Hi everyone

I guess everyone knows the most successful app on the App Store. It's Angry Birds, of course I was always wondered what's their secret? What do you, guys, think?
    06-01-2011 01:38 PM
    My opinion;

It is a simple game that can be played a multiple ways; You can just play for fun and kill all the pigs, or you can play with strategy to try and 3 star all the levels, etc. Its simple, yet addictive.

Also, it appeals to broad group; Kids, Adults, etc. Its fun and addicting, and easy to pick up and play. Not complicated, pull back on the slingshot and kill the pigs, over, and over, and over again.

Plus, constant app updates, with Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons, and Angry Birds Rio gives new levels etc to keep people playing.'

Rovio took a simple concept, and capitalized on it.
    06-01-2011 01:52 PM
    addictive, with "angry heroes" (adults do not want nice heroes), and so simple.
    06-02-2011 07:27 AM
    All of the above, then...

marketing.

Everywhere you go, there's Angry Birds mugs, t-shirts, stickers, posters, trailers, in-game adds (it goes on and on and on and...) It's a job well done, on all accounts.
    06-02-2011 09:48 AM
    It keeps players busy with new challenges and also it makes you addicted as you go ahead with it.
    06-03-2011 05:59 AM
    It's addictive.
    06-03-2011 08:59 AM
    Very very addictive. People talk about it.
    06-03-2011 10:24 AM
    marketing.

and it was there in the early days of the AppStore. I personally decided to buy it because I heard it was addictive...and it was on sale at the time for 99 cents...annnd it beat out doodle jump for the #1 spot.
    06-03-2011 11:25 AM
    time was earlier.
    marketing.
    easy and quick pick up
    06-04-2011 12:29 PM
    I think it's the simple game mechanic (slingshot), cute characters, simple goal (defeating pigs), and word of mouth advertising that made it so successful. The strategy and 3 star achievement addicting aspect of it definitely made it worth playing repeatedly for those goal minded individuals out there.

In the end, it's about the emotional connection that the game makes with the audience. Cute little angry birds are great sellers no matter what the medium. Angry Birds took simple, novel ideas which together made a great novel game that I still pick up and play to this day.

This game inspires me in the games that I want to make (and the new one I just made).

RosePear Studio
    ("Rock Sliders" for iPhone)
    06-11-2011 08:53 AM
    Completely marketing. They weren't the first to come up with the idea, it was great marketing and hype that helps it to stay at the top of the charts
    06-11-2011 01:35 PM
    Its simple and polished till perfection, also they had a big budget to promote the app "which most developers dont have".
    06-12-2011 03:00 PM
    all of above, especially easy to play
    06-15-2011 11:57 PM
    Yes easy but not too much simple, is actually a perfect balancing in gameplay and design.

I love it (Rio even more!) ;-)
    06-16-2011 09:19 AM
    Addictive! Very easy to play. I like this game!
    06-17-2011 03:40 AM
    More it's easy, more it pleases to people. Simplest is the best.
    06-23-2011 07:01 PM
    Angry Birds has it the perfect combinations of elements.

The concept: Sling shot, knock stuff down is easy to grasp, hard to master.
    The name: My game OmniBlaster ($0.99 in the app-store: OmniBlaster for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store) doesn't have a really cool name like "Angry Birds" The name itself is catchy and makes you wonder while the birds are mad.
    The Music and Sfx: These two elements add a major cute and fun factor to the game.
    The Story: Its a simple cute story make any one from 3 to 90 want to play and help the birds.
    Repeatable game play: with the seemingly infinite levels and themes, the game stays fresh and challeging.
    Artwork: The art for the birds and pigs is perfect. You get the feeling of evil snotty pigs that must die die die from the green troll faced pigs, and you sympathize with the clearly angry birds.

Its a win on all levels.
    06-24-2011 05:45 PM
    My experience shows that there are two components that makes the game successful: good product (idea, design, implementation) + marketing. Unfortunately, there are still many "undiscovered jewels" hanging up in app store due to bad or no marketing. "Angry Birds" is one of those "jewels" found by mainstream audience.

However, bad product never stays up for long no matter how good the marketing is...
    06-25-2011 07:16 PM
    It is successful because it is a fun game to play and the concept is simple enough anyone can play it and understand it.

Matt R
    06-25-2011 07:29 PM
    It's a game where you have full control, until you let go, at which point you can only sit back and watch the birds fly and the buildings fall. Add to that, you can instantly start the map over (which also makes games like Super Meat Boy and Trials HD on XBox Live just as addictive).

It's a game that doesn't start very hardcore, but then slowly ramps up in difficulty. Once that happens, the player tends to be fully sucked in. Unlike games like Canabalt, where you have to start completely over each run.
    06-25-2011 07:38 PM
    Actually, not only do you download free game Angry Birds Rio today on Amazon Android App Store, but also get many other freebies. I guess Amazon Android App Store will drive lots of loyal visitors since they can download their favorite paid applications each day without any charge or with a huge discount. Probably, some bloggers/sites will cover story about the free or cheap Amazon offer in the very near future .

"To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."
    07-02-2011 06:59 AM
    Combination of factors:

1) Accessible
    2) Early on the app store
    3) Sustained with with amazing marketing campaign
    07-05-2011 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD