The blogs and media take what some few people complain about and drive the issue. They've done it before and they did it here. You agreed that the vast majority of the iOS device owners weren't eve aware of it... a few annoyed techies raised the issue and the media ran with it. The "hide it" thing became an issue when the standard "just stick it in a folder" approach didn't work... and the blogs ran with it.

So newsstand and Siri annoy you but Compass, GameCenter, Stocks and Voice Memos get a pass?

Got it.
    No, I don't think the media made it an issue. All you have to do is look at the comments from said article, most of them are 'thank you's and sighs of relief. Just like the battery and antenna problem, which they do surveys on those to gauge who it's affecting.

Some iOS users don't know about Newstand, some don't know how to turn down the brightness. I would say leave them out of the equation because they won't care either way.

Compass, Voice Memos, Gane Center and Stocks have established use cases. And I use them often. A lot of people do.

But people are still (from other forums) complaining about Newstand to this day. So it isn't the media.
    07-22-2012 09:37 AM
    So you're a subscriber? Tell me more...?

What do you like about it?
    I like that it is easy access to the several magazines that I subscribe to. That's what the app is intended to do and that's what I use it for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    07-22-2012 11:14 AM
    Compass, Voice Memos, Gane Center and Stocks have established use cases. And I use them often. A lot of people do.
    I actually don't use ANY of these at all, but I just accept the fact that they are in the iOS because it is productive for the people that do use them. I have put them in a folder neatly so they do not congest the particular way I like page 2 set up on my 4S.

But people are still (from other forums) complaining about Newstand to this day. So it isn't the media.
    I would tend to say its a combo of people complaining AND the media blowing this up as well. Remember the game 'telephone' - by time the news got to the final person it was so blown outta proportion.

I'm surprised this thread is still open and going. Instead of dragging the subject out, why don't you guys just agree that this is a subject you disagree on and just move on
    sherlock likes this.
    07-22-2012 11:14 AM
    Hot&Spicy Spam with Tabasco sauce built in, and a Garlic Spam... Hot/Spicy is quite good chunked up in scrambled eggs... the Garlic is delish chopped up in pasta salad... I live about an hour away from Austin, MN & the birthplace of Spam... and the home of the Spam Museum.
    07-22-2012 11:33 AM
    Ok, we'll just have to see what happens in the future.
    07-22-2012 04:11 PM
    ...So newsstand and Siri annoy you but Compass, GameCenter, Stocks and Voice Memos get a pass?

Got it.
    Can we change the subject?

GameCenter and Voice Memos annoy the heck out of me. Carry on... LOL
    07-22-2012 09:56 PM
    So newsstand and Siri annoy you but Compass, GameCenter, Stocks and Voice Memos get a pass?

Got it.
    Siri is something you definitely have to see in person just how bad it is. And I had always wondered just how a product with such horrific user experience could ever get released. Especially for a company that reportedly prides itself on things that "just work".

Newstand is just annoying because it won't go away.

Compass, Voice Controls and Stocks, if I use it at least once a year, it's not that bad. Newstand I will never use no matter what.
    07-22-2012 10:17 PM
    you know what else won't go away? this thread. are the mods on vacation?

i've seen less aggressive threads get closed. then again you'd just start with something else lol
    Fausty82 likes this.
    07-22-2012 10:22 PM
    I find Siri useful. Siri understands my speech fine, so I frequently use it to dictate emails and texts. I also use it to make calls when I don't feel like scrolling through my list of about 900 contacts. It's faster than unlocking the phone, opening the phone app, tapping "Contacts," then the first letter, then the name, then the number I want to call. Also, Siri gets better the more you use it. There's a training period and after a certain amount of time, it's highly accurate.

Newstand however..... no reason it should be on the iPhone. It should be iPad exclusively. But I'm guessing that if it was an iPad exclusive, a large number of people would complain that they can't access their subscriptions from their iPhone. What they should have done was make it like iBooks, a voluntary download, that way, if you don't like it, you can delete it. Instead they made it a PITA by making it permanently take up space on the springboard. I'm not OCD, but to be honest, the Newstand just sitting there bothers me a little bit.
    07-23-2012 01:51 AM
    Siri is something you definitely have to see in person just how bad it is. And I had always wondered just how a product with such horrific user experience could ever get released. Especially for a company that reportedly prides itself on things that "just work".

Newstand is just annoying because it won't go away.

Compass, Voice Controls and Stocks, if I use it at least once a year, it's not that bad. Newstand I will never use no matter what.
    Siri has been good for me. I haven't had any issues and I really enjoy using the feature.

I can understand you may not particularly like these features/apps, but why does it bother you so much that they exist on the iPhone? Why do you assume that no one else likes them?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    07-23-2012 06:48 AM
    Newstand however..... no reason it should be on the iPhone. It should be iPad exclusively. But I'm guessing that if it was an iPad exclusive, a large number of people would complain that they can't access their subscriptions from their iPhone. What they should have done was make it like iBooks, a voluntary download, that way, if you don't like it, you can delete it. Instead they made it a PITA by making it permanently take up space on the springboard. I'm not OCD, but to be honest, the Newstand just sitting there bothers me a little bit.
    This is what several people have said. I also agree, iBooks is way more useful and used than Newstand, so why instead of iBooks, is Newstand, with it's poor and meager selection of Newspapers, on the home screen with no where to go?

It's like they're really pushing the feature and they want it to be successful, but it's not working. And the crazy thing is that Apple can afford to push it for many years without ever noticing that no one uses it. I don't think Newstand brings in much $$$.
    07-23-2012 07:08 AM

Best post of the thread.
    Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    07-23-2012 10:58 AM
    or better yet, move this thread where hardly anyone will care -- BRILLIANT!
    07-23-2012 12:58 PM
    I personally don't like the Newsstand app but i like the stock app even though I don't have any investments in anything it still fascinates me to see how businesses are doing whether it be Facebook, Apple, Google, or Samsung. Siri is still touch and go for me, I'm waiting for the improvements of iOS6 to see whether it's something I use more in the future, based off the beta and feedback I'm getting it looks like Siri will be able to do EXACTLY! what I wanted her to do from the beginning or should have been doing from the beginning. I would not say there is a lot of Bloatware per say but there does seem to be a lot of things Apple has been adding that a lot of people don't like or see any use for.

Sent from my iBeast of an iPhone using Tapatalk :-)
    07-23-2012 01:35 PM
    I personally don't like the Newsstand app but i like the stock app even though I don't have any investments in anything it still fascinates me to see how businesses are doing whether it be Facebook, Apple, Google, or Samsung. Siri is still touch and go for me, I'm waiting for the improvements of iOS6 to see whether it's something I use more in the future, based off the beta and feedback I'm getting it looks like Siri will be able to do EXACTLY! what I wanted her to do from the beginning or should have been doing from the beginning. I would not say there is a lot of Bloatware per say but there does seem to be a lot of things Apple has been adding that a lot of people don't like or see any use for.

Sent from my iBeast of an iPhone using Tapatalk :-)
    I wouldn't hold my breath just because Apple is not one to try to satisfy the masses, they move at their own pace. You say that Apple had the tendancy to add things that people don't like or use, I'm actually interested to see if Passbook becomes one of those things. iOS6 we asked for offline maps, we get Flyover. I don't see the use in that. It's not the beginning of a Hollywood movie.
    07-23-2012 09:49 PM
    I wouldn't hold my breath just because Apple is not one to try to satisfy the masses...
    That right there proves you are absolutely, without a doubt totally clueless. Apple is all about satisfying the masses at the expense of appeasing the "geeks" every whim.
    07-23-2012 09:55 PM
    That right there proves you are absolutely, without a doubt totally clueless. Apple is all about satisfying the masses at the expense of appeasing the "geeks" every whim.
    So, you would say that Apple will make a bigger screen just because people wanted it? I wouldn't. I would say that Apple does what they want when they want.
    07-23-2012 10:23 PM
    I wouldn't say that nobody likes Newsstand, but on a 3.5" iPhone screen, yeah, it's pretty pointless. Then again, so is Zinio. The problem isn't the "app" or "app shelf" itself, it's the format. An RSS feed or something like Flipboard, Instapaper, or Readability is something people can and actually do use to get information from an iPhone. I have no interest in trying to zoom in on what is essentially a PDF photo of a magazine on a tiny screen. Then again, there's people who have that same complaint on the iPad, and I actually like the few magazines I have on iPad.

Apple makes products "for the masses", but they absolutely do not "respond to the masses". There's a big difference. Apple makes products that are designed to be easy and consumer friendly. But they absolutely do not have a track record of responding to specific consumer complaints about their products, even widely-held ones (such as lack of expandable storage, can't remove battery, and on and on)
    07-25-2012 03:57 PM
143 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD