I just started using google voice and it's great. I do not know much about the iPhone but could I use google voice as my main number. I do not talk on the phone much. I mainly want to do it for the free text messages. So, am I able to use the google voice app as my main phone app. Using my google voice phone number as my main number for calls and text.
    12-20-2010 11:14 PM
    You can mostly do what you're looking for through the GV app as you mention, but the process is not as quick or slick as the native apps. By setting your GV number to forward to your cell, you can ask others to call the GV number, but be aware that it does use voice minutes from your plan.

If you're willing to jailbreak, you can use the GV Extensions to make the process a little more seamless in terms of using the default iPhone apps with your GV number.
    12-20-2010 11:25 PM
    Wasn't the official google voice app released
    12-20-2010 11:33 PM
    What is the difference between google voice and Skype ?
    12-21-2010 08:15 AM
    I think they do the same thing but Google Voice is an integrated Google Service. If you already have a gmail, or Google account, then you can use Google Voice. Pretty sure they do the same thing though.
    12-21-2010 08:21 AM
    They're not the same thing at all.

Skype is a voip service--you're using your data plan for your calls. Google Voice has a bunch of features, but the main one is that it gives you a new phone number that you can tie to any or all of your phones (cell, work, home landline, etc). BUT when you call with GV it still uses the minutes of your cell phone plan.
    Alli likes this.
    12-21-2010 08:27 AM
    Correct, Massie. Bottom line is GV is not voip, it just piggybacks onto your phone service, whether it's cell or landline.
    12-21-2010 08:44 AM
    I apologize. Sorry about that. Thanks for the info.
    12-21-2010 08:47 AM
    I just started using google voice and it's great. I do not know much about the iPhone but could I use google voice as my main number. I do not talk on the phone much. I mainly want to do it for the free text messages. So, am I able to use the google voice app as my main phone app. Using my google voice phone number as my main number for calls and text.
    I have been doing this for....well as long as you have been able to do this. I love it! I use GV as my main Business Office number. ALL calls come through GV. I can get text with it but I don't as much since I publics GV as a "landline".

I also have it set up where all of my incoming and outgoing calls with GV are free. I use GV and AT&T's A-List. This has saved me and the Family a LOT of many! Here is a link to LifeHacker Articles that may help you get started.

FWIW, I am now UN-Jailbroken and using GVConnect.
    12-21-2010 09:22 AM
    Wasn't the official google voice app released
    Yes, however it still uses minutes and you have to do Click2Call (I believe)

Free texting is great, and the GV Extensions I mentioned for Jailbreak are not necessary, but they streamline usage.
    12-21-2010 12:00 PM
    And how to install google voice?
    12-22-2010 08:35 AM
    Isnt it in the app store now?
    12-22-2010 09:21 AM
    It is in the app store.
    12-22-2010 02:10 PM
    do you have to have a gmail account to use google voice?
    12-22-2010 05:24 PM
    do you have to have a gmail account to use google voice?
    Yes. You must have a Gmail account, unless they have changed it. At least Gmail is free.
    12-22-2010 05:42 PM
    Google voice work nice and light, skype take a bit more memory and other applications stop or slow down while talking through skype.
    12-23-2010 01:27 AM
    One of the problems with Google Voice right now is that in many areas they don't have local phone numbers available. I saw an article the other day where Google announced that Google Voice calling was going to remain free through 2011. It'll be interesting to see how the service develops over the years.
    12-23-2010 05:59 PM
    So, I can have a cell number in one area code, and a GV number with another? Both use my minutes, thats OK. Sounds good for my use.
    12-23-2010 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD