Hi,

Do any of you know what navigation apps might be tied to address entries in one's calendar?

I miss this from Android, same for voice to text, and am looking for iPhone apps that may do the same.

TomTom's app says "Plan your upcoming trips and add them to your calendar. Your iPhone will give you departure reminders so you'll be aware of when you need to leave.". That does not read like selecting an address in your appointment and getting navigation to it - What Android does.

Thank you for any tips or advice on this.
    04-28-2011 09:34 PM
    iOS has so far only built in Google maps access. I'm sure as soon as they open this up to developers you'll be able to set your choice of nav app as the default from contacts and calendar.
    04-29-2011 07:13 AM
    iOS has so far only built in Google maps access. I'm sure as soon as they open this up to developers you'll be able to set your choice of nav app as the default from contacts and calendar.
    Hi,

Thank you. I'm sure I'll be sticking with my iPhone/Pad combo for one business app, but wow, the Apple integration of calendar, navigation and voice to text is way behind my other phone. Looking at navigation apps also yields some adding 1+ GB of data!

Thanks again.
    04-29-2011 10:40 AM
    Really? I don't use any data unless I'm using AT&T Navigation. TomTom resides on my device - no data. Certainly on Android you would have used a ton of data since you were using Googlemaps and downloading maps as you went.
    04-29-2011 05:21 PM
    Really? I don't use any data unless I'm using AT&T Navigation. TomTom resides on my device - no data. Certainly on Android you would have used a ton of data since you were using Googlemaps and downloading maps as you went.
    Hi,

I was speaking in terms of device storage. I have unlimited data with Verizon and have never used much unless I'm getting music, video or a disk image. Now that I have hotspot I have to watch my use for that or tethering.

I get that the products using storage on the device minimize OTA.

FWIW: I've been testing the free MapQuest against my Android. The MapQuest crashes often, is a battery burner (so is the iPhone) and it did not route as well in small areas.

I suppose a definitive navigation thread would be good. My searches didn't yield that much.

Thank you.
    04-29-2011 06:42 PM
    Certainly on Android you would have used a ton of data since you were using Googlemaps and downloading maps as you went.
    As popular as Google Maps Navigation is, it is not the only GPS nav app on Android. There are certainly options that store maps locally.

The MapQuest crashes often, is a battery burner (so is the iPhone) and it did not route as well in small areas.
    The apps aren't the battery burners. It's the GPS receiver. If you're using the receiver for any length of time you need to connect a suitable (e.g. as close to 1A/1000mA) charger. Battery usage isn't going to be worth comparing, really. Any app that uses the GPS receiver on any platform will chew through your battery.

My Blackberries would eat through their batteries when I used their GPS receivers. My Droid did as well.
    Last edited by briareus; 04-29-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    04-29-2011 08:51 PM
    My Blackberries would eat through their batteries when I used their GPS receivers. My Droid did as well.
    Yes to GPS (and WiFi), and the screen turned on. If I recall, the battery use utility on my last phone showed what a culprit the screen is.
    04-30-2011 08:13 AM
    I wish there were more integration between apps. Maybe some day.
    04-30-2011 09:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD