I've been getting an annoying message in the app store when trying to post a review for an item that I own:

You must own this item to write a Customer Review.

In order to write a Customer Review for this item you must have purchased or downloaded it first
    OK

Can anyone offer any suggestions for resolving this?

Note, I briefly searched the forums, but was not able to find this topic.
    12-04-2011 12:56 PM
    Never happened to me. You synced?
    12-04-2011 01:08 PM
    If you got the app as a gift or promo code, you are likely to get that error until the next version is released.
    12-04-2011 01:10 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm synced with iTunes on my PC.

I purchased the app.

Also, it only happens on some apps, not all. I can post reviews for some of the apps that I own, but for some, when I try to post a review, I get this error.

I have three IOS devices:
    1) iPod touch first generation (circa 2009)
    2) iPad2
    3) iPhone 4s (Sprint)

I run iTunes on Windows 7 Professional
    Last edited by RJKinsman; 12-04-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    12-04-2011 01:12 PM
    Was it purchased with the account entered on your phone? It wasn't synced via Home Sharing from a relative/spouse's iTunes account?
    12-04-2011 02:14 PM
    Was it purchased with the account entered on your phone? It wasn't synced via Home Sharing from a relative/spouse's iTunes account?
    No, same account on all devices. I originally purchased it using my iPhone. Is it even possible to use switch between apple accounts on an iPhone?
    Last edited by RJKinsman; 12-04-2011 at 03:22 PM.
    12-04-2011 03:20 PM
    Yup. You can sign in and out and in to multiple accounts at any time.
    12-04-2011 04:33 PM
    Yup. You can sign in and out and in to multiple accounts at any time.
    OK, well, nice to know. But that's not what was going on here.

Here's a screen shot of the error.

Attachment 12238

Oh, the screen shot was off my iPad. I got the same error on my iPhone and my iPad.

It was simple. I launch the app store app, find the app I want to review. The button says "INSTALLED"

I compose my review and tap submit. The error pops up.

Well, apparently it's something unusual, since it appears that so far, no one has seen anything like it before.
    12-04-2011 06:05 PM
    I had that once. Even though it installed on both my iPhone and iPad, I hadn't done a sync to iTunes since installing, so iTunes (for some strange reason) thought it was not installed. Try doing a sync and then try to do the review.
    12-04-2011 09:08 PM
    Wonder if it has something to do with the tricky apple id thing. I remember having set up one with an email too to try to fix the iCloud problem (didn't work).
    12-30-2011 01:22 AM
    I think that's it. Error stopped when i signed in with the other id.
    12-30-2011 01:26 AM
    I'm only using one Apple ID.

I was finally able to post the review using iTunes on my PC under Windows 7.

Go figure.
    12-30-2011 12:13 PM
    Hi,

I get this error fairly often on a small number of my apps. (In my case, Cisco WebEx and Zomato - both free apps). I've tried logging out/in to the store and messing around with my AppleID but have never solved it.
    11-29-2016 11:40 PM
    Old thread, but same thing has happened to me several times over the last couple months. Thankfully, the message pops up before I am given the screen to write a review.

I haven't figured it out yet, but I believe family share has something to do with it.
    09-07-2017 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD