I'm looking at getting navigon for my new iPhone 4 ..... Any body care to recommend it or not. Thanks!
    05-22-2011 10:06 AM
    The US version is getting good enough to be a suitable back-up for my Garmin Nuvi 765t.
    CherryDanish likes this.
    05-22-2011 10:10 AM
    I've never owned a GPS so I wouldn't now how to compare them. When I look online and compare the features. The navigon for the iPhone looks like a good value.
    05-22-2011 10:29 AM
    My experience is that my Nuvi is what smart phones & apps are dreaming of becoming... and they're starting to. Hinderances include battery life on phones, apps - full maps on the device vs cached and needing network to update... and that for folks like myself, there's the opinion that the jack of all trades is a master of none and it's better to have "several tools in the box" to do individual tasks well than one tool that's mediocre at several things.

That said, I do have and use Navigon... with their recent update, it's not bad. Not a total replacement for my Nuvi - it's a good back-up.
    05-22-2011 10:47 AM
    I got one of the regional ones when it went on sale for like $14. It's been very good for me. Both in my hometown and when traveling. Very accurate. I like how it downloads all the maps so it doesn't matter if you have a cell signal. The POI's could be better, but otherwise it's been top notch. I'd wait for sale of you can because they do them periodically.
    05-22-2011 02:09 PM
    Thanks for the info, I'm going for it. I figure my phone will be with me all the time and a GPS app would be a great tool in the "box"
    05-22-2011 08:40 PM
    I recommend iGo
    05-25-2011 06:50 PM
    Got the Navigon app and am very impressed with it. Not having a GPS before this, I can't compare it to anything. At $60 for US/Can I thought it was a bit steep at first, but after using for a couple of days and even putting it on my wife's iPhone I must say I think it's well worth the coins!
    05-25-2011 11:09 PM
    My experience is that my Nuvi is what smart phones & apps are dreaming of becoming... and they're starting to. Hinderances include battery life on phones, apps - full maps on the device vs cached and needing network to update... and that for folks like myself, there's the opinion that the jack of all trades is a master of none and it's better to have "several tools in the box" to do individual tasks well than one tool that's mediocre at several things.
    ...and I've used smartphone-based GPS solutions for about 20K miles of road trips. Granted, I haven't used any standalone GPS units to compare but I've still found my devices to be sufficient for my needs. I realize that I might appreciate the benefits of a standalone unit but I have never felt as if I was left wanting for more from my smartphones.

Battery life is easily addressed IMO since I'm in a vehicle with power available. The "full maps" point is a non-issue. There are options for locally stored maps, if desired. A major reason I acquired my first smartphone years ago was convergence. I'd rather not have to deal with yet another device, worrying about powering it, its accessories, etc. For me a smartphone-based solution works. YMMV, of course. Few things in this world are one-size-fits-all. Figure out your own priorities and determine your own preferences.

I do appreciate good tools in the areas that matter to me. We each have different preferences when it comes to deciding where and when we're willing to splurge.
    Last edited by briareus; 05-26-2011 at 07:51 PM.
    05-26-2011 07:39 PM
    I have Navigon and it rocks!
    05-26-2011 10:56 PM
    I have Navigon with all the in app purchases. I also have TomTom on my iPhone. I've been using TomTom every day because of the cleaner maps, but mainly for the on screen traffic sidebar. I don't like how Navigon addresses traffic on the map itself.
    05-27-2011 11:16 PM
    I reccomend iGo for iPhone navigation
    05-28-2011 05:29 AM
    Too expensive
    06-21-2011 03:00 PM
    What about T Wise pilot?
    06-21-2011 03:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD