Good cycling app?

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Wahoo bike mount for my iPhone 4. I currently have a Garmin 705 cycling computer, but am interested in using my iPhone as my cycling computer. There seems to be a wealth of cycling apps, but I wonder which apps you guys like? I am an avid road biker. I am interested in the usual stuff such as speed, distance, elevation gain, cadence, heart etc. My Garmin also gives current grade such as 7% hill. What apps have inclinometers that work? Also, do any of the apps give turn by turn directions for loaded routes?

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I was just about to ask this as well. I only have two. Runkeeper, which is just meh, and then I bought one called Bi.Cycle which seems to be nice.

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Cycling app

Basically, what I am looking to do is mimic to some degree my Garmin 705. I'd like to display speed, distance, time, heart rate, cadence, total ascent, inclinometer, current altitude, at a glance. Does that app do that? The problem with the app store is that you have to buy the app to find out!

rkguy

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
MotionX is popular. garmin has an app out too
bikeradar.com/news/article/___DELETE_THIS_SPACE__garmin-launch-iphone-android-bike-computer-app-32149

I hate that I can't post links

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Cyclemeter is what I use. U can also use it to post rides to fb, twitter and dailymile and if you like it will update your location on google maps so people can follow your progress on races

rkguy

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Cyclemeter is what I use. U can also use it to post rides to fb, twitter and dailymile and if you like it will update your location on google maps so people can follow your progress on races
really? Does cyclemeter do heartrate and cadence?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I just got a Wahoo bike mount for my iPhone 4. I currently have a Garmin 705 cycling computer, but am interested in using my iPhone as my cycling computer. There seems to be a wealth of cycling apps, but I wonder which apps you guys like? I am an avid road biker. I am interested in the usual stuff such as speed, distance, elevation gain, cadence, heart etc. My Garmin also gives current grade such as 7% hill. What apps have inclinometers that work? Also, do any of the apps give turn by turn directions for loaded routes?

Have you tried Strava Cycling?

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Cyclemeter

really? Does cyclemeter do heartrate and cadence?

Yes it does with the Wahoo case and Ant + detector. Furthermore, I emailed them today after I downloaded the app. I wanted 8 data displays for the stopwatch part, and it only has 6. I wondered if they might change that in the future. Turns out version 7 is coming soon, and man, it looks terrific. Looks better than my Garmin 705. Here is a link they sent me with a video of the new version:

Video of new version

I played with the older version today, though not on the bike, and it looks good but is missing some things I wanted. Looks like this new version will have all the things I want.

yhtomitn64

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
re: strava

Haven't tried that one, but I looked at it. Looks very nice, but basic. No cadence or HR.

Strava is great because of the segment feature which allows you to compete with anyone else who has ridden that part of the route. The app might have less features than others but once your data is uploaded to the site what they do with it is quite amazing.