anybody use any of these apps. wondering why sometimes when you restart the app if your not hearing anything it picks back up the signal. how does this app work?
    01-03-2012 12:22 AM
    Yea I use them they work just by streaming live feeds off the Internet so the delay u get is prob just the app buffering up data
    01-03-2012 12:26 AM
    Yes well sometimes I hear nothing for 20 mins then I restart the app and they come right back on. Why does it do that? Also which police scanner app do you use and how do you get any area or town you want? The one I have seems to restrict me to only places around me not my specific town
    01-03-2012 12:35 AM
    Yes well sometimes I hear nothing for 20 mins then I restart the app and they come right back on. Why does it do that? Also which police scanner app do you use and how do you get any area or town you want? The one I have seems to restrict me to only places around me not my specific town
    I use 5-0 radio pro I have never had a issue with the feed cutting out with it u can search by state then city with that app As far as the app u use not hearing nothing till u restart it my guess is the app must have a time limit or it's just bugged what app u been using ?
    01-03-2012 12:46 AM
    Same one 5-0 raido pro. I hear the station is still on but nobody comes on. Then when I open the app and press stop and play sometimes they ark Talkig when it comes back on like I was missing something. Can you get an feed or town you want or you only limited to the ones they offer? I want my town and city but it's not on the feed. How do I get that?
    01-03-2012 12:50 AM
    Unless they have live Internet feed you won't
    01-03-2012 01:00 AM
    Why would police like to have live feeds so people can hear them?
    01-03-2012 01:04 AM
    Well the police work for the public and a lot of people in the public like to know what are officers are doing I'm sure the police would rather not have us listening in but unfortunately for them they are public employees they have so much code talk the average person isn't gonna know what the heck there doing anyway
    01-03-2012 01:17 AM
    And not all dept. have live feeds I find I'm my area only the biggest dept. Even have live feeds
    01-03-2012 01:18 AM
    Or people who have scanners and the police codes listen and broadcast it for everyone

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    01-03-2012 03:20 AM
    @Uselessbass, the feeds are almost certainly not hosted by the local department that you are listening to. The misconception that Police/Fire/EMS/DPW are employees of the public is false. They are employees of a public company, the municipality that they work in (known as Geographical Area of Employment). Not the general public that lives there. Yes, local governments are public corporations; and yes, taxes pay for their services, but I'll guarantee that their paychecks aren't footnoted "This note was provided by John Q. D-bag who PAYS YOUR SALARY, MISTER!"

If a department is using an analog and unencrypted signal, anyone with a standard scanner or receiver that can find that frequency can listen in; digital public safety channels are newer, more secure, and more expensive to put in place and the handheld radios are usually $5,000+ each, so it's just more cost effective to use the older technologies.

As far as Internet streams of these transmissions, alot of states not only frown upon listening in, but it can aggravate a minor offense into a crime, if not be a crime on its own. In NY, just listening to a public safety broadcast while in a vehicle is a Misdemeanor.

The reason behind 10- and other codes is twofold. First, there are alot of people using one channel to communicate. Codes and other shortcuts to communication keeps the message succinct and standard so everyone can use the air and understand easily. Second, the information is sometimes sensitive, and even before HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) of 1996 giving out private information about an individual where it shouldn't be (radio waves, elevators, cafeterias) was kept to a minimum. Remember those signs in hospitals that said "Please don't discuss patient information in public areas"?

So take my information for what it is, information. I'm not condemning listening to public safety transmissions... but using it wrongly could come back to haunt you. Your phone has it's own static IP, MAC address, cellular identifier, and phone number that is all logged. It doesn't take a search warrant to get this information, just a phone call from a police department and a reasonable cause to obtain that information. Phone companies are always cooperative to give this information, because of the terms of service you agreed to when you activated your shiny new toy.
    Last edited by SayntJ; 01-03-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    01-03-2012 11:13 AM
    The feed from 5-0 Radio is from www.radioreference.com, that app is really just a "Skin" over a streaming app. You can access the same feeds with any Internet radio app such as Tune-In Radio, Pandora or go to the radioreference site. The feeds on radioreference are from people who have scanners and they share their feed with radioreference so we could get it from them. The delay is a buffer for smother transmission.
    01-03-2012 12:18 PM
    @Uselessbass, the feeds are almost certainly not hosted by the local department that you are listening to. The misconception that Police/Fire/EMS/DPW are employees of the public is false. They are employees of a public company, the municipality that they work in (known as Geographical Area of Employment). Not the general public that lives there. Yes, local governments are public corporations; and yes, taxes pay for their services, but I'll guarantee that their paychecks aren't footnoted "This note was provided by John Q. D-bag who PAYS YOUR SALARY, MISTER!"

If a department is using an analog and unencrypted signal, anyone with a standard scanner or receiver that can find that frequency can listen in; digital public safety channels are newer, more secure, and more expensive to put in place and the handheld radios are usually $5,000+ each, so it's just more cost effective to use the older technologies.

As far as Internet streams of these transmissions, alot of states not only frown upon listening in, but it can aggravate a minor offense into a crime, if not be a crime on its own. In NY, just listening to a public safety broadcast while in a vehicle is a Misdemeanor.

The reason behind 10- and other codes is twofold. First, there are alot of people using one channel to communicate. Codes and other shortcuts to communication keeps the message succinct and standard so everyone can use the air and understand easily. Second, the information is sometimes sensitive, and even before HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) of 1996 giving out private information about an individual where it shouldn't be (radio waves, elevators, cafeterias) was kept to a minimum. Remember those signs in hospitals that said "Please don't discuss patient information in public areas"?

So take my information for what it is, information. I'm not condemning listening to public safety transmissions... but using it wrongly could come back to haunt you. Your phone has it's own static IP, MAC address, cellular identifier, and phone number that is all logged. It doesn't take a search warrant to get this information, just a phone call from a police department and a reasonable cause to obtain that information. Phone companies are always cooperative to give this information, because of the terms of service you agreed to when you activated your shiny new toy.
    Hey dude never did I specifically say they where feeds directly from police stations I was trying to help out the guy who started the thread I'd rather not argue on a forum about public employees the money comes from the public as all state and county employees if there where no public there would not be funding or needs for there services there are people that constantly monitor what police and ems services do and in my state there is no law against scanners they are here to protect and serve period we put them there we decide funding we the people are the ones this isn't a communist country yet
    01-03-2012 01:59 PM
    Sorry if u took it that way, it wasn't meant to be inflammatory, just as information... As I stated in my last paragraph.
    01-03-2012 06:29 PM
    It's all good man
    01-03-2012 08:47 PM
    ...Cool bro
    01-03-2012 08:57 PM
    So how come listening to stations sometimes you go 25 mins without hearing a thing and once I restart the scanner all the voices come back on?
    01-04-2012 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD