HELP! Can I do this with an app???

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Is it possible to run an app on a PC and copy/scrape the text within the app?

There is an app that I use that has a lot of text. The text is not shown on their website but only in the app and I would like to copy it and save it to word.

I can manually copy and paste to email, but that will take a VERY long time as there are 1000's of pages. Doing it on a PC and creating a scrapper will be much easier (if possible).

It's not copyright information or anything illegal.

Thanks!

SimonSage

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
This sounds tricky and kind of shady. What do you need to do this for?

The only way I could imagine doing that is if you ran an iOS emulator on your computer, but then you'd have to get access to the app elsewhere, and learn all sorts of developer stuff. Alternatively, you could take screencaps and scan the text through OCR recognition, maybe through Google Goggles or something.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Hey.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay -- Memorial Day weekend.

The app contains content (topics) that we use during meetings. We would like to put that stuff into Excel so that we do not have to use the iPhone or iPad to access it.

I know that doesn't help much, so maybe an emulator is the best/only possible option but I feel that the app is actually pulling data from the web. Almost like it is accessing a mobile web version...

Thoughts?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Why not try contacting the developer of the app directly? Bear in mind you're talking about one app but two different OSs.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I have but they are not interested and encourage using the app. They do not have ads or a paid service so I'm not sure what they are losing by giving me the data. Additionally, it updates daily.

Somewhere in the .app/.ipa file, there should be code that shows where the app is getting the data. I looked around but could not find it.

Blahhh