Google Voice

puffdc

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I would like to use GV solely for text messaging...whenever I receive a text I get one to GV & the other to the stock SMS . Am I defeating the purpose of "free " texts by still receiving texts to the stock messaging app? How do I "turn off" the OS SMS?
Thanks in advance!
Is that even possible?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure you're in the right part of the settings? It's NOT under "Voicemail & Text" if that's where you're looking--instead, you need to edit it under the Phones heading. Try these instructions:

GV website | Settings (upper right) | Voice settings | Phones | (your iPhone number) | Edit | Receive text messages on this phone | UNCHECK and SAVE

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Not quite, you still want to leave Mobile checked, but click Edit under your mobile number, then uncheck the "receive text messages...." option.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm indeed. If you're sure you're looking at the right option, you could try this which I've read works for some people:

-set SMS option to ON; Save
-send your phone a text; Open/Close it
-set SMS option to OFF; Save

Worth a try, I suppose.

puffdc

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
ok, I was messing around with the actual GV app & apparently I unchecked it on my phone...all is well now no more duplicate texts! Thanks for all your input!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The latest update for GV should auto disable text forwarding to your phone so you should only get notifications to the GV app. Or disable text forwarding to your cell phone number through the web settings on a desktop.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods