I've been searching the forums for the answer to this - extreme forgiveness if this has been asked and answered before.

I currently have both an iPhone 4 and iPad 1 - and I use the same iTunes account to manage both devices.

I have different application sets installed on each one - but it seems as though each time I sync with iTunes I get apps from one device loaded on the other even though I've actively deleted them from the other device.

Is there an easy way to manage multiple app loads without having separate iTunes accounts (and keep iTunes from thinking that you want all "universal" (aka non-hardware-specific) apps on both devices all the time? For some apps, I like being able to purchase an app one time and get it on both devices - but not all of them.

Added info - I have upgraded to iOS 5 on both devices.
    10-18-2011 10:49 AM
    I've been searching the forums for the answer to this - extreme forgiveness if this has been asked and answered before.

I currently have both an iPhone 4 and iPad 1 - and I use the same iTunes account to manage both devices.

I have different application sets installed on each one - but it seems as though each time I sync with iTunes I get apps from one device loaded on the other even though I've actively deleted them from the other device.

Is there an easy way to manage multiple app loads without having separate iTunes accounts (and keep iTunes from thinking that you want all "universal" (aka non-hardware-specific) apps on both devices all the time? For some apps, I like being able to purchase an app one time and get it on both devices - but not all of them.

Added info - I have upgraded to iOS 5 on both devices.
    Connect your device to iTunes and go to the Apps tab in the device section. There you can restrict which apps get installed on which device. Do that for each device to resolve your issue. It's a bit of a pain, but IMHO, well worth the time it takes to do it.
    10-18-2011 10:55 AM
    Thanks, Fausty82 - that's what I've been trying to do (deleting undesired apps in the Apps tab when each specific device is connected), but it seems as though they come back for some reason.

I'm hoping this will be a non-issue with iOS5 and using iCloud for device backup - but it would still be good to know what causes this and the resolution in case it's needed.
    10-18-2011 11:23 AM
    Thanks, Fausty82 - that's what I've been trying to do (deleting undesired apps in the Apps tab when each specific device is connected), but it seems as though they come back for some reason.

I'm hoping this will be a non-issue with iOS5 and using iCloud for device backup - but it would still be good to know what causes this and the resolution in case it's needed.
    Rather than just deleting the unwanted apps from your device, go to the iTunes device page, Apps tab and uncheck the ones that you don't want on that device. It will keep them from coming back.
    GPD1739A likes this.
    10-18-2011 11:35 AM
    Thanks - I'll check that tonight! (I've been deleting them from the iTunes App page previously, not from the actual device.)
    10-18-2011 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD