Why nobody likes Newstand

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Put this on an episode of **** nobody says. "Hey, let's read a book from Newstand." I've noticed that Apple's apps are hardly ever good apps. I mean, what do they have, Calendar, Reminders, a few other apps. But the ones they have on the app store had actually gotten marginal reviews.

The fact that you can't actually hide Newstand annoys me. It really just gets under your skin, and now I really hate that app. So annoying.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
^ I highly doubt it.

The only thing I like about Stocks is that it's just random data that floats around and makes the phone look cool. Otherwise only about 1% of iPhone owners actually use that.

Now that I think about it, the iPhone actually does come with a lot of that bloatware. Newstand is pretty much the only one you can't hide, and it's the only one you really want to hide. They are really pushing it desperately.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes and it just feels like Newsstand on iPhone was an afterthought.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The fact that you can't actually hide Newstand annoys me. It really just gets under your skin, and now I really hate that app. So annoying.

Yeah for me it's the unhideable icon. That's all.

I just put it on the very last page of my apps and never look at it.

Compared to the bloatware on my Storm2 from Verizon, one icon I never use is a blessing. I had an entire folder full of Verizon bloatware that I kept hidden on that phone. Stuff I'd never use but couldn't get rid of the icons.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I just put it on the very last page of my apps and never look at it.

Compared to the bloatware on my Storm2 from Verizon, one icon I never use is a blessing. I had an entire folder full of Verizon bloatware that I kept hidden on that phone. Stuff I'd never use but couldn't get rid of the icons.

I have a folder of Apple's stock apps that I never use on my iPhone. The more annoying thing is that they keep making more stock apps by splitting up functions like iPod

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
ha ha, Never use compass, never use stocks, game center I never use, cards nobody uses, but the most annoying one is Newstand, because it's just an empty shelf.

It just sits there. And it's one of the only apps, that they KNOW you don't want but they make it impossible to get rid of.

And I thought the new additions such as do not call in iOS6 is gonna be hella confusing. I mean do we really need all that? Do not disturb? They have like several different shut off switches.

So that means that if I'm dying and I tried to call you that I would not get through?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Even with their immense success, they have a few things that nobody will touch. That, Ping. And a few othe bloat ware things.

incorrect. i think you are getting too wrapped in your own obsessions. just because YOU would not use these things does not mean NOBODY will. Apple has to please everyone, not just YOU

and just for the record i do know people who use newsstand, stocks AND ping

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
And I thought the new additions such as do not call in iOS6 is gonna be hella confusing. I mean do we really need all that? Do not disturb? They have like several different shut off switches.

So that means that if I'm dying and I tried to call you that I would not get through?

there are settings within Do Not Disturb to where you can allow certain people to call, anyone or set it up to where if anyone calls twice within X:XX minutes

hopefully if you are dying and whoever you are calling has one of these options set up for you :D

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
ha ha, Never use compass, never use stocks, game center I never use, cards nobody uses, but the most annoying one is Newstand, because it's just an empty shelf.

It just sits there. And it's one of the only apps, that they KNOW you don't want but they make it impossible to get rid of.

IMO, DNC/DND is a bit overkill. If I don't want to talk to anyone, I either mute my phone or turn it off or just don't answer it but I suppose many people will find a lot of usage for DNC/DND.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
IMO, DNC/DND is a bit overkill. If I don't want to talk to anyone, I either mute my phone or turn it off or just don't answer it but I suppose many people will find a lot of usage for DNC/DND.

The mountain of bloatware is building. I already had to actually downgrade iOS because the new stuff they are coming out with is just too much. It's like being in an airplane cockpit. If you are trying to block your own contacts, you should not have ever had them as your contact. so, again, it's something no one will touch.

incorrect. i think you are getting too wrapped in your own obsessions. just because YOU would not use these things does not mean NOBODY will. Apple has to please everyone, not just YOU

and just for the record i do know people who use newsstand, stocks AND ping

Well, those people who you know are going to be sorely dissappointed when Ping shuts down in the coming months. It is already a confirmed failure whether they are using it or not.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

there you again again with that Corn Patch on Hee Haw mentality..

it is indeed very useful. i already use it when in meetings or at night -- silence all except phone calls if needed. works great if i get a **** ton of notifications but still need my phone to Ring aloud

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The mountain of bloatware is building. I already had to actually downgrade iOS because the new stuff they are coming out with is just too much. It's like being in an airplane cockpit. If you are trying to block your own contacts, you should not have ever had them as your contact. so, again, it's something no one will touch.

LHH.. Powerball runs tonight can you give me the winning numbers too?

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
there you again again with that Corn Patch on Hee Haw mentality..

it is indeed very useful. i already use it when in meetings or at night -- silence all except phone calls if needed. works great if i get a **** ton of notifications but still need my phone to Ring aloud

Which is exactly why I said "many people will find a lot of usage for DNC/DND."

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
This is a public forum, so thanks for sharing your opinion on the matter. Although, I do appreciate your comments, please don't speak on behalf of everyone and say "no one uses this" or "no one wants that." Unless you happen to know every single person in this world and know every single iOS user, then by all means go ahead and talk for them. Otherwise, speak for yourself and yourself only.

Now, you bring up an interesting point about news stand. I hate that you cannot hide/delete it, but it's an Apple device and they can do whatever they want with it. I liked the concept of news stand, being able to read news papers/magazines on your device with richer content, but there is simply NO good content. I like to read the news, but i am not subscribing to a magazine for 2 bucks a month. There are plenty of FREE alternatives to news stands, like Twitter, Flipboard, Facebook, etc. If you despise the app soo much, jailbreak your device, download a tweak called "NoNewsIsGoodNews" and it will disappear from your springboard. You don't have to do anything else, just that 1 tweak will solve your problems.

Also, you have a misunderstanding about the 'Do Not Disturb feature. I believe you think it is to ignore people that you are trying to avoid, like blocking numbers, text messages etc. This is wrong. Do Not Disturb is just that. If you are sleeping, in a meeting, at work, watching a movie, the switch will block all alerts, but you will still receive the notification on your phone. Your phone's screen will not light up nor will it vibrate or ring. It is just meant to turn off all notifications without going into air-plane mode. The feature is not meant to block contacts.

The weather app is VERY useful. What world are you living in? I check my weather every day and it works great with notifications centre and for jailbroken devices.

Sorry to break it to you (pun intended) but the stocks app is also, a useful app for people watching the market. I know it may be a bit of a shock for you, but people DO ACTUALLY watch the market, even if you don't. I personally check is to see the price of gold and oil etc, but yes, it is useful even if you don't use it.

Opinions are great, but use fact's that you can actually back up in order to make them relevant.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
i have a 4S, ipad 3 and a Galaxy Nexus... to be quite honest, NewsStand DOES SUCK. Searching for a particular magazine brings up apps and anything other than magazines most of the time. Lack of consistency between publications. The magazine "store" should be separate from apps/books/music.

I must say, as painful as it is to admit, Google Play Magazines is MUCH better than Apple's "NewsStand". Frankly, Newsstand is $#it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner