iPad Apps for Students?

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hello TiPb! So could my fellow forum members name some good apps for the college student? Being one myself, I'm looking for note taking apps, organizers, etc. Also any accessories that could be good? Thanks.

wiggy1

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
You need GoodReader for sure. You may also want to check out PenUltimate and MobileNoter as well.

What other platforms do you use regularly (Mac, Linux, Windows)? There are some great utilities that would allow you to connect to your primary computer remotely and access applications and information while studying on the go.

AppsforiPads

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
You might want to check out note taker hd or notes plus, both great note taking apps. Check out the video reviews at appsforipads.net to determine which best suits your needs!

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Flickr and facbook must be ones.
I think there are many online, you can take google search, and this site: appolicious.com an iPad and iPhone apps site~

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inclass/id374986430?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Here's[/URL] one that I found today. It's free.

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
In grad school, I used Omnifocus for ToDos/homework and ReaddleDocs to store and read all of my PDFs and PPTs. pCalc and Soulver for math courses.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to try out Omnifocus but it's too expensive. This is one of the reasons why I keep saying that App Store needs a trial period on all apps.

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately, that's the way that the store is set up.

With the Omni apps, you know by reputation that they are extremely well-crafted and well-supported. The Mac version of OmniFocus is fully functional for 14 days without a license. Try that before you buy. If that doesn't fit your style of working, then spending the money to acquire the whole suite is a mistake.

Personally, I don't see a compelling reason to go with OmniFocus on the iPhone or iPad without coupling it to the Mac version. At least you can use their sync service if you're not a MobileMe subscriber now.

Expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for in my opinion.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
People keep recommending Things to me, too. They say it's not as in depth and complicated, which is why they use that instead.

t854535

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I got one! it is good for student
Free download for limited time...

XBOOKZ is a special book reading APP which suports mutimedia within its books.
With XBOOKZ, you can create your desired books and share with your friend.

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
People keep recommending Things to me, too. They say it's not as in depth and complicated, which is why they use that instead.

Some people love Things, but they still haven't managed OTA syncing (which is baffling, they've been working on it forever). That alone makes me question their service.

Admittedly, I'm an Omni fan :)

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Well, I bought Things for the iPad and the iPhone yesterday. Pretty shibby app, honestly. About half the price for both as Omnifocus.

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I now own Omnifocus on all three platforms. Just as nice! I am going to figure this one out and use it for school. The "projects" section looks like it was meant for that.

Welcome to Omni :)

There's no "proper" way to set OF up, but this is how I had mine for school (only slightly different now that I've graduated)

Miscellaneous (catchall folder of Single Actions)
School (Folder)
School Misc (Folder)​
Registration​
Action(s)​
Tuition​
Action(s)​
Graduation​
Action(s)​
Class 1 (Folder)​
Project 1​
Action(s)​
Project 2​
Action(s)​
Class 2 (Folder)​
Work (Folder)
Home (Folder)
Travel (Folder)
Shopping (Folder)

Work, Home, Travel & Shopping were similarly broken up into projects and actions.

Hopefully that gives you a sense of the structure I used (different things work for each person though). If you haven't taken a look at David Allen's "Getting Things Done," I highly recommend it to help you get organized.

Good luck, and definitely check out the forums on Omni's site.

Last edited:

jrpierce

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I'd recommend SoundNote. I came from using Microsoft word in notebook layout where I recorded every lecture as I took notes. This app is the iPad equivalent of that. It allows you to click on a word in your notes and it will bring the marker to that specific point in the recording. This way you can take simple notes and go back to fill them in later or just fix any notes that you may have missed from a given lecture.

chadman

TiPb Blog and Forum Staff
Sep 7, 2006
twitter.com

Things is good but lacks some key features like creating repeating tasks on the iPhone/iPad and no cloud sync. OmniFocus FTW!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal