Question about getting new iPhone and existing apps

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I have an iPhone 4 (this was my very first iPhone) and am looking forward to getting the new iPhone 5 whenever it comes out (I can't upgrade for another year so I am not in any rush right now), but had a question about all the apps that I have paid for that are on my current phone.

I know when I update the OS (and I can't wait to get iOS5) nothing happens to my apps, but when I get a brand new phone will I have to pay for the apps again?

Thanks, Robin

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Nope. In fact, I had the first gen iphone then went to blackberry for 2 years before going to the iphone 4 - when I synced that new iphone 4 I got all the old apps from my first iphone loaded onto it. Frankly, I had forgotten that I had them.

Osumailguy

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
.. in addition, with the purchase history in the App Store now, it will be easy to know what you have had in the past, but don't currently have on your iPhone!

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
AStranger is right. All you will do is transfer all your apps. No paying a second time. Can't wait for OS5 too. It sounds very exciting.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The key is to keep/use the same iTunes account... you buy apps via your iTunes account, so as long as that never changes, the apps will be there/available.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
But, correct me if I'm wrong, when you reinstall the apps in the new phone your data will not transfer with many of them? I recently purchased an iPad and all the apps from my iPhone transferred over, but many apps which stored data on the iPhone such as SplashID (not desktop synched) and list/reminder type apps, BugMe- many, many apps didn't bring their data with them. Which makes sense, really.

Sketso

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Check some apps though, and make sure they don't need to be saved via email/password, etc. if you want to save your progress, etc. Some maintain data through gamecenter, but many tie only store info on your current phone, but offer back up through email/password combo, FB sync, etc.

306Designs

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Does the same work between iPad and iPhone? Will the iPhone recognize games that are compatible for it and download them and neglect the ones that are iPad only?

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
But, correct me if I'm wrong, when you reinstall the apps in the new phone your data will not transfer with many of them? I recently purchased an iPad and all the apps from my iPhone transferred over, but many apps which stored data on the iPhone such as SplashID (not desktop synched) and list/reminder type apps, BugMe- many, many apps didn't bring their data with them. Which makes sense, really.

This is because you were downloading to a different device. If you're transferring from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 and restore from backup, everything will be there and exactly the same.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2