What's the best weather app?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Something else. I was watching the Weather Channel Saturday night (Kansas tornados) and one person mentioned the use of Twitter. They said Twitter allows people to get ahead of storm updates as far as how fast updates are given. I only follow people on Twitter when it's something I NEED to know. As of Saturday night, I follow our top two weathermen in Columbus on Twitter. I have Alert USA which is great for receiving severe weather alerts and iMap Weather radio (among other apps), but Twitter has the ability to produce updates even faster.

Here in Orlando, keeping track of the weather is part of life, especially during hurricane season. I've been following a popular & local weather channel via Twitter for quite some time and they provide frequent and accurate updates Twitter is tops when it comes to getting up to the minute information and that's why I enjoy it so much. Anyway, I'm glad you mentioned it in your post. Take care. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Something else. I was watching the Weather Channel Saturday night (Kansas tornados) and one person mentioned the use of Twitter. They said Twitter allows people to get ahead of storm updates as far as how fast updates are given. I only follow people on Twitter when it's something I NEED to know. As of Saturday night, I follow our top two weathermen in Columbus on Twitter. I have Alert USA which is great for receiving severe weather alerts and iMap Weather radio (among other apps), but Twitter has the ability to produce updates even faster.

Twitter is only as good as the data source... and any idiot can be a data source. Know who you follow... there are a few twitter "bots" out there that scour the official National Weather Service wire distribution and will tweet warnings by state... following the two wx-guys from Columbus is not a bad thing...

I subscribe to weathertap.com - originally just for their radar on my computer, but they have services for mobile and warning notifications as apart of the package... and I also subscribed to warning notifications on the app My-Cast, and as a 3rd back-up - subscribe to email warnings from The WeatherChannel. All of those get me warnings for my locale before, or at worst at the same time the TV stations run their graphic crawls.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I cannot find intellicast in the App Store. Ar you JB?

If you're searching for it via the App Store from your iPhone, it won't show up, but if you use your iPad, you will find it. ... Intellicast HD

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
If you're searching for it via the App Store from your iPhone, it won't show up, but if you use your iPad, you will find it. ... Intellicast HD

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Yep that app is ipad only.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Webcrsn

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Best weather app

I would suggest you try Intellicast. It is free and has almost every feature you would want in a weather app.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Wunderground

I also use Weather Underground at http://i.wund.com/ . It's not an iPhone app, it's a web app so just bookmark it to you home screen. It really has the most accurate forecasts.
In addition in use Fizz Wether for the forecast graphs. The total rainfall graph one is the best for giving hour by hour rainfall predictions and it's pretty darn accurate.
I use radarscope for local radar and the "full screen wundermap" under 'radar' at i.wund.com for national radar composites.
I'm using 'wx alert USA' for severe weather notifications.

I used to use AccuWeather because it had the most accurate forecasts and often the only right forecast other than Weather Underground. But they totally redesigned the app (interface) and I've always hated it. I finally gave up and deleted it.

EDIT: I wasn't aware that weather underground had finally released a native iPhone app. It looks like it has all of the goodness of the web version so kudos to that.

Last edited:

newsome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
eWeather HD

eWeather HD for me. I used Farenheit for a while but it doesn't have a lot of information - specifically good radar. eWeather HD has great radar, good forecasts, and I've found it to be accurate. I've tried a bunch - including Farenheit, WeatherBug (the paid version), the Weather Channel app, and Wunderground - and I've settled on and been happy with eWeather HD.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree with quite a few other members here in regards to Fahrenheit - its been pretty accurate for me since i've dwld it when i first got my iphone in Nov. I did also dwld and try eWeatherHD but did not care for it - it seemed "too busy" for me.

I also use TWC & the native iphone weather app. If you arent worried about having a badge icon that updates temp on an hourly basis like Fahrenheit does, then my next suggestion would be TWC, as this also has a tab called 'season' for those of you that like to know how the pollen is in your area - i view that daily !! :)

Ravendos

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I personally use both Weatherbug elite and WeatherTap Zoom on both my ipad and my iphone. I like the interface that wqeather bug provides and the easy to read radar. but there are time where I want to know more about the storm, especially if it's severe so I lok at weathertap. This is a radar app that allows you to look at a storm from the various NWS Radar sites around your area. I can see how the storm is formed and get Directions, Speed, hail probablility, windspeeds from taping a square. It's great.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Actually if not leaving home area it is Oregon, don't really need an app to assume it will be dingy and raining. Maybe a couple months in summer... rest of the year rain.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Actually if not leaving home area it is Oregon, don't really need an app to assume it will be dingy and raining. Maybe a couple months in summer... rest of the year rain.

In Iowa we always say "Don't like the weather? Give it an hour or so... It will be better. Or maybe worse." :D

coskier

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
For forecasts, I have found weather.com to be the most accurate here in Colorado. Way better than the local weather people.

newsome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Fyi

I would suggest you try Intellicast. It is free and has almost every feature you would want in a weather app.

FYI - eWeather HD gets its forecasts from Intellicast in the US and is a universal app, so it's beautiful on the iPad as well. It is a lot of information, but I like having that much info at my fingertips! It's not free, but well worth the cost IMHO.

ls108

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Weather Apps

Living in the tail end of Tornado Alley ( Indiana) I use imap weather radio.. basically it gives all serve weather alerts based on your actual location.Ones that are given in the summer and winter also. its location based.Using the phone gps to alert the phone if weather is in your area.And it isn't a heavy drain on the battery using the GPS.It also alerts thru your phone that an alert is active( just like an actual weather radio)The cost is 9.99 but well worth it

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal