Your favorite navagation app?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering what kind of gps navagation apps you guys use. Ill tell you I use the vz navagation app I think it's through Verizon and it is absolutely amazing. It could be better than the navagations that comes in cars these days. What do you guys use?

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Wife has Garmin built into her Jeep.. i got the NAVV USA app (lucky enough to get it free) and I like it. Works well, has good options and features.. no complaints so far. I have not used it on a long trip yet (only short tests)
Tomorrow I am taking a little longer trip - but I know the way so I will test to see if the app picks the same route i would (the easiest/fastest)

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I used to use MapQuest which was free and had voice turn by turn nav built in but have since switched to Waze. It's free also and has voice turn by turn built into it. I don't use Nav apps that often so I would rather not spend money needlessly for one of the paid apps. The free ones have been fine IMO.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Navigon is my preferred app. I've also used TomTom's - which was recently update to also be iPad friendly now... but it still reminds me of Windows 3.1 - Garmin's app is not as good as their stand-alone Nuvis... search the forum here for additional threads with commentary on this subject.

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I use Waze also... its free, voice turn by turn, re-calculates if you go off course and it also is a social network where people input traffic problems or accidents so if there is an accident on your course, a message will pop up telling you about it.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Navigon. Though it sounds like we'll get some more fees from them.

Navigon, Garmin Unveil New Smartphone GPS Apps | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Navigon is also revamping its map update system, offering a one-time subscription fee for free quarterly updates. Before, Navigon had only updated its NAVTEQ maps twice over the course of eight version updates, thanks to licensing fees.

I'm ok with it if it means more frequently updated maps. I like having maps on device and you'll be able to choose which areas or states you want to download.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the free Waze & MapQuest apps locally just to see how they do with routes I'm familiar with. Some observations:

? Waze has the better screen. The fonts are larger, it gives traffic alerts & ETA. MapQuest doesn't work in landscape mode.

? MapQuest is faster & better at recalculating a route. Waze seems to want to stick to their original route and tries to force you back to that despite a better alternative.

I'm going to continue testing both apps, but right now if I were to drive somewhere I knew nothing about, I'd trust MapQuest to do a better job of actually getting me to my destination with the least fuss.

One thing I'm still wondering about is how these GPS/nav apps work in areas with spotty cell coverage. My 2.5 yr. old TomTom will sometimes lose the satellite in downtown SF or deep canyons, but not when I'm way out in the boonies. I don't think I'll buy a new dedicated GPS device, but I'm also going to keep the TomTom in the car just in case.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Navigon is also revamping its map update system, offering a one-time subscription fee for free quarterly updates. Before, Navigon had only updated its NAVTEQ maps twice over the course of eight version updates, thanks to licensing fees.

That's the same model Garmin uses for their PNDs... coincidence? Garmin owns Navigon now... :)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
That's the same model Garmin uses for their PNDs... coincidence? Garmin owns Navigon now... :)

I can't blame them for looking for a revenue stream though. If the quality of the app remains intact, i'll be glad to support them. The cost is still low considering this app is shared on all our family devices.

larsonage

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I used Navigon but it had trouble recalculating directions when I missed a turn. Did anyone else experience this? Other than that it's a pretty solid app. Waze is an excellent free navigation app but it kills my battery.

T Mac

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Tom Tom. It uses no data. The entire app stores to your phone. Great for limited data plans. Works very well also. Other apps use way too much data. It's not free though.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Still trying to decide between TomTom and Navigon. I think TomTom has a slight edge but that could just be because I started out with it and I'm more familiar with it.

so is the VZ navagtor one only through verizon?
It's the only one offered by Verizon (they don't have multiple nav apps of their own) but not the only one you can use on the VZW iPhones. The apps don't care who your carrier is.

Tom Tom maps are stored on device application works great no data connection required
Not for maps but for data features (Google search, traffic, etc) data is obviously required.

One thing I'm still wondering about is how these GPS/nav apps work in areas with spotty cell coverage. My 2.5 yr. old TomTom will sometimes lose the satellite in downtown SF or deep canyons, but not when I'm way out in the boonies. I don't think I'll buy a new dedicated GPS device, but I'm also going to keep the TomTom in the car just in case.
First, it's important to understand the distinction between the GPS receiver (hardware) and GPS app (software). The receiver doesn't need cell coverage, just signal from the GPS satellites. That's why you lose satellite in the city and not in the boonies. Some apps require data. Some apps do not. If you wander into an area with no coverage using an app that requires data for maps then you'll lose maps at some point. The app may cache part or all of your trip, depending on the app. Some apps that require data cannot calculate a route without data and that can be a problem if you're in an ara with no coverage.

This applies to all smartphones out there -- not just the iPhone.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
First, it's important to understand the distinction between the GPS receiver (hardware) and GPS app (software). The receiver doesn't need cell coverage, just signal from the GPS satellites. That's why you lose satellite in the city and not in the boonies. Some apps require data. Some apps do not. If you wander into an area with no coverage using an app that requires data for maps then you'll lose maps at some point. The app may cache part or all of your trip, depending on the app. Some apps that require data cannot calculate a route without data and that can be a problem if you're in an ara with no coverage. This applies to all smartphones out there -- not just the iPhone.

The thing about the GPS at least in the Verizon iPhone4 (they may all be this way...) - is if you put the phone in airplane mode, the app won't matter - the GPS receiver will not work in Airplane mode (I've experimented...) - but if you have spotty cell coverage, the GPS should still work... as long as the app's map needs are on the device. It is possible to supplement your iPhone's GPS capabilities with a Bluetooth GPS receiver (they sell them here in the TiPB Store... or you can go to Amazon and get a BadElf...)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh