Nurses charting app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spdracer

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Looking for an app for a nurse to do charting. My wife is a hospice nurse and wants to use her iPad2 for charting her patient visits. Does anyone know of a good app?

ncl

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I would be VERY careful, and probably not advise this.

By using an app such as this, you will be housing patient data (Health Records, Protected by HIPPA) on a personal device that is not encrypted. This is a HUGE issue (speaking as a server admin at a large healthcare institution).

The only way I would use an ipad as a charter device is if it were merely a front end for a EHR housed on properly secured servers. Likely running citrix....or something similar.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Looking for an app for a nurse to do charting. My wife is a hospice nurse and wants to use her iPad2 for charting her patient visits. Does anyone know of a good app?

Like the above poster says, your wife should talk to her employer first before even looking for an app. HIPAA laws are strict and could put both your wife and employer at liability.

If it in any way involves patient data it will have to be approved by her employer.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I would be VERY careful, and probably not advise this.

By using an app such as this, you will be housing patient data (Health Records, Protected by HIPPA) on a personal device that is not encrypted. This is a HUGE issue (speaking as a server admin at a large healthcare institution).

The only way I would use an ipad as a charter device is if it were merely a front end for a EHR housed on properly secured servers. Likely running citrix....or something similar.

This... I would advise the original poster to consult with their employer, and see if their IT department or service provider has an app for charting that is HIPPA compliant. This is NOT something one should do on their own.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
There are a number of HIPAA (at least get the acronym right) compliant apps in the app store that let you manage your medical practice needs. Search on HIPAA and you'll get a list.

Many hospitals have internal policies as well that you need to be aware of if your practice is affiliated with a hospital.

It is not difficult to be HIPAA compliant, but you will want to be certain you are in compliance when it comes to patient records.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So nobody answered the question. Awesome.
Agreed it was more than answered and thew same answer I mind you by everyone being on the same page, HIPPA privacy is nothing to mess with for her to chart and take it off premises where she works. The info is the property of her employer and not her no matter how you spin it.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
In general, at work, they must provide an application.

Hello and welcome to iMore. I would guess that most hospitals/medical facilities have extensive software that includes charting for nurses.

Since this is a very old thread, I am closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2