What's the best weather app?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know which weather app is 'best' because that is subjective, however, a popular weather app is Fahrenheit. It displays the current temperature on your home screen and is pretty accurate, in my experience.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I don't know which weather app is 'best' because that is subjective, however, a popular weather app is Fahrenheit. It displays the current temperature on your home screen and is pretty accurate, in my experience.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

JMD,

Do you happen to know what they use as their source for current conditions.
I looked it up on the app store and didn't see any mention. I like the idea of having the temp on the icon.

As I mention in the post above, I like like how Weather Underground uses neighborhood weather stations for current conditions. There could be 3-5 degrees difference in one's local area vs. the airport or other major sources.

TIA

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Weather Underground for me.
I like how it uses neighborhood weather stations for current conditions.
Good Luck

There's a disadvantage to neighborhood weather stations too... ones that are improperly sited and poorly calibrated can be misleading.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
JMD,

Do you happen to know what they use as their source for current conditions.
I looked it up on the app store and didn't see any mention. I like the idea of having the temp on the icon.

As I mention in the post above, I like like how Weather Underground uses neighborhood weather stations for current conditions. There could be 3-5 degrees difference in one's local area vs. the airport or other major sources.

TIA

According to the app itself, the source of weather is provided by FORECA. Very little 'specific' information is provide at http://corporate.foreca.com/en/

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

kshen1

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

My favorite is fahrenheit too. Just seems to be much more elegant and easy to use.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
There's a disadvantage to neighborhood weather stations too... ones that are improperly sited and poorly calibrated can be misleading.

I agree. I have heard others complain their stations update infrequently.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones whose neighborhood station is on the ball. Updates frequently and seems to be fairly consistent with other neighborhood stations nearby.

Good Luck

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
For those of you with iPads, the WunderMap app dispalys a full screen map with radar of your local area. A lot less clutter than the map on the Weather Channel App

Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My favorite is fahrenheit too. Just seems to be much more elegant and easy to use.

Sorry for the slow response. I'm down to the final 40 or so pages of Vince Flynn's book, "Memorial Day". I read it a few years back via paperback and decided to re-read it via my Nook Simple Touch ereader. Anyway, I agree with your assessment that Fahrenheit is elegant and easy to use. Of all of the ones I've tried, it is my favorite. I also enjoy the Intellicast HD app for weather radar. I use it on my iPad.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Last edited:

robclif4d

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I switched to Weather Underground this week. I have a local weather station 1 mile from home which updates every few minutes.

robclif4d

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Something else. I was watching the Weather Channel Saturday night (Kansas tornados) and one person mentioned the use of Twitter. They said Twitter allows people to get ahead of storm updates as far as how fast updates are given. I only follow people on Twitter when it's something I NEED to know. As of Saturday night, I follow our top two weathermen in Columbus on Twitter. I have Alert USA which is great for receiving severe weather alerts and iMap Weather radio (among other apps), but Twitter has the ability to produce updates even faster.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711