I downloaded the Chase mobile banking app and was wondering how secure it is compared to a normal web browser on a computer. I realize it depends on what wifi network you are connected to ( whether it is public or private) but in terms of just using the 3G network, how secure is it? Should I worry about someone being able to steal my login information?
    02-15-2011 10:07 AM
    I downloaded Bank of America but haven't used it yet because I'm unsure for the same reason you are. In addition to your question, if I access the app using my home wifi, is that more secure the 3G?
    02-15-2011 10:10 AM
    Do you use a credit card at a restaurant where the waitron takes the card, wanders off to God knows where, and brings it back for you to sign the slip? You're at more risk from that than a mobile banking app. They use secure data transfer protocols, just like when using a secure website on a PC. The real danger is losing your phone, and not having a password to unlock it, and someone getting into your stuff that way.
    02-15-2011 10:17 AM
    I use PNC's virtual wallet, they claim it's an encrypted connection to their servers. I have to enter my full password every time as well. I really only use it to check balances and that stuff. If I had to I would do a transaction. I assume Chase and BoA's apps are similar in usage.

I'd say it's at least equally as safe. Maybe safer as it's far easier for your desktop to get malware etc. that could capture your passwords or intercept the connections.
    02-15-2011 10:26 AM
    Good point..thanks sting7k!
    02-15-2011 10:49 AM
    More people get their identity stolen by trashcan rummaging or phishing than actual hacking.
    I use pageonce and it's a very nice app, let's you see everything in one place and you can delete all of your info over the web if you lose your phone.
    02-15-2011 11:11 AM
    I use PNC's virtual wallet, they claim it's an encrypted connection to their servers. I have to enter my full password every time as well. I really only use it to check balances and that stuff. If I had to I would do a transaction. I assume Chase and BoA's apps are similar in usage.

I'd say it's at least equally as safe. Maybe safer as it's far easier for your desktop to get malware etc. that could capture your passwords or intercept the connections.
    Very valid point, I have been using it and assumed there would be a high level of security but I was curious to hear what others thought. I will continue to use my Chase app as it has a great interface.
    02-15-2011 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD