Garmin Releases New 'Onboard' Turn-By-Turn GPS Apps for iOS - Mac Rumors

Good news for those who prefer full maps on their device rather than "in the cloud".
    08-02-2011 10:21 AM
    Not a bad price either. For now I will still stick with Mapquest which is free with voice turn by turn. It works pretty well and I don't use it all that much anyways.
    08-02-2011 12:20 PM
    I'm definitely going to consider buying this. I LOVED my Garmin before it got stolen, and have been debating whether to find an app for my iPhone or buying another standalone GPS.

With the cheaper price of the app, I may just go with that if I can find a decent mount for my phone.
    08-02-2011 11:07 PM
    Is this eventually taking over navigons place? Some of the pics look similar. Has it adopted the features of navigon? Looking to grab a gps app soon just up in air over this and navigon
    08-07-2011 09:37 PM
    Looking to grab a gps app soon just up in air over this and navigon
    Go with Navigon... if Garmin does anything, they'll pick-up from Navigon for their iOS app.
    08-07-2011 09:49 PM
    If I get this app, can I download additional maps/extras after I get the app?

For work, we download specific points on the map that works on the gps units but was curious if would work for the app. thanks!
    09-04-2011 03:58 PM
    If I get this app, can I download additional maps/extras after I get the app?

For work, we download specific points on the map that works on the gps units but was curious if would work for the app. thanks!
    For extras, you can get traffic & a fuel price database access... and if you're talking customized POIs - no, none of Garmin's apps are capable of dealing with custom POIs presently - I've heard custom POIs can be used with CoPilot, but I don't believe it's an easy thing to do. About all you can do is add your specific points into the phone apps as "favorites".
    09-04-2011 04:08 PM
    For extras, you can get traffic & a fuel price database access... and if you're talking customized POIs - no, none of Garmin's apps are capable of dealing with custom POIs presently - I've heard custom POIs can be used with CoPilot, but I don't believe it's an easy thing to do. About all you can do is add your specific points into the phone apps as "favorites".
    Thanks, that answer helps a lot! Now, this might be me asking a dumb question...but if my boss gives me the POI download, can I upload it to the online mygarmin site and it syncs with the app? Wasn't sure if app is that sophisticated or if its even a garmin thing.
    09-04-2011 04:16 PM
    If you're using a stand-alone garmin you need to use the garmin POI Loader program to put the custom POI file on the device.
    09-04-2011 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD