iPhone maps issue

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Anyone else have this problem?

When I put my address in my contacts as my home address, and ask Siri "where is my house" - I get some location about 250 miles away in Austin TX!

If I search for my home address directly in Google Maps, it shows me my location.

But when there is a "transfer" from my contacts to Google maps (even just tapping on the address in Contacts or using Siri) I get this odd location (instead of 1909 Beatrice Avenue in Edinburg, I get an address in Austin, TX).

Any ideas?

Chris

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else have this problem?

When I put my address in my contacts as my home address, and ask Siri "where is my house" - I get some location about 250 miles away in Austin TX!

If I search for my home address directly in Google Maps, it shows me my location.

But when there is a "transfer" from my contacts to Google maps (even just tapping on the address in Contacts or using Siri) I get this odd location (instead of 1909 Beatrice Avenue in Edinburg, I get an address in Austin, TX).

Any ideas?

Chris

Try a reboot or a restore yet ? Could be a firmware corruption

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
To the OP: Are you doing this while connected to Wifi?

Google maps may lock-on to your present Wifi location before the phone's GPS takes over - and if your wifi connection's location is hosed in the database Google maps uses, it will show you somewhere you're not.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
It's not the phone itself, as my wife's phone does the same thing.

It happens on both wifi and cell data. Even if it was just wifi, I don't think it would show somewhere that is 250 miles away.

Feel free to try it on your phones! I all but guarantee that you will see the same thing.

Create a contact with this address - 1909 Beatrice Avenue, Edinburg, TX 78539.

Then tap the address and tell me where it shows up on the Google maps.

Yet, if from within Google you search for the address (typing it manually) then it will find it.

Chris

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It's not the phone itself, as my wife's phone does the same thing.

It happens on both wifi and cell data. Even if it was just wifi, I don't think it would show somewhere that is 250 miles away.

Feel free to try it on your phones! I all but guarantee that you will see the same thing.

Create a contact with this address - 1909 Beatrice Avenue, Edinburg, TX 78539.

Then tap the address and tell me where it shows up on the Google maps.

Yet, if from within Google you search for the address (typing it manually) then it will find it.

Chris

Weird ... Wonder how many occurrences there are of this or for whatever reasons this is an anomaly

B

bonesb

The Maps app isn't Google Maps - it's Apple's Maps app.

There's no "reason" the Maps app is showing an address in an incorrect location. Apple has purchased a database, which contains relational errors.

For instance, I've entered an address in a few mapping sites - the iOS Maps app, Mapquest/AOL/TomTom/Bing - and get the same incorrect location for an address, and entered the identical address into Nokia Maps (NAVTEQ) and found my pin 150 miles off, only to find Google Maps isn't any more accurate.

Even more maddening, I've found some cities to be absolutely perfect but adjacent cities to be off. And, tapping on a contact in the Maps app gets me pinned in the wrong place - only to find that editing out the "United States" in the address yields the correct location.

All griping aside, I've found that data produced from active agencies here in the PNW (Metro in OR, King Co in WA) to be fairly updated and accurate, while rural areas here in the PNW to be a crap shoot. I'm off to Boise in the morning, so I'll be likely looking for gas or a burger in the middle of a frozen field. I'll actually be sticking to I-84, since I've learned that the Maps app isn't all that accurate (neither is Yelp, for that matter...).

I've opted to bookmark the mobile Google Maps app as a web app - it's what Google is recommending now for iPhones, and it's actually worked pretty well.

VydorScope

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
T I'll actually be sticking to I-84, since I've learned that the Maps app isn't all that accurate (neither is Yelp, for that matter...).

I have a Garmin in my truck, and formally had Android phone with Google's navigation app, and both are wrong at time... but what I have found is that they seem to be the most accurate along major interstates. So when we drive we stick to them and usually the gas/food locations in it are correct. The Garmin performs the best of any I have tried so far though.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
The Maps app isn't Google Maps - it's Apple's Maps app.

There's no "reason" the Maps app is showing an address in an incorrect location. Apple has purchased a database, which contains relational errors.

For instance, I've entered an address in a few mapping sites - the iOS Maps app, Mapquest/AOL/TomTom/Bing - and get the same incorrect location for an address, and entered the identical address into Nokia Maps (NAVTEQ) and found my pin 150 miles off, only to find Google Maps isn't any more accurate.

Even more maddening, I've found some cities to be absolutely perfect but adjacent cities to be off. And, tapping on a contact in the Maps app gets me pinned in the wrong place - only to find that editing out the "United States" in the address yields the correct location.

All griping aside, I've found that data produced from active agencies here in the PNW (Metro in OR, King Co in WA) to be fairly updated and accurate, while rural areas here in the PNW to be a crap shoot. I'm off to Boise in the morning, so I'll be likely looking for gas or a burger in the middle of a frozen field. I'll actually be sticking to I-84, since I've learned that the Maps app isn't all that accurate (neither is Yelp, for that matter...).

I've opted to bookmark the mobile Google Maps app as a web app - it's what Google is recommending now for iPhones, and it's actually worked pretty well.

Thanks for the information regarding the Maps app. Wasn't aware that it wasn't a direct port of Google Maps.

But the odd thing isn't that it just can't find my address. I could understand if there was a database error, and my address was not correct.

The odd thing is that if I SEARCH for the address in the Maps app, I can find it.

If I TAP the address from my contacts list, (or use Siri to find it from my contacts list) - it can't find it.

Chris

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro