What's the best weather app?

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to get one app that had current weather, a forecast, and live radar that shows the type of precipitation (snow, freezing rain, rain, etc). I tried a lot and finally settled on Weatherbug Elite.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Living in the tail end of Tornado Alley ( Indiana) I use imap weather radio.. basically it gives all serve weather alerts based on your actual location.Ones that are given in the summer and winter also. its location based.Using the phone gps to alert the phone if weather is in your area.And it isn't a heavy drain on the battery using the GPS.It also alerts thru your phone that an alert is active( just like an actual weather radio)The cost is 9.99 but well worth it
I live in area where severe storms, are big and give lots of warning. If I lived in area where severe storms were small and sudden, I would use Twitter. Now that I think about, I can't think of another good use for twitter.

dino195

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this is still working but my local news station was offering the iMap weather radio app for iPhone for free yesterday. It does work on the iPad but you will have to send the text and manually enter the link replied into Safari then manually enter the code and redeem the free app in iTunes

Copied from the news channel's FB page:

You can now get the News On 6 iPhone Weather Radio App for FREE by texting TRAVIS to 79640. It?s usually $9.99, but we?re making it available for free!

Text TRAVIS to 79640. When you get the text, scroll to the very bottom of that page and you'll see a "capcha," where you have to enter the words you see on the screen.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this is still working but my local news station was offering the iMap weather radio app for iPhone for free yesterday. It does work on the iPad but you will have to send the text and manually enter the link replied into Safari then manually enter the code and redeem the free app in iTunes

Copied from the news channel's FB page:

You can now get the News On 6 iPhone Weather Radio App for FREE by texting TRAVIS to 79640. It?s usually $9.99, but we?re making it available for free!

Text TRAVIS to 79640. When you get the text, scroll to the very bottom of that page and you'll see a "capcha," where you have to enter the words you see on the screen.

It appears this has expired. Not even a reply to the text today. :( Bummer, that could have been nice. I quit using my weather radio because it goes off so often around here.

dino195

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, bummer. Oh well, I tried.

The reason I like this app is that it is very localized. It uses locational services and only goes off if you are actually in a warning box. So you don't have to hear it go off every time there is a NWS warning for areas in other parts of your state. I live in Oklahoma and believe me, we have plenty of warnings as well. It gets old when the weather radio wakes you up in the middle of the night for something that is nowhere near your area. Could just save your life someday though.

BTW, I see you are from Alabama. I own a tree service and spent last Summer in the Birmingham area. I have family there and they asked me to come remove the storm damaged trees at their homes as there was a big waiting list with local services after last year's tornadoes. I spent 6 months there removing hazardous, storm damaged trees. A lot of trees on houses there last year.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I use:

native weather app
TWC
Weatherbug

The one thing that I have is that no matter how I tweek these (input your zip code of the funky Yahoo Weather location code, the temps between the native, TWC and Weatherbug are most often off my a degree or two.. which bugs the crap out of me.. even though the zip code has been entered the same or the zip code was searched in YahooWeather to get the zip-code equivalent code (USCA0937)- which some weather apps need, the weather temp isn't always correct.

Also, for those using native weather or weatherbug, you can download a JB'd app called WeatherIcon that will let you post your temp on your home screen weather icon.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
...the temps between the native, TWC and Weatherbug are most often off my a degree or two.. which bugs the crap out of me..

Each app uses data collected from likely different "on the ground sources" at different time intervals. It is what it is - and not worth getting bugged about, because it can't be "fixed"... cuz it's not really broke.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for the extra help.

We spend a fortune on tree service here in Alabackwards. After Katrina, they made a killing, and I know the tornadoes in the northern part of the state have kept y'all in business. No offense, but I hope to not need you again. ;)

Yeah, bummer. Oh well, I tried.

The reason I like this app is that it is very localized. It uses locational services and only goes off if you are actually in a warning box. So you don't have to hear it go off every time there is a NWS warning for areas in other parts of your state. I live in Oklahoma and believe me, we have plenty of warnings as well. It gets old when the weather radio wakes you up in the middle of the night for something that is nowhere near your area. Could just save your life someday though.

BTW, I see you are from Alabama. I own a tree service and spent last Summer in the Birmingham area. I have family there and they asked me to come remove the storm damaged trees at their homes as there was a big waiting list with local services after last year's tornadoes. I spent 6 months there removing hazardous, storm damaged trees. A lot of trees on houses there last year.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
looks cool thanks- I have been using skymotion lately- it gives you a 2 hour window and tells you when its going rain, snow etc- amazingly accurate- great for finding the window to take the dogs out without getting soaked...

Skippy

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
I use [URL="http://itunes.apple.com/app/weatherpro/id294631159?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]WeatherPro[/URL], have given me the most accurate result.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Well no one is the best, as some have better features then others.

WeatherUnderground
Weather 2x
Hi-Def Radar
Radar Scope
Solar
TWC Max
Weather live

Those I use all the time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads