Why nobody likes Newstand

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
But that's the point. Sure some are annoyed that it can't be put into a folder (I've read that it can't because it IS a folder, and Apple currently doesn't allow folders within folders, but that's a whole other discussion)...

But beyond that annoyance, I truly doubt that the majority of iOS users even care. They can ignore it, move it to the last page, or whatever.

I'd be interested in seeing actual numbers - doubtful that "thousands" actually jailbreak JUST to hide the Newsstand (and yes, there are TWO 's's in the word)... Of course, we all acknowledge that 83.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot to support the person's perspective.

Gizmodo, Engadget, CNET all had an articles on it. How to put newsstand in a folder News, Videos, Reviews and Gossip - Gizmodo
How to hide the Newsstand icon on iOS 5 | How To - CNET

Even good ole iMore had a article on it. How to put iOS 5 Newsstand into a Folder [Temporary] | iMore.com

Everyone wants it hidden.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

There you go again... "Everyone"? Really?

First of all, nowhere near "everyone" reads/visits iMore, Gizmodo, CNET or Engadget. Sure the techies do... but the vast majority of iOS device users have never visited a blog or forum dealing with iOS.

The media whips these issue up and stirs up whatever peccadillo they can to "create" the issue in many cases. With the hundreds of millions of devices in circulation, do you honestly think "everyone" (or even a majority) of them care? I seriously doubt the mainstream iOS users are even aware. Just because it's on the phone, it doesn't mean you have to look at it, use it or even be aware of it.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
There you go again... "Everyone"? Really?

First of all, nowhere near "everyone" reads/visits iMore, Gizmodo, CNET or Engadget. Sure the techies do... but the vast majority of iOS device users have never visited a blog or forum dealing with iOS.

The media whips these issue up and stirs up whatever peccadillo they can to "create" the issue in many cases. With the hundreds of millions of devices in circulation, do you honestly think "everyone" (or even a majority) of them care? I seriously doubt the mainstream iOS users are even aware. Just because it's on the phone, it doesn't mean you have to look at it, use it or even be aware of it.

I would agree with you on the majority of iOS users not knowing what it is or caring. But I don't agree that the issue was created by the media. The first thing I tried to do when iOS came out with Newstand is get rid of it. It was just helpful that everyone knew a fix for it.

(How did they even find that folder fix? I really want to know the roots of where that came from.)

Before I bought an iPhone, I never knew that compass existed, some apps you really don't notice. But Newstand is just, I don't know if it's the color of the icon, but it just annoys me for some odd reason.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I would agree with you on the majority of iOS users not knowing what it is or caring. But I don't agree that the issue was created by the media. The first thing I tried to do when iOS came out with Newstand is get rid of it. It was just helpful that everyone knew a fix for it.

(How did they even find that folder fix? I really want to know the roots of where that came from.)

Before I bought an iPhone, I never knew that compass existed, some apps you really don't notice. But Newstand is just, I don't know if it's the color of the icon, but it just annoys me for some odd reason.

The blogs and media take what some few people complain about and drive the issue. They've done it before and they did it here. You agreed that the vast majority of the iOS device owners weren't eve aware of it... a few annoyed techies raised the issue and the media ran with it. The "hide it" thing became an issue when the standard "just stick it in a folder" approach didn't work... and the blogs ran with it.

So newsstand and Siri annoy you but Compass, GameCenter, Stocks and Voice Memos get a pass?

Got it.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The forum is not my home, there is no duty to stay or leave or keep to any word that was allegedly previously stated, but in the future-

If you'd like to discuss the topic, I will discuss with you. If you spam up the topic I will report you.

spam.jpg

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The blogs and media take what some few people complain about and drive the issue. They've done it before and they did it here. You agreed that the vast majority of the iOS device owners weren't eve aware of it... a few annoyed techies raised the issue and the media ran with it. The "hide it" thing became an issue when the standard "just stick it in a folder" approach didn't work... and the blogs ran with it.

So newsstand and Siri annoy you but Compass, GameCenter, Stocks and Voice Memos get a pass?

Got it.

No, I don't think the media made it an issue. All you have to do is look at the comments from said article, most of them are 'thank you's and sighs of relief. Just like the battery and antenna problem, which they do surveys on those to gauge who it's affecting.

Some iOS users don't know about Newstand, some don't know how to turn down the brightness. I would say leave them out of the equation because they won't care either way.

Compass, Voice Memos, Gane Center and Stocks have established use cases. And I use them often. A lot of people do.

But people are still (from other forums) complaining about Newstand to this day. So it isn't the media.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Compass, Voice Memos, Gane Center and Stocks have established use cases. And I use them often. A lot of people do.
I actually don't use ANY of these at all, but I just accept the fact that they are in the iOS because it is productive for the people that do use them. I have put them in a folder neatly so they do not congest the particular way I like page 2 set up on my 4S.

But people are still (from other forums) complaining about Newstand to this day. So it isn't the media.

I would tend to say its a combo of people complaining AND the media blowing this up as well. Remember the game 'telephone' - by time the news got to the final person it was so blown outta proportion.

I'm surprised this thread is still open and going. Instead of dragging the subject out, why don't you guys just agree that this is a subject you disagree on and just move on;):)

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Got it.

? Siri is something you definitely have to see in person just how bad it is. And I had always wondered just how a product with such horrific user experience could ever get released. Especially for a company that reportedly prides itself on things that "just work".

? Newstand is just annoying because it won't go away.

? Compass, Voice Controls and Stocks, if I use it at least once a year, it's not that bad. Newstand I will never use no matter what.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
you know what else won't go away? this thread. are the mods on vacation?

i've seen less aggressive threads get closed. then again you'd just start with something else lol

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
I find Siri useful. Siri understands my speech fine, so I frequently use it to dictate emails and texts. I also use it to make calls when I don't feel like scrolling through my list of about 900 contacts. It's faster than unlocking the phone, opening the phone app, tapping "Contacts," then the first letter, then the name, then the number I want to call. Also, Siri gets better the more you use it. There's a training period and after a certain amount of time, it's highly accurate.

Newstand however..... no reason it should be on the iPhone. It should be iPad exclusively. But I'm guessing that if it was an iPad exclusive, a large number of people would complain that they can't access their subscriptions from their iPhone. What they should have done was make it like iBooks, a voluntary download, that way, if you don't like it, you can delete it. Instead they made it a PITA by making it permanently take up space on the springboard. I'm not OCD, but to be honest, the Newstand just sitting there bothers me a little bit.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
? Siri is something you definitely have to see in person just how bad it is. And I had always wondered just how a product with such horrific user experience could ever get released. Especially for a company that reportedly prides itself on things that "just work".

? Newstand is just annoying because it won't go away.

? Compass, Voice Controls and Stocks, if I use it at least once a year, it's not that bad. Newstand I will never use no matter what.

Siri has been good for me. I haven't had any issues and I really enjoy using the feature.

I can understand you may not particularly like these features/apps, but why does it bother you so much that they exist on the iPhone? Why do you assume that no one else likes them?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Newstand however..... no reason it should be on the iPhone. It should be iPad exclusively. But I'm guessing that if it was an iPad exclusive, a large number of people would complain that they can't access their subscriptions from their iPhone. What they should have done was make it like iBooks, a voluntary download, that way, if you don't like it, you can delete it. Instead they made it a PITA by making it permanently take up space on the springboard. I'm not OCD, but to be honest, the Newstand just sitting there bothers me a little bit.

This is what several people have said. I also agree, iBooks is way more useful and used than Newstand, so why instead of iBooks, is Newstand, with it's poor and meager selection of Newspapers, on the home screen with no where to go?

It's like they're really pushing the feature and they want it to be successful, but it's not working. And the crazy thing is that Apple can afford to push it for many years without ever noticing that no one uses it. I don't think Newstand brings in much $$$.

cctpitts01

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I personally don't like the Newsstand app but i like the stock app even though I don't have any investments in anything it still fascinates me to see how businesses are doing whether it be Facebook, Apple, Google, or Samsung. Siri is still touch and go for me, I'm waiting for the improvements of iOS6 to see whether it's something I use more in the future, based off the beta and feedback I'm getting it looks like Siri will be able to do EXACTLY! what I wanted her to do from the beginning or should have been doing from the beginning. I would not say there is a lot of Bloatware per say but there does seem to be a lot of things Apple has been adding that a lot of people don't like or see any use for.

Sent from my iBeast of an iPhone using Tapatalk :)

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't like the Newsstand app but i like the stock app even though I don't have any investments in anything it still fascinates me to see how businesses are doing whether it be Facebook, Apple, Google, or Samsung. Siri is still touch and go for me, I'm waiting for the improvements of iOS6 to see whether it's something I use more in the future, based off the beta and feedback I'm getting it looks like Siri will be able to do EXACTLY! what I wanted her to do from the beginning or should have been doing from the beginning. I would not say there is a lot of Bloatware per say but there does seem to be a lot of things Apple has been adding that a lot of people don't like or see any use for.

Sent from my iBeast of an iPhone using Tapatalk :)

I wouldn't hold my breath just because Apple is not one to try to satisfy the masses, they move at their own pace. You say that Apple had the tendancy to add things that people don't like or use, I'm actually interested to see if Passbook becomes one of those things. iOS6 we asked for offline maps, we get Flyover. I don't see the use in that. It's not the beginning of a Hollywood movie.