Looking for an app for a nurse to do charting. My wife is a hospice nurse and wants to use her iPad2 for charting her patient visits. Does anyone know of a good app?
    03-30-2012 11:02 AM
    I would be VERY careful, and probably not advise this.

By using an app such as this, you will be housing patient data (Health Records, Protected by HIPPA) on a personal device that is not encrypted. This is a HUGE issue (speaking as a server admin at a large healthcare institution).

The only way I would use an ipad as a charter device is if it were merely a front end for a EHR housed on properly secured servers. Likely running citrix....or something similar.
    04-03-2012 04:02 PM
    Looking for an app for a nurse to do charting. My wife is a hospice nurse and wants to use her iPad2 for charting her patient visits. Does anyone know of a good app?
    Like the above poster says, your wife should talk to her employer first before even looking for an app. HIPAA laws are strict and could put both your wife and employer at liability.

If it in any way involves patient data it will have to be approved by her employer.
    04-03-2012 05:11 PM
    I would be VERY careful, and probably not advise this.

By using an app such as this, you will be housing patient data (Health Records, Protected by HIPPA) on a personal device that is not encrypted. This is a HUGE issue (speaking as a server admin at a large healthcare institution).

The only way I would use an ipad as a charter device is if it were merely a front end for a EHR housed on properly secured servers. Likely running citrix....or something similar.
    This... I would advise the original poster to consult with their employer, and see if their IT department or service provider has an app for charting that is HIPPA compliant. This is NOT something one should do on their own.
    04-03-2012 05:27 PM
    There are a number of HIPAA (at least get the acronym right) compliant apps in the app store that let you manage your medical practice needs. Search on HIPAA and you'll get a list.

Many hospitals have internal policies as well that you need to be aware of if your practice is affiliated with a hospital.

It is not difficult to be HIPAA compliant, but you will want to be certain you are in compliance when it comes to patient records.
    04-03-2012 10:30 PM
    So nobody answered the question. Awesome.
    09-07-2013 07:44 PM
    I believe it was more than adequately answered...
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    09-07-2013 07:48 PM
    Agreed it was more than answered and thew same answer I mind you by everyone being on the same page, HIPPA privacy is nothing to mess with for her to chart and take it off premises where she works. The info is the property of her employer and not her no matter how you spin it.
    09-07-2013 08:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD