Hi there,

a friend of mine recommended me to post my app in this forum. He got lot's of feedback and improvement suggestions. My app is free and I would appreciate any feedback or ciritc.

Track my Life shows you where you spend your life. It answers questions like "How much time do I spend at home?", "How long am I at work?" and "How much time do I spend on my way to work?".

The magic happens 100% in background. You do not have to open the app and tell that there's a new location.

Let me show you some screenshots:
    + Home

The homepage shows an overview of where you've been. The size of each pin represents how long you've stayed at the location. The lines correspond to the way you've put back.

+ Pin detail view

The pin detail view shows the name of the city the pin is related to and how long you've been there.

+ Statistics

The statistics view shows you how many kilometers you've put back past 24 hours, past week, past month and since you've downloaded the app.
    In addition it gives information about how many cities you've been in and where you stayed mostly.

These are the main features of Track my Life.

I want to say a few words about pricing, privacy and energy consumption:
    + Pricing: The app is free because its part of my bachelor thesis and that's enough reward.
    + Privacy: Your data is not transmitted in any kind to me or anyone. It's part of my thesis to determine a way to transmit location data in a way that protects privacy according to german law (very strict in privacy issues). But this feature will come with an update in late 2012 and is not implemented yet. You will then have the ability to turn off location sharing.
    + Energy consumption: The app does not affect energy consumption if you don't keep it open and the light on. If you have a different feeling feel free to contact me.

I wrote the app for Android and Windows Phone, too.

Appstore link: Track my Life for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store

The development of the app took a lot of time and I would appreciate if you would take a look at it

Best regards
    Derek
    06-01-2012 07:12 AM
    Nice app, I am on the road today and excited about the results.

Could you please specify the energy consumption?
    06-03-2012 01:56 AM
    Of course.

Track my Life does not abuse battery in any kind because energy saving had the highest priority during development.

Track my Life listens to the "significant location change" event of iOS. This event fires everytime the phone is connected to a new gprs antenna, wifi network or another app uses gps. Then the location database of Track my Life is openend and the new coordinate saved. This takes less than 50 milliseconds, happens about 1000 times a month and thus has no effect on the phones energy consumption.
    06-03-2012 08:00 PM
    This have a market by targeting the parents.
    Most parents esp Asian parents, will like to know their children's whereabouts.
    Not too much details that would abuse the children's policy and can also let parents feel more relieved.
    Not gonna use it, but seems like a great app.
    06-03-2012 10:47 PM
    This have a market by targeting the parents.
    Most parents esp Asian parents, will like to know their children's whereabouts.
    Not too much details that would abuse the children's policy and can also let parents feel more relieved.
    Not gonna use it, but seems like a great app.
    Hey Charles,

did not think about that yet. The app was not designed to be a "stalking" app. But you're right. If you took a look at your childrens/boy-/girlfriends Track my Life app on their phone you would see where they spend their day.

Cheers
    Derek
    06-04-2012 03:31 AM
    Hey Derek,

been using the app for two days now. App is working awesome!

How does it work??
    06-05-2012 07:06 AM
    Hi,

die App registers to the "on significant change" event of iOS. As the name presumes, the event fires everytime you significantly change your location e.g. your phone connects to a new antenna.

This happens, depending on how much your traveling, 0 to 100 times a day.

Cheers
    Derek
    06-06-2012 01:39 AM
    The navigation icon in the status bar is on when this app is in the background and that icon just tells me that it's sucking my battery, so I appreciate that it goes away when I put something like google maps to the background. So I've turned off location services for track my life. I thought location services was synonymous with gps, so if the app is using cell towers to track me and location services is off for that app, shouldn't it still work? If its not actually tracking me the entire time that the location icon is showing and track my life isin the background, maybe it should only show the location icon when it actually sees the "significant location change" event, if apple will let you do it that way.
    06-06-2012 09:47 PM
    Hey Patrick,
    thanks for your reply.
    Apple decided to show the status bar icon for every application that registers to the "on significant location change" event.
    But it does definately not suck battery. The event gets fired, depending on how much you move, 0 to 60 times a day. Every call just stores the coordinate in the db. This just takes a few milliseconds. So the energy consumption in total a day is at max as much as turning the display light on once.

Please just check it out one day with and one day without location services.

Thanks for your feedback! I assume many users are concerned about that.

Besides that, does the app appeal to you?

Cheers
    Derek
    06-07-2012 03:38 AM
    Hey,

is it possible for you to add a feature that allows renaming of the pins e.g. "New York" to "Home"?
    06-08-2012 05:24 AM
    Hi,

that feature has already been requested (see https://intern.ceseros.de/jira/browse/TMLIOS-4 ) and will come with one of the upcoming releases.

Cheers
    Derek
    06-09-2012 04:25 AM
    So what do you guys think???

Cheers
    Derek
    06-11-2012 04:30 PM
    Version 1.2 was relased today. Some bugs were fixed and the about site is now more accurate.
    06-12-2012 05:00 PM
    Hi,
    I've uploaded version 1.3 today. Adds support for iOS 6 and a FAQ feature.

Cheers
    Derek
    06-14-2012 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD