Looking for SMS app

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for an app that I can put on my son's iPod Touch so that he could SMS with my wife and I (and possibly grandparents).

Requirements:

Easy to use and set up. I'm sure he could probably figure out the app easily enough, but I don't want a lot of complex stuff in there. It's a 1G iPod Touch, so he doesn't need a bunch of extras.

Push Notifications (and badges, preferably)

Preference:

No ads

Ability to send to other carriers (preferably direct ability to send to other phone numbers) since grandparents and uncles don't have AT&T/iPhones.

It doesn't have to have its own phone number, though that would probably be a requirement of being able to send to my wifes family's dumbphones and my mom's blackberry.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
also if he uses AIM already he could use the AIM app to send text messages too,

it fits all the requirements except the unique # but it will use his screen name when sending texts and you can reply to it.

David Allan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
There are lots of SMS applications for iPhone such as iSMS's, iRealSMS, SMSNotify, biteSMS and SwirlyMMS. I?m sure it?ll be useful for you.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
There are lots of SMS applications for iPhone such as iSMS's, iRealSMS, SMSNotify, biteSMS and SwirlyMMS. I?m sure it?ll be useful for you.

Most of those won't work on an iPad as it doesn't have sms to start with. That was the point of looking for something.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I've run into a snag with this project.

I decided on Text Plus (on Alli's recommendation), but I'm having an issue with it.

I got the version that is unlimited (was $7.99, now free though with a lot of ads). It says it can do picture messaging, but when my wife or I try to send him pictures, they don't come through. I've tried contacting the developer through twitter, but who knows if/when they will get back to me.

So I'm stuck again. I would prefer to be able to send mms to a phone number and have him get it on his iPod Touch (1g remember), but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that. I thought about Google Voice, but they don't support mms, and the way to send mms is overly complicated (since you have to send to an email address rather than a phone number)

Any ideas/suggestions?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The only person I know whose child uses an iPT this way uses Text Plus - which is why I recommended it.

You could try WhatsApp. It now supports iPads and iPT's. And unless it's an issue with the 1st gen device, it should work for sending picture messages. Or you could just use email.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
That's true, though I'm trying to avoid having to send to email. So much easier to text it to a phone number and have it work that way; though I may end up going with the GV option through iTim (details here). Still an email address to send to, but it's 1 app if I integrate Google Voice with it.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Apparently on Text Plus you have to send pic messages to "username" @textnow.me

Would be SO much easier if Google would finally implement MMS support into GV.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro