Push to Talk Comes to the iPhone Finally!!

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I fondly remember when I had my Nextel i1000 phone. It was a clam shell phone and it was so cool to be able to two-way friends and co-works. It was a fairly quick way to communicate. Well time flew by and if you had a Nextel phone you started noticing newer and cooler phones coming out on other carriers, but the Nextel offerings were terrible to say the least. In 2007 it was with sadness that I left Nextel and switched to Treo 700wx and 2008 to iPhone. I've never forgotten the functionality that it provided me and have waited for a comparable solution.

Well there is not only one but two options for iPhone and Android users.

The first option I found is called HeyTell for iPhone, iPod touch (2nd generation), iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), and iPad on the iTunes App Store
HeyTell is free and has some in app purchases for group messaging and other options. The pro with HeyTell is the user interface, the con is that sending a message can be delayed by seconds up to a minute depending if your of 3G or wifi. HeyTell uses phone numbers for id's.

The second option is called TiKL - Touch to Talk for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
TiKL is also free. The pro with TiKL is that message delivery is instant. It is truly the most like Nextel's two-way. The con is the interface. It needs work in comparison to HeyTells. I posted on TiKL Facebook page and the dev said they are aware and that upgrades and new features will be coming. TiKL uses phone numbers or can use Facebook id's.

Both of the apps allow cross communication with iPhone <--> Android. So in certain respects this is better than Nextel because you can talk to any Android device on any network and I would imagine a Verizon iPhone.

So if you've been missing push-to-talk give these two a try, and if there are other push-to-talk apps out there be sure to let me know.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Please don't revive this ugly habit. PTT is great for people working out in the field, otherwise it's just plain rude. Use the phone as a phone and don't force your entire conversation on everyone around you.

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Please don't revive this ugly habit. PTT is great for people working out in the field, otherwise it's just plain rude. Use the phone as a phone and don't force your entire conversation on everyone around you.

People who use their phone as a phone can take this advice. Some need to be reminded they are on a phone, a device used to aid in talking to people who are great distances away, so they don't have to YELL when they are talking to them.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Alli. PTT is the bane of mobile communication... and just what we need for the iPhone... NOT.

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Alli I agree that there are certain manners that need to be followed when using push to talk. I personally use it when driving instead of texting. People can be rude just talking on the phone period depending on time and place. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. :)

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Alli, this is NOT PTT (push to talk), this is essentially just Voice Messaging (text messaging without the typing)

The HeyTell you can tell it's Voice Messaging. But I don't think the TiKL is. Because as soon as you press to talk your voice is can be heard on the other side while your still talking. Where Heytell you finish what your saying before the message is sent.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner