he builds for you and applies it to his own car that competes directly with you? If you say you wouldn't take legal actions, you're full of sh*t.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Since you wanted to point out what cardfan was "wrong" about...let's start with this post...

- The camera. It's not in the same league...it's not a terrible camera like you would find on pretty much every other android device, but the GS3's camera is just not as good as the 4S's...it's on par with the iPhone 4's at best.

I use my phone primarily to take pictures of my son, and the photos that I have taken with both phones are comparable...FACT. I have actually had both phones and have the pics to prove that the camera on this phone is on par with my old iPhone 4S. I would post them but I am not gonna post pictures of my son on here.

- Reliability...are you joking? The reliability of this phone is based on the reliability of the firmware it's running, and there hasn't been an android firmware out long enough in a reliable state to consider any of the phones reliable.

Reliable as in: I have had zero apps that have force closed..not one time has it rebooted on its own..haven't noticed any lag..stuff like that...basically the same as people saying "it just works" about an iPhone

- 12-18 hours of battery usage under moderate load...sorry, it just isn't true.

That's funny...between the two of us, who do you think would know about MY phone better? Here's a screenshot I had saved on the phone...
screenshot7-31-12.png

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I use my phone primarily to take pictures of my son, and the photos that I have taken with both phones are comparable...FACT. I have actually had both phones and have the pics to prove that the camera on this phone is on par with my old iPhone 4S. I would post them but I am not gonna post pictures of my son on here.

Reliable as in: I have had zero apps that have force closed..not one time has it rebooted on its own..haven't noticed any lag..stuff like that...basically the same as people saying "it just works" about an iPhone

That's funny...between the two of us, who do you think would know about MY phone better? Here's a screenshot I had saved on the phone...

The only FACT is that besides yours (and a handful of other peoples) opinion...everyone that has compared the 4S's camera to other cell phone cameras has had the same resulting opinion, it is the best camera on the market, period. Does your phone take a nice picture? Sure! But there's really no reason for you to continue arguing it, its an almost unanimous opinion that the 4S's camera is the best camera ever put on a cell phone (and comes with features that make it even better).

I have a VW GTI as a daily driver to take to work when i dont drive my patrol car, and it has never given me any problems (knock on wood)...that said, using common sense and the general knowledge that many people don't enjoy that same experience, i would never call it a reliable car, even if it has been reliable for me...same difference here.

And thanks for sharing a picture of your battery life expectancy...like i said before, the GS3 doesn't get 12-18 hours of battery life under moderate to heavy use (as you yourself put it). I can go on the android websites and samsung websites all day long and read the legitimate expectations vs. experiences...they are not in that range under the usage you reflected...maybe under light use, sure, but moderate to heavy use is going to yield you at best 10, at best. But hey, only owners of the phone itself could possibly know anything about them right? lol...

...also, Nick Saban eats babies.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
1) never once did I say it has a better camera... On par is the term I used

2) as I said "for me" it has been reliable

3) the screen shot is from a fairly light day... As shown, after 12 hours of "light usage" I still had 57%...so why is it so hard to believe that with moderate-heavy usage I could get 12-18 hours out of it?? If I can go 24hrs on light usage, it shouldn't be that hard to believe that I HAVE GOTTEN a full 12 hrs or more on a heavier day of use.

I will add that when I set up an android phone, I do not use widgets or any of the goofy little "features" that most people use. I am using apex launcher with two home screens... One is blank, and one has the icons for the apps I use the most (looks about like my iPhone did in that respect).... As you know, a lot of it has to do with HOW you set the phone up.

sent using my Galaxy S3

Last edited:

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
OMG my iPhone is the best phone ever and the S3 is just a toy! Your phones has to be charged, haha! My camera is better than yours!

On a serious note, it's not hard to believe that the S3 can in fact get 12+ hours of usage when used under medium-heavy usage given the screenshot by a person who OWNS the phone. The camera is very comparable to the 4S and the S3 has a bunch of features that I would love to have on my iPhone. I feel that given the samples posted the claims of battery life and camera quality are believable.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Reactions: roll-tide

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
OMG my iPhone is the best phone ever and the S3 is just a toy! Your phones has to be charged, haha! My camera is better than yours!

On a serious note, it's not hard to believe that the S3 can in fact get 12+ hours of usage when used under medium-heavy usage given the screenshot by a person who OWNS the phone. The camera is very comparable to the 4S and the S3 has a bunch of features that I would love to have on my iPhone. I feel that given the samples posted the claims of battery life and camera quality are believable.

I think the S3 is a fine phone...i never said it was a toy at all. The camera is better than the S3's though, sorry, it's just a fact.

Just to put this out there, notice after the battery debate for a second there, he had to explain how he was getting such performance...my approach was simply taking the S3 generally for what it is, and in that case, there's no way you're getting that kind of battery life out of it under moderate/heavy usage.

Alas, it's quite easy to ruffle some of your feathers...fun too. ;)

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the S3 is a fine phone...i never said it was a toy at all. The camera is better than the S3's though, sorry, it's just a fact.

Just to put this out there, notice after the battery debate for a second there, he had to explain how he was getting such performance...my approach was simply taking the S3 generally for what it is, and in that case, there's no way you're getting that kind of battery life out of it under moderate/heavy usage.

My feathers are not ruffled and while the camera in the 4S may be the "best" that was not the statement made. The S3's camera is comparable to the 4S camera. The battery is not hard to believe at all given that after almost 12 hours of light usage there is 57% battery left then I say that it is believable that you can get 12+ hours of usage with moderate to heavy usage

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
But it's not on par...it's lesser. The pic examples shown earlier were one source, i don't think i have to point out that there are literally thousands of other sources showing the better quality from the 4S camera. The S3's camera is better...MUCH better than before, but it's still 2nd at best.

I guess i'll never know if the battery life is truly capable of that, i can only go by what i read on the user forums of the device (which don't commonly reflect those numbers)...either way, even at 10 hours under moderate usage, it's still quite good.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Good grief dude...nobody is bashing your precious iPhone, so why are you so dead set on being a prick about this? So does this mean you use your iPhone just how it is setup out of the box? I didn't...I did the same thing with it as I do with my S3...lower brightness, limit what apps sync and how often, and limit the use of gps if I can...all are typical things people do to increase battery life. By your comment, I'm supposed to be using my phone just as it came out of the box...brightness turned up, crappy widgets, and all?

Bottom line is, you just (for some reason) can't fathom the thought of an Android phone with a big hd screen, dual core processor, and LTE getting decent battery life. Compared to my iPhone, my experience with battery life on the S3 is pretty close...so that must REALLY piss you off huh? Example, right now after being off the charger since 6:00am (about 10 hours), I am at 37%...and I've been bickering with you all day, emailing my wife, checking Twitter, on the phone, etc...a fairly heavy day for me. You got facts? Fine, hit me with em...but don't try and tell ME what I'm NOT getting out of MY phone. You want me to setup some widgets or some other crap and do a little test for ya?? I will, even though I think widgets are useless..at least for me.

And before you go there, my feathers ain't ruffled...yet. All I have done is try and show you what I know to be possible, and all you've done is stubbornly say there's absolutely NO way it can happen.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Battery life on a S3 is comparable to an iPhone 4S. It's not bad at all, but under heavy usage you're gonna have to recharge both devices sometime during the day. If you just make phone calls, the S3 will last a lot longer because it has a significantly larger battery, bigger by almost 50% I if I recall correctly. I think if you reduce screen brightness and turn off a bunch of widgets, the S3 battery life should exceed the iPhone 4S.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Good grief dude...nobody is bashing your precious iPhone, so why are you so dead set on being a prick about this? So does this mean you use your iPhone just how it is setup out of the box? I didn't...I did the same thing with it as I do with my S3...lower brightness, limit what apps sync and how often, and limit the use of gps if I can...all are typical things people do to increase battery life. By your comment, I'm supposed to be using my phone just as it came out of the box...brightness turned up, crappy widgets, and all?

Bottom line is, you just (for some reason) can't fathom the thought of an Android phone with a big hd screen, dual core processor, and LTE getting decent battery life. Compared to my iPhone, my experience with battery life on the S3 is pretty close...so that must REALLY piss you off huh? Example, right now after being off the charger since 6:00am (about 10 hours), I am at 37%...and I've been bickering with you all day, emailing my wife, checking Twitter, on the phone, etc...a fairly heavy day for me. You got facts? Fine, hit me with em...but don't try and tell ME what I'm NOT getting out of MY phone. You want me to setup some widgets or some other crap and do a little test for ya?? I will, even though I think widgets are useless..at least for me.

And before you go there, my feathers ain't ruffled...yet. All I have done is try and show you what I know to be possible, and all you've done is stubbornly say there's absolutely NO way it can happen.

Why do you keep thinking im mad at your phone? haha...i think you have a great phone! I just think it's funny when people (you) correct others (earlier with cardfan) with things that are either A.) Untrue (camera), or B.) Unorthodox (your personal battery life compared to that of what i've researched online with the GS3)...it's ok man! If you love your little android phone so much, who cares!?

And what's with the "yet", is that some kind of premonition i should be afraid of? lol! Give me a break bud, you're in a thread that discusses the merits and the great phone that is the iPhone 4S...in reflection of that, who cares what your "precious phone" can do?

I thoroughly enjoy getting you android fans riled up, especially since you feel (for some reason) that arguing how awesome your phones on an iPhone forum is some how relevant or interesting.

Thanks for playing though!

969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Why do you keep thinking im mad at your phone? haha...i think you have a great phone! I just think it's funny when people (you) correct others (earlier with cardfan) with things that are either A.) Untrue (camera), or B.) Unorthodox (your personal battery life compared to that of what i've researched online with the GS3)...it's ok man! If you love your little android phone so much, who cares!?

And what's with the "yet", is that some kind of premonition i should be afraid of? lol! Give me a break bud, you're in a thread that discusses the merits and the great phone that is the iPhone 4S...in reflection of that, who cares what your "precious phone" can do?

I thoroughly enjoy getting you android fans riled up, especially since you feel (for some reason) that arguing how awesome your phones on an iPhone forum is some how relevant or interesting.

Thanks for playing though!

Click to view quoted image

Nice try, but you ain't gonna turn this around on me...lol.

1) me correcting cardfan had nothing to with the camera...YOU started that one, not me. I corrected him on the version of the OS and amount of bloatware apps.
2) what you've researched online simply can't be compared to what my actual usage has been...and I'm proved that more than once
3) the "yet" is a premonition, you guessed it...because you are obviously the type who doesn't like to be proven wrong and I can definitely foresee you not letting this go
4) the only reason I'm arguing my point is well, see number 3...that about covers it

again, i'm not riled up...you brought up the argument about the camera being better on the 4S, again I never said it wasn't. You brought up the argument about the battery life sucking on the S3, again I have proved that just because you "researched online" about it, that you CAN get good life out of the S3...13hrs, I'm at 17%

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Nice try, but you ain't gonna turn this around on me...lol.

1) me correcting cardfan had nothing to with the camera...YOU started that one, not me. I corrected him on the version of the OS and amount of bloatware apps.
2) what you've researched online simply can't be compared to what my actual usage has been...and I'm proved that more than once
3) the "yet" is a premonition, you guessed it...because you are obviously the type who doesn't like to be proven wrong and I can definitely foresee you not letting this go
4) the only reason I'm arguing my point is well, see number 3...that about covers it

again, i'm not riled up...you brought up the argument about the camera being better on the 4S, again I never said it wasn't. You brought up the argument about the battery life sucking on the S3, again I have proved that just because you "researched online" about it, that you CAN get good life out of the S3...13hrs, I'm at 17%

I never said the battery life "sucked", i actually said it was quite good if you go back and read!

And i haven't been proven wrong here bud! You did tell cardfan the camera was on par (which it isn't), and i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree with your earlier stated numbers since you're talking your specific phone and im talking about multiple people who have reported on their phones battery life...it can be compared because its the same phone! But in the same light, a lot of people say they get terrible battery life on the 4S, and many (like me) never experienced that, so it can be hit or miss i suppose.

Don't be mad, be happy, you have a phone you love enough to come on an iPhone forum and defend it to death! Congratulations! (i dont know what for, but take it anyways there champ!) I'll let it go now, feel free to tell me how im being a fanboy on an iPhone forum about the iPhone if you like. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro