Review: ToodleDo, by ToodleDo

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/toodledo-to-do-list/id292755387?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]ToodleDo[/URL], by ToodleDo
$2.99, ****

Pros:

? Easy to add tasks
? Lots of categorization/organization options
? Syncing available online (not tried)
? Universal binary

Cons:
? Can?t free hand/add images or pictures

I will be the first to admit, I do not use to do lists too many times. While people sometimes want either simple (ease of use) or complex (lots of features) to do apps, I usually find that the apps are either too simple or too complex. ToodleDo seems to strike a nice balance between these two extremes.

When you start ToodleDo, you are presented with the summary screen. From here, you can view tasks (sorted into folders, by due date, by priority, etc), you can add a task, or you can view all tasks (which are again sortable by a variety of features. The add a task option is very simple ? click on the button, type the task, and hit ?add task?. If you want to modify details, like alarms, due dates, priority, adding a note, you can do that by tapping the ?edit details? button. You can even file tasks for different categories (or folder) ? work, home, etc. For students this might be particularly useful so that you can sort tasks by class.

The notebook tab at the bottom will bring you to the notebook page ? basically sort of a memo pad. This is not ?attached? to any tasks, but simply can serve as a way to write memos, jot down notes, or anything else that you might need. Just like the tasks, you can file them away in different folders, but since it is not a ?to do? item, there is no priority, due date, or anything like that. It would be nice to be able to link a task with a note, but for now each task can have a note associated with it, separate from the notebook.

The settings tab allows you to adjust the wide range of settings available. You can synchronize with the online version (which I did not try), you can indicate what the application badge will indicate (overdue tasks, todays tasks, etc), you can even adjust preferences like font size and list details. From what I could test, it seems that just about every little feature you might want associate with a to do list is included in the settings page.

Unfortunately, you don?t have any sort of ?scribble? pad or photo/voice recording option to associate with tasks. While this would start to get too complicated in my book, I can see how some people might want these features added to the preferences or options. One nice thing is that the app is a universal binary, so you can use it on your iPhone or iPad (all for one low price). Note for people reading the review, the pictures are from the iPhone version, but all the features are the same in the iPad version.

I really like the fact you can adjust the application badge as well as the alarms. Too many times I might see a badge on an application, but not really be sure what it means. I also really like the ?folders? organization aspect of the app ? keeping things separate if you want helps me too keep more organized. Unfortunately you can?t create a new folder at the same time you are creating a new task ? it seems obvious that you should be able to, but those two options are kept separate.

All in all, ToodleDo is a nice, full featured, easy to use to do list app. It has a number of features that I haven?t seen in other apps, including the ability to customize the badges, and it retains many of the features that I would expect to see in a to-do app. The price for the universal binary is reasonable, $2.99, especially when you consider it has online syncing so all your devices can show the same to do list. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. 

Bionicspyder

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I use this app as my primary to do list and the online syncing with "the cloud" is nice as well. The website side could be a little more user friendly however.

736dave

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I used to be pretty happy with toodledo but now that google tasks have been sorted out, I use that with GeeTasks.

I fall into the category you mentioned above: 'simple' as I am a firm believer that accomplishing just one of your top three tasks is more valuable that completing 10 of your low priority tasks.

For work, I have started using iMEchange2 which appears to use OWA to sync with MSExchange.

If I must manage complex stuff, I use ms project. Go hard or go home :)