Looking for an APP that I can use offline that will give some basic map information. Similar to something like Microsoft Streets and Trips.

Again, this needs to be available OFFLINE. So if I'm trying to determine where Podunk, Nevada is and where is its relation to Las Vegas I can search for that city and then zoom in/out to determine where it is in relation to everything else.

Would be great if it handled the World as well as just the US.

For example, where is Montego Bay, Jamaica? Oh, I see.....

Thanks!
    06-10-2011 12:26 PM
    Try searching the forums for "gps" or "navigation" and you'll find lots of choices. Very few of the nav apps available for iPhone require you to be connected to anything but a satellite. My favorite is still TomTom.
    06-10-2011 05:18 PM
    I've been looking into this as well...planning a trip to Canada next month and am hoping to find a way to use Maps without running up data charges. It's difficult to get a clear answer about exactly what requires what to work.

For example: if I want to use GPS and the native Maps app, do I need to have a cell signal? If not, can I turn off Data Roaming and Cellular Data once I reach the Canadian border and still be able to use Maps?
    06-10-2011 07:16 PM
    For example: if I want to use GPS and the native Maps app, do I need to have a cell signal?
    With a 3G iPad, Yes. Or wifi... and with a wifi only iPad, you would need a GPS dongle, or bluetooth GPS device to get location data into the iPad.

If not, can I turn off Data Roaming and Cellular Data once I reach the Canadian border and still be able to use Maps?
    If you do that, the only way you would be able to use maps is via wifi if you can get a signal.

All you need is an app that loads a full map to the device - and several of the navigation/GPS apps in the app store do that... Navigon is one... CoPilot is another - both of those have North America versions
    06-10-2011 08:16 PM
    Cool, thanks. This has been our one big data question for the trip. One more question: will Navigon or another app will I be able to use gps with cellular data turned off? Or just be able to see the map?
    06-10-2011 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD