Review: GeoDefense by Critical Thought Games

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/geodefense/id305608325?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]GeoDefense[/URL], by Critical Thought Games
$1.99, *****

Pros:

? Complex tower defense game requiring strategy
? Simplistic graphics work within the scheme of the game

Cons:
? ?Generic? upgrade option is limiting
? Must purchase level packs for more levels

As seen in my previous review, I am a big fan of tower defense games. Most games choose to focus on one aspect ? nice graphics, fancy towers, new gameplay. GeoDefense keeps most things very simple, very basic, but instead focuses on the game play, developing a very difficult tower defense game in the process.

GeoDefense is a tower defense game that has the overall same model as many others ? basic tower types (fast shooter, long range shooter, bomb, etc), a path that the enemy following, the ability to upgrade your tower, and so on. On the surface, it looks very much like every other tower defense game. When playing, you can choose the kinds of levels you want to play ? easy, medium, or hard. Within each difficult, you have 10 to 14 levels to complete (you can also buy level packs ? they only have one available right now, 6 more levels for $0.99).

When you start to play, you begin to realize where this version of the tower differentiates itself. The game is not some easy; just place any tower anywhere kind of tower defense game. The difficult levels can get to be VERY difficult. This is done with the enemies released, the shape of the track ? even things like playing levels where you only have one life before you die. Overall, I have found this tower defense game much more challenging than some of the other variants of tower defense game?and I like it.

While the graphics aren?t anything incredible, they are very nicely done and this clearly was not just quickly thrown together. Despite their simplicity, if you pay close attention to the graphics, you will notice things that are seamlessly included ? like a ?warping? effect around the enemies when you destroy them. Small touches like this seem to indicate that the simplicity was deliberately chosen, not simply an attempt to rush the app development.

One really nice thing is that all the levels are unlocked from the beginning. You don?t need to beat a certain level to progress. This (presumably) was done because of the difficulty of some of the levels ? there is a chance it would take ages to unlock everything.

Also important to note is that when you fail a level (and you will, at least on the medium and hard levels), the game tries to console you with some cheap shot or insult?such as ?this level was voted easiest of all?, or ?I am not impressed?.

A couple of things I am disappointed about. The first is the lack of information about the towers. Aside from knowing the tower type, and the range (represented by a circle on the field) you don?t know anything else ? shot strength, rate of fire, overall effect, etc. In addition, when you upgrade, you don?t know to what degree towers are upgraded. Is it better to buy two level one towers, or upgrade one tower to a level two? Who knows? Along those lines, you can?t choose what ability you want to upgrade ? strength, rate of fire, range. It would be nice to be able to specify the upgrade type.

Overall, GeoDefense is a great tower defense game, addicting and difficult. A few minor quibbles aside, it is one of the best tower defense games I have played. The simplistic graphics hide an engrossing, time consuming, and at time pulling-your-hair-out difficult game that should appeal to any tower defense addict. At $1.99, the cost is not at all prohibitive, and any tower defense player should consider purchasing this game. Five out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2