Best turn by turn navigation apps for iPhone?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Navigon. Stores a full map on the device so you're not dependent on a data signal... and you can use it on a wifi iPad with a BadElf or bluetooth GPS puck too :D Navigon is closest to the end-user experiences I've had with my Garmin Nuvi765t.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Also, give the MapQuest app a try. It is accurate, has turn by turn voice navigation and is free.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm still partial to the Tom Tom app! It is awesome! But it is expensive. But like I always say..."you get what you pay for"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Tomtom the best for me. Never had a problem with it, but have with some of the free ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The Google Navigation that I had on my Android devices was the best I've used for a smartphone and although my vehicle's Garmin GPS system is up-to-date, I use the MapQuest app via my iPhone from time to time. Yet, because quite a few people are complimenting the Waze app, I think I'm going to give it a try.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I would definitely consider breaking this down into paid and free apps if you're taking a poll...there can be such a huge price difference that it's really two different categories.

soleobjective

May 17, 2012
Visit site
MapQuest is pretty good, its a little buggy for me at times so I might venture into the paid category. I wanted to try Navigon, but paying $60+ on an app is a little out of a broke college student's price range lol

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have never felt the need to spend money on a turn by turn GPS app; I have used the maps app a bit, and that works for me.

I have been using the MapQuest free app lately, and it seems perfect for what I need: occasional direction help. Plus, its free...so thats always good!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have never felt the need to spend money on a turn by turn GPS app; I have used the maps app a bit, and that works for me.

I have been using the MapQuest free app lately, and it seems perfect for what I need: occasional direction help. Plus, its free...so thats always good!

Like you, it is not practical to purchase a navigation app for my usage especially being that I have an updated dedicated GPS device in my vehicle. Every now and then I'll forgo using it for the MapQuest app and have been completely satisfied with it, but today, I downloaded the Waze app just to check it out. At first glance, it's appealing. I didn't create an account or anything like that with it, but I'll drive around a little later to see how it is.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
JustMe'D...I have seen that app a number of times while browsing the marketplace, but I have always been turned off by it because of it being a "social app". I'm curious to hear if you like it or not, and how "social" it actually is. It looks like it has some good benefits and features.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
JustMe'D...I have seen that app a number of times while browsing the marketplace, but I have always been turned off by it because of it being a "social app". I'm curious to hear if you like it or not, and how "social" it actually is. It looks like it has some good benefits and features.

Like you, I was skeptical of using Waze because of its social aspect, but it is indeed a very good and accurate navigational app. I didn't like how it displayed nearby Waze users even though the ones I've noticed were labeled 'anonymous', but its settings are very customizable and I was able to disable that feature and others I didn't care for. I found Waze to be simple to use, elegant, accurate and customizable and furthermore, I see why so many people like it. It's definitely a keeper, in my opinion. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

birdman325

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Shouldn't this also be separated between Navigation apps that use data (so if you are using it for example, on vacation in a foreign country, your roaming data fees could kill you), and dedicated Navigation apps that use the GPS chip inside the iPhone (and therefore do not use any data).

I have an old ipaq with a dedicated GPS chip and I use iGuidance software that loads up the maps into the ipaq. It is an old device, but when I go on vacation, I use it in the rental car for turn by turn spoken navigation and I do not pay any data fees, just the 1x purchase price. A friend of mine used his iPhone and maps to get from the airport to his hotel and his data fees were through the roof.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Those concerns should be taken into account by the needs of the end user, caveat emptor.

Navigon is the best of both worlds on an iPhone... you don't need data unless you subscribe to traffic services... you're not using data to fetch maps, because you choose what maps are on the device, and saved - while on wifi.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Shouldn't this also be separated between Navigation apps that use data (so if you are using it for example, on vacation in a foreign country, your roaming data fees could kill you), and dedicated Navigation apps that use the GPS chip inside the iPhone (and therefore do not use any data).

I have an old ipaq with a dedicated GPS chip and I use iGuidance software that loads up the maps into the ipaq. It is an old device, but when I go on vacation, I use it in the rental car for turn by turn spoken navigation and I do not pay any data fees, just the 1x purchase price. A friend of mine used his iPhone and maps to get from the airport to his hotel and his data fees were through the roof.

No, because the OP asked which navigation apps do we use and what is our favorites and why? Just offer to differentiate between those that uses data and those that do not. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices