App Store no longer recognizing apps as being installed and searching issues

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
The app store seems to be having some major problems currently. It's been broken since yesterday. This has been reported in a bunch of threads over at the Apple support forums, but here's what I've noticed (on both my Ipad 2 and iPhone 3GS):

1. The app store isn't recognizing that apps are already installed. This is only in lists, if you go to the app's page in the app store it will show as installed, but when doing searches or browsing any of the category or top lists, the app shows as available for purchase or download.

2. Searching is not allowing you to to go to the next page of search results. This seems to occur if the search results contain an app you have installed. Also on the iPad, changing the "device" filter to "iPad" causes all the icons to disappear instead of filtering.

3. It's impossible to rate or review any installed app. This only applies to the iPad version of the app store as far as I can tell.

4. Actually the app page for any installed app, is pretty much broken. Not only can't you rate or review, but most of the other features such as switching between reviews of the current or all versions as well as changing the sorting of reviews doesn't work.

This has been reported in a handful of places, but I'm surprised none of the major blogs have picked it up yet.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar problem the other day, where I couldn't download a bunch of apps. Then for a few minutes the app store wouldn't load at all. Not too long after the problem went away on its own.

Have you tried logging out and logging back in, and rebooting the device?

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I haven't, but since a few people said the problem persisted after doing a complete restore of the iPad, I don't think logging out and in will help. The only "fix" so far has been to delete all apps off the iPad (or iPhone) which really isn't a fix. The problem occurs in all versions of iOS.

For what it's worth, it appears to be an issue with what client/server code Apple uses in the app store app to detect installed apps as those are the only ones that cause issues.

Case in point, i could sort reviews and click the rating stars for an app. I then installed it and went back to the store and it still worked until I exited that app's page and went back to it. Then I could no longer do so.

The problem isn't preventing me from buying, downloading or updating apps, but it does make finding apps a problem as you can only see the first 12 apps when searching no matter how many results are returned. For example I'm searching for a Flickr iPad app and see there's 136 apps, but I can't get past the first page (12 apps) because the arrows are grayed out.

I found a youTube video of someone showing the search bug:
YouTube - Ipad appstore bug

Also the fact that none of my installed apps show as such is confusing.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing. I have iBooks, iMovie and Apple Store installed, but only iBooks shows as being installed, and only on the top (which makes no sense since it's the same app). Only one installed app will ever show up in lists.

Photo%20Apr%2015%2C%207%2057%2034%20PM.jpg

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Just to be thorough I did just sign out of the app store and reboot my iPad 2. I then went back into the app store and searched for "photo sharing" without logging back in. I see 43 iPad results, but if I select show all, I can't get past the first page.

The app store app apparently still knows what apps you have installed regardless if you are logged in or not since I have Dropbox installed which would be returned in that search result.

I searched for "books" and could scroll so I'm not sure what the exact criteria is, but things are broken.

reputationZed

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I posted about being unable to write reviews or rate apps a bit earlier today. I hand't even noticed the problem with the app store not showing some of the apps I've purchased as installed until later tonight. The odd thing is that some apps do show as installed, such as Garage Band, and some such as Pages, Notes +, and Angry Birds show me a price even though they still all run on the iPad just fine. Another odd thing happened tonight while I was playing Real Racing 2 hd. A dialog popped up asking if I'd like to rate the app, after which I was able to rate the app and write a review. However I'm still not able to write reviews for apps I own by clicking the write review button. I'm not seeing any of these issues on my iPhone 4, just the iPad 2.

I found a thread or two on Apples support forum where a couple of people tried restoring their iPad to fix the issue but no one reported any success.

Morac

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
It suddenly started partially working for me. My installed apps are showing as installed everywhere except the search results and I can review and rate my installed apps. Searching is still screwed up, but everything else is working.

I guess they fixed are in the process of fixing it.

Last edited:

levanldl

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
1. The app store isn't recognizing that apps are already installed. This is only in lists, if you go to the app's page in the app store it will show as installed, but when doing searches or browsing any of the category or top lists, the app shows as available for purchase or download.

2. Searching is not allowing you to to go to the next page of search results. This seems to occur if the search results contain an app you have installed. Also on the iPad, changing the "device" filter to "iPad" causes all the icons to disappear instead of filtering.

3. It's impossible to rate or review any installed app. This only applies to the iPad version of the app store as far as I can tell.

i have same proplems with my ipad

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711