iPhone4S Newbie - ZERO apps, help

StephenBB81

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Greetings, I'm a BlackBerry corporate user, having been handed an iPhone today.

Zero App Store access.
This is not an Issue on my Old BlackBerry, I missed a few apps, but over all it did the job.
now for this iPhone, I'm looking for some direction that I haven't been able to figure out as of yet

- Contact management
Where do I find groups? in outlook I have 11 Group categories, in BlackBerry I could search my contacts via their group, on the iPhone I seem to only be able to search by name am I missing something?
Where do I set up groups?

- There HAS to be an easier way to jump from Application to Application when in my email I want to grab someones contact info, the way I see it now I press HOME, go to the contact app, find the contact, edit copy the info, HOME button, find Message and then paste. that's a really long process, ( though shortened as I moved the 2 icons side by side now but still) is there a better way to switch between apps? or am I to just get used to the home button?

- Slide to unlock, Can this be disabled whilst keeping password lock? it seems like an unnecessary step, I'll learn to live with it, as it is far from painful but it is just so slow, I don't see the option to disable it.

The rest seems ok, device is nice to hold, has good weight, and the buttons on the side are easy to use.

Thank you for any advice about getting the most out of an Appless iPhone.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Zero app store access, don't know what you mean. Is your company blocking the app store? If that is what you mean then I don't think there is anything you can really do but take it up with them.

-Contacts, I don't use groups but try this.

How to Make a Contact Group on iPhone | eHow.com

If you have outlook you likely also have exchange so get your company to setup your iPhone with your exchange account, and your stuff should all mirror on the iPhone via the exchange active sync.

-App switching, double tap the home button. This launches the fast app switcher and you can see recently used apps. Here you can jump directly from one app to another.

-Slide to unlock, it's there to stay. After a few weeks you won't even think about it.

Reactions: StephenBB81

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
- There HAS to be an easier way to jump from Application to Application when in my email I want to grab someones contact info, the way I see it now I press HOME, go to the contact app, find the contact, edit copy the info, HOME button, find Message and then paste. that's a really long process, ( though shortened as I moved the 2 icons side by side now but still) is there a better way to switch between apps? or am I to just get used to the home button?

For that, all you do is double click the home button and you can switch from app to app like magic. It take a really long time to get use to and understand. But once you get the concept it's simple.

Double tap home button, switch from app to app seamlessly. That's why it's called the app switcher.

StephenBB81

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Zero app store access, don't know what you mean. Is your company blocking the app store? If that is what you mean then I don't think there is anything you can really do but take it up with them.

yes no app store, it wasn't needed on a BlackBerry to have a fully functional BlackBerry, so it seems that the thought process is, "the iPhone is better, it wont need distractions added either"
I'll inform them this is not the case.

-Contacts, I don't use groups but try this.

How to Make a Contact Group on iPhone | eHow.com

If you have outlook you likely also have exchange so get your company to setup your iPhone with your exchange account, and your stuff should all mirror on the iPhone via the exchange active sync

Thank you for this, not even going to come close to working, groups are living things in my world, contacts live within multiple groups, and groups change, from "Lead" to "prospect user" to "user"
I am going to need to find an app for this if I can get App store.

-App switching, double tap the home button. This launches the fast app switcher and you can see recently used apps. Here you can jump directly from one app to another.

Oh awesome! that's just like my BlackBerry! I knew there had to be a better way on the iPhone, and I'm very happy that it is a familiar way! this would have saved me a lot of time yesterday knowing! and probably prevented a few angry tosses of the phone down onto my hotel room bed ;)

-Slide to unlock, it's there to stay. After a few weeks you won't even think about it.

I was fearful of that, can it be moved?
my thumb orientation is just about half way up the screen, the slide to unlock is too low..
I guess I need to learn how to hold the phone, when I pick it up the slide to unlock is in an uncomfortable place

This is going to be a really odd question, but has there ever been videos that weren't being Stupid, about how to hold your iPhone? I have heard many times over that it is easy to use 1 handed,

StephenBB81

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
For that, all you do is double click the home button and you can switch from app to app like magic. It take a really long time to get use to and understand. But once you get the concept it's simple.

Double tap home button, switch from app to app seamlessly. That's why it's called the app switcher.

I suppose if it's called app switcher I probably should have read the manual to find that it existed.

Wont take long to get used to, been doing it for many years on my previous device, I'm happy that it is seemless on the iPhone

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro