Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
DataVault Password Manager by Ascendo
Price (at time of this review):
iPhone/iPad - $9.99
Desktop (PC/Mac): $9.99
*Apps are available in the Mac App Store and iTunes

Having been an avid BlackBerry user for years, when I made the switch to iPhone, I really missed some of the native BlackBerry apps. I used the Password Keeper app for BlackBerry all the time. I would store credit card numbers I used for online purchases, logins, passwords and registration numbers. If a document had important, and personal, information I wanted to keep with me, it went into Password Keeper.

Once I took the plunge and bought an iPhone (for the record, I?m an avid user and I won?t be going back), I was really upset their wasn?t a native password app. I looked around online and did some research but came up with only a few options (nothing that really hooked me. I then headed to the TiPB forums for some added input. Thanks to a few great members, I was recommended the DataVault application. DataVault is a standalone iPhone or desktop application.

If you were a previous BlackBerry user, like myself, this is the perfect app to smooth your transition! The app and software have encryption and password protection to keep your private information private. There are a variety of pre-made templates that you can use (just enter in the necessary information) or you can simply create your own. Your passwords can be listed in either ?Tree? or ?List? mode. Tree is a folder-like system that organizes your files into folders based on their category. List mode, what I prefer, allows you to see a straight list of all your passwords by title.

As I had previously mentioned, there is also a desktop component to DataVault sold separately. I didn?t think I would use it as much as I do, but I was wrong. The desktop application syncs with the iPhone app to keep everything updated. Another nice feature is the copy option. Say you are making an online purchase and need your credit card number. You can simply click the copy button then paste the number directly into the order form. I am a huge bookworm and love being able to copy my library card number into the field when I log on. It?s a huge time saver!

Wrapping up, if you are looking for a solid and well made password keeper - look no further. The $9.99 price tag might turn a few people off but I can assure you it?s money well spent! Ascendo has created a great product and I highly recommend!!

Please let me know if you have any questions, I?m happy to answer them!!

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
:p I know, i dug up an ooooooold thread from the boneyrad LOL.

iLive, thanks for this review:) I currently use "Keeper" (free version) but it doesnt back up when i sync with iCLoud or usb with iTunes - it has its own sync cloud vault but i'm just not feeling it lol. With DataVault in the most recent update i see that they've added it to include with iCloud when you perform a back up. THIS is one thing i definately liked about it - i'm still reading up on it. Yes it has a $9.99 price tag, so does Keeper to have backup/sync options, but at least with DataVault it will back up with iCloud (i wanted to stay native as far as this option goes)

So, from what i'm reading so far, this looks like an app i will be dwling soon to replace "Keeper"

(ps-i'm glad when i did my app search here i came across this thread:) )

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
DataVault is worth every penny, in my opinion. I keep a DataVault backup on my iPhone, MacBook and DropBox. I don't have the iCloud option enabled within the app. Restoring a backup is as easy as connecting my device(s) to my MacBook and then dragging & dropping the backup file onto the DataVault drive using iTunes. From there, I simply select restore from within the DataVault app. It's a piece of cake. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Glad you found this useful, Pink!! I don't know how much you use your desktop computer, but I love the iMac version and use it constantly. I keep all of my login information in DataVault plus one credit card number (that way if I need to order something online, I don't have to go get my wallet). I frequently borrow Kindle books from the library and it's a breeze to copy and paste your login credentials onto the library's website.

DataVault really is a awesome password solution!

PS - I'm with you, I like to use Apple solutions (i.e. iCloud) as much as possible!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Glad you found this useful, Pink!! I don't know how much you use your desktop computer, but I love the iMac version and use it constantly. I keep all of my login information in DataVault plus one credit card number (that way if I need to order something online, I don't have to go get my wallet). I frequently borrow Kindle books from the library and it's a breeze to copy and paste your login credentials onto the library's website.

DataVault really is a awesome password solution!

PS - I'm with you, I like to use Apple solutions (i.e. iCloud) as much as possible!

I use DataVault for more than just passwords. I mean, I use it to store model & serial numbers for my electronic devices, the tag, VIN & decal numbers for my vehicles, login information, as well as certain personal information among other things. I love that app. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:
Reactions: iLive an iLife

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I use DataVault for more than just password. I mean, I use it to store model & serial numbers for my electronic devices, the tag, VIN & decal numbers for my vehicles, login information, as well as certain personal information among other things. I love that app. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

I never thought about storing serial numbers in DataVault - that's brilliant!! I am constantly trying to hunt for serial numbers after the fact. I'm going to definitely add a section and start keeping them in there as well! Thanks for the tip JustMe'D!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
And don't forget, with DataVault you have instant support right here. Just as easy to DM me here as send an email to support. ;)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I never thought about storing serial numbers in DataVault - that's brilliant!! I am constantly trying to hunt for serial numbers after the fact. I'm going to definitely add a section and start keeping them in there as well! Thanks for the tip JustMe'D!

You're very welcome ;) Have a safe and pleasant day.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
SO, today I FINALLY purchased DataVault. Omg, idk why I waited so long. No, actually I do lol. Because I knew I'd spend a few hours configuring all my user names, pw etc into it. Any way, I'm so glad I did invest in this for sure. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how organized this is by category, file type and icons to represent the category:) this app is def worth the money, PLUS iCloud back ups. I'm on it:D

:eek: I'm still adding my stuff in! lol!

---------- Post Merged at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:42 PM ----------

SO, today I FINALLY purchased DataVault. Omg, idk why I waited so long. No, actually I do lol. Because I knew I'd spend a few hours configuring all my user names, pw etc into it. Any way, I'm so glad I did invest in this for sure. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how organized this is by category, file type and icons to represent the category:) this app is def worth the money, PLUS iCloud back ups. I'm on it:D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

---------- Post Merged at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:42 PM ----------

The newest version of DataVault is definitely the best. I love the ease in which it backs up to iCloud, Dropbox and locally. After a restore as new, importing the data back into the app is a snap. It is definitely worth the money and as I've stated in previous threads, I keep "everything" in that app. Login passwords, insurance information, my families' SSNs, vehicle data, serial numbers. You name it. I customize it to accept the information in the manner I want it to be presented when I look it up. I love the DataVault app and I use it daily. I make sure to create complex passwords for website logins. It's not like I have to remember them. Heck, I just look it up and then enter it and I don't see it as a convenience, especially when safety of my information is paramount. Anyway, congratulations on purchasing it, Pink. :)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The newest version of DataVault is definitely the best. I love the ease in which it backs up to iCloud, Dropbox and locally. After a restore as new, importing the data back into the app is a snap. It is definitely worth the money and as I've stated in previous threads, I keep "everything" in that app. Login passwords, insurance information, my families' SSNs, vehicle data, serial numbers. You name it. I customize it to accept the information in the manner I want it to be presented when I look it up. I love the DataVault app and I use it daily. I make sure to create complex passwords for website logins. It's not like I have to remember them. Heck, I just look it up and then enter it and I don't see it as a convenience, especially when safety of my information is paramount. Anyway, congratulations on purchasing it, Pink. :)

Thank you D!! Well, idt I'll be adding in as much stuff as you did, but I have a good bit to go still. I *think* I'm getting down to the wire now.....

I've gotta say, one of the features I really love is how organized it is indeed, and of course, the iCloud integration!

Matthew Nichols1

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to incorporate a Scan function into DataVault? I scan documents into Quicken and would like to scan credit cards, warranty info etc along with make/model/serial nos. into DataVault .

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Is it possible to incorporate a Scan function into DataVault? I scan documents into Quicken and would like to scan credit cards, warranty info etc along with make/model/serial nos. into DataVault .

As a matter of fact, our engineers are beginning work on DataVault 5 this month, and that is one of the first new features being added. :D

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was fortunate to be offered DataVault for my iPhone as well as the Desktop and it was just what I was looking for even though I had an App Password Keeper for free. As good as it is once I learned DataVault and I backup to Dropbox I love it. Ty for turning me on to this wonderful App. and now I tell everyone about it who asks which is the best Password App. All because I started a thread about it a long time ago asking what everyone uses. This was the overwhelming choice. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods